Our band has been asked to play at a Metal festival, but we're a rock band. out of respect we want to play a metal cover song, of a classic, and were wondering what we could attempt. Hardest things the guitarist can play is Green Tinted Sixties Minds for skill level wise.
Seek and Destroy by Metallica would be a cinch, Living after Midnight by Judas Priest is dead easy and in all honesty not even "metal" by todays stanards - and absolute classic of a song though. Anything by Iron Maiden will go down well, Sabbath, UFO, Dio, Saxon....the world's your oyster.

...okay, maybe not Saxon
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
iron man - black sabbath
Let's Have A Game On A Teddy Picker

Squier Mod Stratocaster Arctic White
Vox DA20
Quote by steven seagull
Seek and Destroy by Metallica would be a cinch, Living after Midnight by Judas Priest is dead easy and in all honesty not even "metal" by todays stanards - and absolute classic of a song though. Anything by Iron Maiden will go down well....the world's your oyster.

I'm glad you mentioned Metallica, cause that was the first thing that popped into my head when we said we'd do a cover, but weren't sure which one. I thought maybe For Whom The Bell Tolls or One.
crazy train is pretty cool, just make up the solo! or creeping death by metallica is kick ass! walk by pantera? rain by trivium?
where ever i my roam by metallica, its probably medium difficulty but maybe the solos a bit tougher
Quote by steven seagull
Seek and Destroy by Metallica would be a cinch, Living after Midnight by Judas Priest is dead easy and in all honesty not even "metal" by todays stanards - and absolute classic of a song though. Anything by Iron Maiden will go down well, Sabbath, UFO, Dio, Saxon....the world's your oyster.

...okay, maybe not Saxon

Damn your a mod, with 10k posts you deserve it though.

But lets see...metal.... I would suggest a song everyone knows. Even if it is cliche. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy. Mr. Crowley is a good song. Or you can go for like 80's metal, Rock you like a Hurricane is awesome.(I think thats 80's.)
For Whom The Bell Tolls will go down well, and is dead easy for all of you as Metallica songs go
A7XS oad
Quote by Metallica rulz
Damn your a mod, with 10k posts you deserve it though.

But lets see...metal.... I would suggest a song everyone knows. Even if it is cliche. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Ozzy. Mr. Crowley is a good song. Or you can go for like 80's metal, Rock you like a Hurricane is awesome.(I think thats 80's.)

I think Rock You Like a Hurricane is strictly reserved for airshows and monster truck rallies

There's a pretty big overlap between classic metal and rock in terms of playing style and execution, there's shedloads of potential songs. I'd learn 3 for an encore.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I think Rock You Like a Hurricane is strictly reserved for airshows and monster truck rallies

There's a pretty big overlap between classic metal and rock in terms of playing style and execution, there's shedloads of potential songs. I'd learn 3 for an encore.

Lol yea, I just love the solo though.

But if you are really going for classic metal, I have to say Black Sabbath.
If you want really easy Metallica song then FWTBT,a bit more difficult Seek & Destroy (if your guitarist is good at soloing),or maybe some ballad like Fade To Black,Sanitarium or One (although One is pretty hard one).
Current situation:
Proud owner of Jackson JS30RR and Roland Cube 30X
Irom Maiden. Something like Run to the Hills or Aces High could go down really well, depending on your singer's ability.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by a7xsoad
For Whom The Bell Tolls will go down well, and is dead easy for all of you as Metallica songs go

dude For Whom the Bell Tolls is great, and WICKED easy, it was the first song I learned, and if you want to sound really cool get ur bassist to do a solo in the beginning, thats what Cliff Burton used to do... heres an example (altho im thinking you mite go for wumthing more simple haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22W38jJk81s

^^if ur bassist can play like that then the rest of you might as well just go home ;]

but yeah it wil be a cinch to play like the record, but if to sound like a real metal band pullin out a bass solo would give u props for knowin metallica imo
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
I would also say For Whom the Bell Tolls. I've only been playing guitar seriously for a few months and that was the easiest of all the Metallica songs i learned. Plus the riff and solo aren't hard at all if your band is new! Good luck picking!
Creeping Death By Metallica. Its dead easy, albeit fast and you get to do that "DIE, DIE, DIE" thing in the post-solo section.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1