Hi,
I'm spending all my money on a bass (only 200-300) and i plan on recording with line in. But it would be nice to have and amp. So basically i want something that does not buzz which it a problem i've had with all cheap amps, and sounds decent ie. really if theres not distortion.

I'm probably asking to much but its worth a try. And anything above $200 Australian ($150 - $180 US) is'nt realy usefull to me because i'm a guitarist and im spending alot of money on a tube combo soon.

I looked at the FAQ but it didnt have prices.
Anyway as always any help would be very much apriciate.

Have a look at these and recomend them as this is the cheapest place for me to buy stuff. https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=browse&id=40
Last edited by white chocolate at Jan 27, 2008,
not that a want to start an argument but i disagree. You sound starts at the instrument therefore you want quality from the beggining.
Still...your amp's preamp boosts and lowers certain frequencys that give a certain amp a certain charachter.

Ashdown is a nice amp company from what ive heard, though those amps will never be usefull for a gig or even practice if thats your intention with it.
When I was in the market for a cheap practice amp, nothing really cheap suited me. After trying out everything that was in the shop, I found out that spending 350 euro's on a SWR LA-12 was the most sensible thing to do. It was far outside my budget, but all amps cheaper than that simply didn't cut it.
I'd suggest you look for something second hand. Or do what I did when I was in your situation; borrow your neighbour's Galien & Krueger.
Amp affects you tone far more than the bass.

A $50 and a $1500 bass will sound pretty much the same through an awful amp. However, even a $50 bass will sound pretty damn good through $1000 worth of amplification.

A guitarist comparison. Either putting a vintage Gibson Les Paul through a 10W Marshall MG, or putting some no name guitar through a full tube Marshall. The latter sounds better than the former. Invest more in the amp.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yanno, the instrument/amp argue, i have to disagree with all and agree with all. It all depends on your style and what kind of sound your looking for.

And as for a small amp, personal i own a 20 watt hartke, i forget how much i got it for, but it was pretty dang cheap, and i love the sound, not as good as my ampeq, but it works for me at my school.
If you only want it to record, you should just by a Line6 Toneport.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by gm jack
A $50 and a $1500 bass will sound pretty much the same through an awful amp. However, even a $50 bass will sound pretty damn good through $1000 worth of amplification.

I agree with the idea behind this - get a good amp with a good bass, but I tell you right now, my Warwick and Jazz sound ****ing unbelievable through my Rumble 15. Sure, it disappears when a guitar starts playing, but it sounds wonderful.

My $100 8-string sounds like a piece of crap through my huge stack. Yeah, with my Fulltone I can get a useful tone out of it, but not as-is.

The point is, though, you want a good amp to match a good bass. If you have a crappy bass, a good amp will make it sound like a loud, clear crappy bass. Yes, you'd want a crappy bass before a crappy amp, but I think that has more to do with the fact that you can use it in a band setting more than the actual tone fidelity.

Either way, you're shooting at the ground, threadstarter. You won't get much of an amp at that price - period. It's all the same, really, assuming you avoid Behringer. A $300AU bass with a $180AU amp won't sound good any way you slice it. Let's not forget how insultingly high gear prices are in Australia.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by RealGuitarHero
you should aways invest more in your amp then in your instrument

Did you read what he is saying though? He's using the bass primarily to record which needs no amp.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by BadBishop
Did you read what he is saying though? He's using the bass primarily to record which needs no amp.

Then why not just get a SansAmp?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz

Ask that to threadstarter
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by thefitz

Cause they kill your mids .

Great sounding things soloed, or even in a band situation, just not if you want to be heard!

Actually, get the Sansamp ParaDriver if you want to keep your mids!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
got a second hand carlsbro pro bass 150 for about $70 the paranmetic EQ on it is brill

Already had two 2x12's i could use with it so it was a steal IMO :P
Quote by bootyguard
Or when my parents found out that i was having sex in my car my mom let me know cause she started making me 2 sandwhiches i was like "why 2?" and shes like "well you've been doing a lot of exercise recently". my face literally looked like this
Is there a 2nd hand shop anywhere near where you live? That will probably be the best way to go in your situation. $200 can get you a crappy little 10w amp new. If you can't go second hand, I would pick the fender rumble from Billy Hyde. That is already over your budget though...
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.