Page 1 of 2
Was playing my guitar and thought to myself what the hardest technique is?

I know alot of people are going to say sweeping here most likely but in YOUR opinions what do you think the hardest technique is?
Quote by Demonikk
Sig quotes can't be raised in captivity as you are trying to do, they must be taken from their natural environment, the vast plains of the pit for them to be truly beautiful

B# and E# exist. IN THEORY.
Prove me otherwise on your guitar.
various string skipping things
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
i'm still having trouble speedpicking at shred-speed

i've been at it for so long
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
i'd have to say like guitar drumming. is you dont know what it is go to youtube, and look up a song called Africa by Andy Mckee. it is very difficult to play with one hand, and beat the guitar with the other.
sweeping is only hard if you dont have any coordination between your left and right hands.

sweeping cleanly is what gets tricky and is something 95% of guitarists cant do. if you sweep and take offense to that, you lie in that 95%.

id have to say 8 finger tapping is the most difficult. ive tried it myself (key word: tried) and gave it up, but ive seen a few guitarists pull it off and it sounding good... like Jeff Loomis...youtube him

edit- and yeah, Andy Mckee kicks ass
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Last edited by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr at Jan 27, 2008,
I thought tapping would come up but I had forgotten about 8 finger tapping, I've only seen it like once and yeah i consider that ALOT harder than sweeping. unfortunately the hardest tapping i can do is the crusade by trivium probably. thanks to everyone who has inputted so far!
Quote by Demonikk
Sig quotes can't be raised in captivity as you are trying to do, they must be taken from their natural environment, the vast plains of the pit for them to be truly beautiful

The hardest thing I have ever attempted was the solo for Dream Theater's "In the Name of God". It's sweeps while string skipping. 8 fingered tapping is like taking candy from a baby compared to that.
definitely pronounciation, through detailed dynamics, but it's also the most rewarding one

all that technical stuff can easily be learned with time and dedication alone, but purely with the fingers.. this one needs your ear, at speed, and takes constant changes and readjustments, instead of the same thing in the same way over and over again where you rarely use the brain, which is the home of your music
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Last edited by Funkicker at Jan 27, 2008,
Tremolo picking - as in flamenco tremolo picking with acompanied bass notes

----5-5-5-5----5-5-5-5----5-5-5-5-----------
---------------------------------------------------
----------------------------2---------------------
---------------0h2h3----------------------------
-0h2h3------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------

I think this took me the longest to learn, you can try and count it out it's useless considering the speed it should be played at. And then playing in compas and putting some heart in it - real pain.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
for shredding definetly eight finger tapping

and in the in the name of god solo, i dont think he actually string skips while sweeping. Its either a mistake when he played when he was trying to do an E arpeggio or the more like thing a bad tab
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by metalmaster362
for shredding definetly eight finger tapping

and in the in the name of god solo, i dont think he actually string skips while sweeping. Its either a mistake when he played when he was trying to do an E arpeggio or the more like thing a bad tab

No man I've seen it live. On the ascending sweep he skips the A and D strings and on the descending he skips the G and B strings.
String skipping-tap-sweeps would be rather tricky

But I agree that all of this can be physically mastered and then made insanely boring if it's got no style or thrills with it
Quote by isaac_bandits
String skipping while sweeping?

Yep. I don't know how it's possible, but then I realize that it's Petrucci so it doesn't have to make sense. He is such a great guitarist he finds ways of changing the laws of physics as he plays
Al di meola does flamenco fingerstyle? I thought he was just a killer jazzy alternate picker. For me it's a completely different schooling that I've never dove into so I can't rate its difficulty other than that it's hard. For me some 10 finger tapping stuff I'm working on is the hardest.
For me it's alternate picking. Sweeping was hard to "get", but once I figured out how to do it I could pretty much sweep anything. My alternate picking is taking a while to catch up to my left hand, and it's taking a lot of practice to bring on any improvements.
Yep. I don't know how it's possible, but then I realize that it's Petrucci so it doesn't have to make sense. He is such a great guitarist he finds ways of changing the laws of physics as he plays [/QUOTE

Not really... Its just string skipping appegio's.... You cant really combine sweeping and string skipping, they contradict eachother in a way.... Paul Gilbert does lots of the string skipping appegio's
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by CowboyUp
For me it's alternate picking. Sweeping was hard to "get", but once I figured out how to do it I could pretty much sweep anything. My alternate picking is taking a while to catch up to my left hand, and it's taking a lot of practice to bring on any improvements.

