i'm thinking about saving up for an old Maestro Echoplex and i wanted to ask anyone that had experience with these products, if it is worth waiting around to find a valve one or if i should just go with one of the solid state ones? do the solid state ones sound any good without comparing them to a tube one? or should i go the whole shebang and get a tube echoplex?
Well Echoplexes are great but have AWFUL reliabilty from what I hear. Get a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo instead, it's probably about the same pricerange, but has MUCH better reliabilty.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
really?...gee that's a downer..i suppose i can't blame them for having bad reliaility because..well....they are from the 60s\70s....i think i still want one anyway..but i'll have a scout around for a fulltone.
Get a Fulltone Tube Tape echo instead! It's a copy of the best tube Echoplexes, but lacks the noise and reliabilty problems! Much better BUY!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

can it make the psychedelic sounds heard on tracks by bands such as..Comets On Fire? on tracks such as.."the Bee and the Cracking Egg"?

Oh, and thank you Gabel for mentioning the $1200 USD price tag
Last edited by rastaman_Marley at Feb 1, 2008,
Quote by Gabel
Get a Fulltone Tube Tape echo instead! It's a copy of the best tube Echoplexes, but lacks the noise and reliabilty problems! Much better BUY!

+1 You'll get warranty and all the good stuff too.
Dude, the old Echoplexes were noisy, unreliable pieces of sh!t, but had a great sound when they worked properly. I had one for years, because they didn't have digital back then, & analog didn't sound nearly as good. Gabe's right about the Fulltone TTE. I've heard one, & it pretty much nails the Echoplex tone without the other hassles. Without question, the best delay I've ever heard. I personally use a Hughes & Kettner Replex, which sounds to me about 90% as good as the TTE, but retails for half the price (I got my Replex on ebay for $285 shipped). The Replex is tube-driven also, & has a "vintage" control that even simulates slight tape inconsistencies.
You WILL kick yourself repeatedly if you try using a real Echoplex on a daily basis. Try a TTE or Replex first!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by rastaman_Marley
can it make the psychedelic sounds heard on tracks by bands such as..Comets On Fire? on tracks such as.."the Bee and the Cracking Egg"?

Oh, and thank you Gabel for mentioning the $1200 USD price tag

Well most Echolpexes in good condition (or good ones in general) go for $1200...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Ive played and fixed many of 'em......heres the rub...Do you LIKE noise? cuz they are noisy...all the time.....now..as for reliability.....they will be as reliable as your are to fixing them..even atfer a primo part/replacement/ every damn new thing you can buy...you are GUARENTEED 2 things......1) itll still be noisy....2) youll have to fix it again..unless you never use it.............
exactly how noisy? and i imagine the solid state ones are quieter yes?

would it be unbearably noisey? would you be able to talk over it? after a few hours of band practice?

and i see EP3s go for like...$400 and they're not perfect condition..but good enough.
the Fulltone TTE is the way to go. Gabel knows his **** so listen to him. I watched that one demo video of the Fulltone Tape Echo and i almost orgasmed.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12