Page 1 of 2
i just watched the time machine, which was a horrible movie btw, and it got me to thinking.

isn't it pretty much impossible for one to go back in time and seriously **** everything up, because if they screwed up the future, they never would have built a time machine and gone back into the past? so all these ideas about worrying what you do and where you go in the past (in the movies of course) are all pretty much bunk, because anything you do in the past obviously isn't going to screw things up enough to stop you from going back in time, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to do it, right?
See, the thing is. If you build a time machine, you won't be able to go further back in time than the moment the machine was finished.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by Mister.Y
See, the thing is. If you build a time machine, you won't be able to go further back in time than the moment the machine was finished.

how do you figure?
Quote by Mister.Y

Unless you somehow isolate yourself from the spacetime continuum. Which, of course, is impossible because you'd cease to exist.

Time travel ftw, I say.
Quote by Bair
how do you figure?

See, if you go back in time, things will move backwards. You'll first see yourself stepping out of the machine (considering you've made it yourself), then you'll see yourself dissembling the machine. When the machine is not finished, you won't be able to move further back in time.

It does depend on how the machine would work though.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
time travel is impossible, souly because time doesn't really exist outside of human's perception of it. There is no space/time continuum. It's just a measurement. Once something happens, it's gone forever. The past doesn't exist so, no matter the technology, we can never travel to it.

you know, unless we build a flux capacitor.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
yah...the machine its self isnt the issue. its the matter of speed...you the exact speed of light..time stops...faster time moves backwards
Quote by civildp1
time travel is impossible, souly because time doesn't really exist outside of human's perception of it. It's just a measurement. Once something happens, it's gone forever. The past doesn't exist so, no matter the technology, we can never travel to it.

you know, unless we build a flux capacitor.

technology these days is advancing pretty quickly , so I think anything is possible just time travel seems a bit far out of our control
you should still be able to go past the time the machine was finished, because once you make the machine and travel back in time, the machine remains to have been built, and even if it's not a 'machine' per say, it still technically travels back in time with you. the machine that you would encounter in the past isn't the same machine as the one you used to travel back in time, which means that you could technically run into yourself in the past, which means, oh ****. i forgot about this, yea i guess you could **** up the past, because i now remember a thing on the science channel where they were saying that the only logical conclusion to the grandfather paradox was that when you travel back in time, you enter an alternate dimension identical to our own. that way you still end up killing your grandfather, and you still live to go back in time to kill him. the 'real' grandfather from the previous dimension is still alive, but the one in this dimension dies. right, well there we go.
Quote by Bair
yah...the machine its self isnt the issue. its the matter of speed...you the exact speed of light..time stops...faster time moves backwards

You can't move with the speed of light or are you saying Einstein was wrong?
Quote by Mister.Y
You can't move with the speed of light or are you saying Einstein was wrong?

i know you cant unless you can somehow hope on a particle of light...but the theory is that you can...just a matter of figuring out how
Quote by Bair

if my understanding on physics is correct, which it probably isn't, no matter how fast you go, light will always be travelling at the speed of light faster than you. that is, the speed of light relative to you.
wormholes... they've already figured it out, they just haven't figured out how to make a wormhole yet. well it think they have in theory, they just don't have the technology yet. or maybe they do, because i thought they were just going to use magnets or something, but i dunno. it's complicated.
Quote by Bair
i know you cant unless you can somehow hope on a particle of light...but the theory is that you can...just a matter of figuring out how

Well, so far scientist haven't even managed to get one little electron near the speed of light. I think humans will never be able to move with the speed light. Plus, your body will look all stretchy and stuff.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, so far scientist haven't even managed to get one little electron near the speed of light. I think humans will never be able to move with the speed light. Plus, your body will look all stretchy and stuff.

i beg to differ, like i said before , advancing in technology could possibly make as travel the speed of light , but in terms of now, we can't its not possible maybe sometime in the future
Time travel is possible, but we don't have anywhere near the technology to travel at the speed of light.

When you go back in time you can create a paradox, or a separate world of events. The future would no longer exist as it did before if you went back and changed something. Instead the future would be a whole new branch off that event.

SO lets map this out.

A----------B-------------------C

A is past, B is present, C is future.
If you travel from B to A and do nothing, your time line will look like this.

A---------B---------------------C

Now lets say you **** up and kill... Einstein.

A---------B--------------------C
|---------D---------------------E

You have created a paradox I believe its called. And you can create endless amounts of these.
In theory, both universes will still exist and will continue, one will not just end because you messed up the past. Or at least thats what I understand of it.
Quote by fretsonfire74
if my understanding on physics is correct, which it probably isn't, no matter how fast you go, light will always be travelling at the speed of light faster than you. that is, the speed of light relative to you.

if you move at the speed of light then everything ceases to exist...its kind of a limo which obviously we cant comprehend...maybe its like being dead
Quote by Unforgotten
I think a movie session of "Back To The Future" should begin now

all our answer shall be answered, all we need is a super fast car, with a weird thing on the back/

thats the soloution

I wantz the hovering skateboard!
Quote by Unforgotten
I think a movie session of "Back To The Future" should begin now

all our answers shall be answered, all we need is a super fast car, with a weird thing on the back/

thats the soloution

yah lol...fueled by banana peals and coffee grounds.......somehow? haha
Quote by Bair
if you move at the speed of light then everything ceases to exist...its kind of a limo which obviously we cant comprehend...maybe its like being dead

but according to einsteins theory of special relativity, even if you're moving at the speed of light, the speed of light will be moving at the speed of light relative to you. so i don't think you will be able to go back in time.

EDIT: As long as we're trying to go back in time by moving really fast that is.
Surely if people go back in time from the future then that means they've already done it, or something like that. So basically you can't really **** up time because if something has happened and you go back to change it, you can't and end up causing it, but if you don't do anything it will still happen anyway. Time travel is a no win situation...
Quote by Metallica rulz
Time travel is possible, but we don't have anywhere near the technology to travel at the speed of light.

When you go back in time you can create a paradox, or a separate world of events. The future would no longer exist as it did before if you went back and changed something. