Page 1 of 3
JimiGrohl
140 IQ
I mean the lyrics in both are often about sorrow and broken hearts? I hate emo rock and I love the blues, but what's the difference really?
linus.d
The loneliest Asparagus
1,170 IQ
listen to the music, not the lyrics and i think you'll get a grip of the difference quite fast...
You like it
GreenDayChris
UG's Orgasm Addict
808 IQ
Emo = emotional hardcore. Started in the 80's or late 70's.
Blues started in what, the 30s maybe?

What you said is like saying metal, pop-punk, rock, indie, blues and emo are the same cos they all have lyrics about love.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
kdog215
AK Thrash
145 IQ
" Cut my wrists and black my eyes. "-hawthorne heights

then listen to some blues.. compare..enough said
Quote by kirkisking
Were you like, physically abused as a child or something?

Squier HSS
Jackson Ke2
Marshall MG100HDFX
Boss METALZONE
Quote by chea_man
why dont chicks have tits on their back for slow dancing?
because sometimes, my friend, there can be too much of a good thing
ozoneslayer
43 IQ
Quote by GreenDayChris

What you said is like saying metal, pop-punk, rock, indie, blues and emo are the same cos they all have lyrics about love.

yea thats right
Fambi
296 IQ
Blues is about when things don't go your way in life.... Emo is about wanting to die. If you admit that there are things wrong in your life, it doesn't mean that you're emo.

Also, blues players have talent, whilst emo players have (virtually) none.
Quote by foob85
Wearable capo? Maybe he means like clamping the capo to his penis and walking around?

Because that's not what I do with my capo.

OVER MY OBJECTIONS!
dan123
Redheaded Rocker
53 IQ
all music is about some kind of emotion hence emo is a stupid name but yeah listen to the two and they are so different >blues =soul whereas Emo =whining
oh yeah the blues was around in one form or another well before the 1930's GreenDayChris it has its roots in the african american work songs field hollers and spirituals
Floydyboi
Matt Bellamy FTW!!!
10 IQ
blues = heart and soul
emo ≠ heart and soul
emo = lets make some fast money and be quite a bit depressing whilst were doing that
Dead_End
The Oxygen Fiend
168 IQ
Quote by GreenDayChris

+1 just listen a bit, you'll get the difference by ear, styles of playing, music, the tones and ways in which they sing, all of it is different in a significant way. good luck telling the difference man ^__^
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by JimiGrohl
I mean the lyrics in both are often about sorrow and broken hearts? I hate emo rock and I love the blues, but what's the difference really?

I am offended by the very nature of that question

Blues is not about sorrow, the blues can be sadness, anger, joy or all of the above,

the blues came out of something that evolved from black christian culture. The blues was originally what would be called confession, it is a way to cleanse your soul of your emotions and feelings. it wasn't originally music per se, though it came to be over time

emo is a type of whiny rock developed during the 1980's

all music is about emotion anyway

now do you see?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Last edited by Carswell98 at Jan 27, 2008,
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,542 IQ
Quote by Carswell98

Blues is not about sorrow, the blues can be sadness, anger, joy or all of the above

riight. and when you find a blues song that is about roughly the same thing as an emo song, the blues song is way more mature
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Dimebag22
☮ ♥ ♫
505 IQ
Wow, blues is totally different than emo. Seeing that question made me cringe a little bit.

Blues is not always about sadness, hurt and sorrow. It is about joy, forgiveness, anger, and sorrow.

I don't think I could have said it much better than Braedon (Carswell98).

But anyways, emo is about 'hurting yourself for your problems' and blues is about getting rid of those problems, overcoming your fears and shortcomings.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Blues is about how you say what you say.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
urik
UG Freak
4,011 IQ
According to Maddox:
Blues is the emo of the 19th century. Only that they real stuff to cry about, like being black for example

Though the emo of the 19th century was awesome
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
Quote by urik
According to Maddox:
Blues is the emo of the 19th century. Only that they real stuff to cry about, like being black for example