I almost agree with you..... Alternate/economy picking is a technique alot of people can do, but not many can do extremely well.....

My vote would go to perfecting right hand technique in classical and/or flamenco guitar.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by capiCrimm
Improvising shred at tempo.

Dude that is the easiest thing to do (at least for me) but its much harder to improvise AND play as soulfull as John Petrucci
8 finger tapping(nubbing) isn't really as hard as it seems... essentially, it's like re-learning guitar left handed and at an akward angle. all u have to do is to put as much effort into it as you did with regular playing when you first started... it's only difficult because u're so use to playing, probably, that after a while it just feels natural, like walking, but if you were to try and play left handed*that's if u're right handed, or vice-versa* it's like having to learn all over again, and that's essentialy what 8 finger tapping is.
well kudos to anyone who can do most of the things mentioned above.
because i certainly can't even sweep properly yet haha.
as for alternate picking i think i have that pretty downpat.. dunno how well but atleast i got out of the habit of down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, up, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, down, etc etc..
Quote by Demonikk

Quote by TheShred201
N031, 8 finger tapping doesn't strictly mean Nubbing, which is a relatively straightforward technique. It can get a lot more complex than that. Though like I said, for me 10 fingers is where it gets hard.

Get a chapman stick for that perhaps?
Its not like touch guitar, which I'm good at, though I don't want to spend a few grand on a Chapman stick right now. Th 10 finger stuff I'm working on is (some of it) like some Dave Martone Stuff, and some is somewhat like nubbing but wit some differences. If you want I'll send you a GP file of stuff.
8 finger tapping is difficult . . . . . but to me it never sounds that great.

Neither does sweeping, but I'd say it's harder.

Blazing fast alt picked arpeggios aint no cakewalk either.
what happened to the proposed Kirk Hammett flamenco album?

His acoustic didn't sound good with wah pedal, I suppose.
Dude that is the easiest thing to do (at least for me) but its much harder to improvise AND play as soulfull as John Petrucci

that was implied. For example, you can learn vibrato in about five seconds. To do it good takes a lot longer. Anyone can hit random notes and run patterns at speed. To be able to artfully hear and play with the music is hard.
well the hardest technique i can think of that i would like to see anyone do,(if there is a pro that does this can someone send me a video please) is....

a scale progression using 5 notes per string using all four fretting fingers stretched like crazy, and a tapping finger(or 2 for 6 notes per string). Because this uses more notes, if you dont want to double a note you also have to progress your hands up the fret board very quickly.
Huge string skips, like from the B string to the high B string on a 7......i respect people who can do that cleanly and quickly, like Chris Broderick.
I always felt that awkward placed hammer and pull offs were the hardest. I'm not that experienced yet so I still have trouble with some stuff like this. The song H by tool has a really weird hammer/pull off section that always gave me trouble.

I don't even wanna think about sweep picking yet
Quote by diminishedtobme
^I think you mean playing an arpeggio using string skipping.

No it's possible. He does it in In The Name of God. He skips a string while sweeping.

I think some of the crazy 8 finger tapping is hardest. Nubbing is pretty easy compared to that. And so is crazy fast trem/alt picking.
Quote by TheShred201
Manjinken, I'm going to work on that. do you want just straight up a scale, a specific pattern or whatever. I already have that down on one string. The cool part is that by doing that you can do an over an octave with 2 strings.

word, if you send me a video when you got it down that would be cool. Help inspire me to continue practicing it. Im bout ready to give up because my fingers simply will not stretch any furhter, so ive been spending the last few days continuing to stretch in hopes that they will.
Hmm i dont have any trouble at all with fast alternate picking/sweeps/hammer ons but i find it quite hard to do fast descending pull-off runs cleanly (especially between my pinky and 3rd finger) its odd because i always thought that i had quite alot of strength in my pinky finger but obviously there are different muscles used for this.
Page 1 of 2