You aren't helping urik

Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

JimiGrohl
140 IQ
Yeah I definetly agree what you people say, it's just that this emo scene that is huge right now has made me paranoid and doubtful...but ya know it's all in the blues
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,542 IQ
Quote by urik
According to Maddox:

maddox makes the most sense all the time!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
d_byrne23
------------------
2,587 IQ
early blues players actually had life very rough and would play gigs just to get by..its a lot different then getting yelled at by your parents and wanting to off yourself, early blues did represent a struggle, anyone who knows a bit of history knows that...im not bashing emo, music is music, its art and it all benefits at least one person out there... /thread
Last edited by d_byrne23 at Jan 27, 2008,
pumpkins_rule
UG's Rap crusader
1,404 IQ
If the majority of the posters in here weren't ignorant to what emo music actually is, then maybe I'd elaborate.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Blurry 505
The Northern Countryboy
660 IQ
As said above emocore started late 70's roughly right?
Well blues, did NOT start in the 30's. Are you joking? Blues roots go back to the slave period. Thats where it mainly developed. So lets analyze this a little shall we?

Since blues roots are in the slave era, we can assume right off the bat that it started BEFORE 1865 (end of the American Civil War). Bringing slaves into the US was abolished in 1808 (roughly). So therefore again we can assume that the blues roots were started even before that!

What I'm trying to say is that the blues has been around for an incredible amount of time. It was the way that black men and women would sing in the fields. Some of us whitefolks were "enthralled" by their style, how they used those soulful sounds in their voice. We tried to figure out a style/scale that could emulate that in modern music. So we came up with the blues scale. Not very accurate to what they sang, but close enough.

Emocore: 1970s
Blues: way before 1865

That right there is my rant for the day unless someone refutes this.
Peace!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by GreenDayChris

EH EH.

Almost right on the blues bit.
Blues started around 1890's, as a rough estimate of when "Blues" artists started recording.

But I agree with the rest of it.

MONTSA EDIT: Looks like TS got pwned.
Last edited by ze monsta at Jan 27, 2008,
Carswell98
*heavy sigh*
393 IQ
@ Blurry 505, I couldn't disagree with a word

Quote by pumpkins_rule
If the majority of the posters in here weren't ignorant to what emo music actually is, then maybe I'd elaborate.

Oh I'm so sorry

forgive my ignorance wise one

DO GO ON/sarcasm
Last.Fm

― Terry Pratchett

qft...

TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
pumpkins rule: If you don't post to enlighten those ignorant ones, they'll always be that way.

Here's a rough BB King quote about the blues that i like:

"Here's some music we call the blues. It's supposed to be good for whatever ails you. It's like a good liniment. Take a taste of it and it's good for whatever ails you. . .Most people think blues is supposed to make you feel sad, but blues is supposed to be something you can boogie on like anything else."

Anyway, all that basically says to me that the blues is about any emotion you may have, but the blues is there to be good for you, not necessarily to whine about your problems. I'll let everyone else discuss what emo is about.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Beakwithteeth
Wild and Reckless Hobo
671 IQ
^ Exactly, even though blues is often about being sad and lonesome, the sound of it is uplifting. It isn't about wollowing in self pity, it's about taking something bad and making it good.
Dimebag22
☮ ♥ ♫
505 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
pumpkins rule: If you don't post to enlighten those ignorant ones, they'll always be that way.

Here's a rough BB King quote about the blues that i like:

"Here's some music we call the blues. It's supposed to be good for whatever ails you. It's like a good liniment. Take a taste of it and it's good for whatever ails you. . .Most people think blues is supposed to make you feel sad, but blues is supposed to be something you can boogie on like anything else."

Anyway, all that basically says to me that the blues is about any emotion you may have, but the blues is there to be good for you, not necessarily to whine about your problems. I'll let everyone else discuss what emo is about.

Yeah, thats basically what I said before

This is a Buddy Guy quote :

"Once I was checking to hotel and a couple saw my ring with Blues on it. They said, 'You play blues. That music is so sad.' I gave them tickets to the show, and they came up afterwards and said, 'You didn't play one sad song.'"
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Dimebag22
☮ ♥ ♫
505 IQ
Quote by Axegrinder#9
there really isn't much of a difference. I mean if it hadn't been for emo (the genre that is) there wouldn't have been any blues music.

Gabuydachk
443 IQ
blues and emo are really different styles of music. blues circles around variations of the twelve-bar blues. emo is rooted from hardcore punk. similarities in lyrical subject are kind of arbitrary. most people deal with love and broken hearts, so naming genres for their lyrical content is kind of useless. it's the way they express these common ideas that separates genres (which in reality shouldn't be used as a means of separation in the first place).

'tis life
ze monsta
I wonder why I stay
419 IQ
Quote by Gabuydachk
blues and emo are really different styles of music. blues circles around variations of the twelve-bar blues. emo is rooted from hardcore punk. similarities in lyrical subject are kind of arbitrary. most people deal with love and broken hearts, so naming genres for their lyrical content is kind of useless. it's the way they express these common ideas that separates genres (which in reality shouldn't be used as a means of separation in the first place).

I agree, apart from Blues being based around the 12 bar format, coz that came far later.
rock_and_blues
Banned
892 IQ
Blues is performed by real people who lived a down trodden poverty stricken life and were viewed as bottom feeders by a majority of the population. The music the poor rural blacks produced was an extension of the cultural biggotry they suffered. Emo is performed by over privaledged white suburban kids who have everything in their life handed to them and have the best standards of living, but can't handle the fact that "mommy and daddy dont love me" (when in reality they shower them with everything they want) and that their girlfriend broke up with them (it happens, get over yourself)
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^That may be one of the most generalized posts i've ever read in my life.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
waldorphPRS41
quixotic
1,984 IQ
Quote by rock_and_blues
Blues is performed by real people who lived a down trodden poverty stricken life and were viewed as bottom feeders by a majority of the population. The music the poor rural blacks produced was an extension of the cultural biggotry they suffered. Emo is performed by over privaledged white suburban kids who have everything in their life handed to them and have the best standards of living, but can't handle the fact that "mommy and daddy dont love me" (when in reality they shower them with everything they want) and that their girlfriend broke up with them (it happens, get over yourself)

Wrong. That's what MTV and FoxNews call emo.
Emo started in the 80's and was very hardcore influenced (emotive hardcore) with bands such as Rites Of Spring and Embrace. Later went on in a second wave(like Ska) with bands like Cap'n Jazz , Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas Is The Reason, etc. After that it pretty much died. There are very few bands out there that are still real emo bands. Crap like Hawthorne Heights and My Chemical Romance being called emo is like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte being called punk bands my mainstream media. It really isn't about lyrics like someone else said because most people write about what they are feeling.
rock_and_blues
Banned
892 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^That may be one of the most generalized posts i've ever read in my life.

it was meant to be, obviously not every bluesman is a poor black guy and not every person in an emo band is a whiney teenager, but he wanted to know the difference, and imo thats the difference between blues "sad" and emo "sad" is the fact that the genres are from two vastly different cultures
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
^That's a fair statement, but, even though i don't like emo, i think maybe you're being a bit harsh towards its roots. I doubt every person in an emo band is an over privileged white kid who thinks mommy and daddy don't love him, just like there are plenty of bluesmen (especially almost everyone who's still alive now) who aren't products of poverty and bigotry. (SRV anyone?)

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Axendancy04
11 IQ
blues is emo?

no, emo is... just a todays crappy version of the blues,
the blues is way better and is sorrow, no whinny crying,

ever hear of clapton of srv..... look em up there pretty sweet
rock_and_blues
Banned
892 IQ
Quote by Axendancy04
blues is emo?

no, emo is... just a todays crappy version of the blues,
the blues is way better and is sorrow, no whinny crying,

ever hear of clapton of srv..... look em up there pretty sweet

they sound familiar, i think i saw em in the CR forum though
tomohawkjoe
Up For Crabs
672 IQ
Quote by waldorphPRS41
Emo started in the 80's and was very hardcore influenced (emotive hardcore) with bands such as Rites Of Spring and Embrace. Later went on in a second wave(like Ska) with bands like Cap'n Jazz , Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas Is The Reason, etc. After that it pretty much died. There are very few bands out there that are still real emo bands. Crap like Hawthorne Heights and My Chemical Romance being called emo is like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte being called punk bands my mainstream media. It really isn't about lyrics like someone else said because most people write about what they are feeling.

This is the only post in this thread that didn't dwindle My IQ
Everyone should read this because its pretty much spot on.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
deluxity
...leading to death
1,722 IQ
Quote by waldorphPRS41

indeed

i'm so annoyed by the people who think writing really emotional lyrics is wrong, what would be the point on art then, that's where the actual feeling lies (not in the constipated faces of blues guitarists)

in my opinion, it's pointless to compare blues and emo, they might be complaining about similar stuff, but they're in really different time periods, it wasn't the same whinning back in the 40's that whinning nowadays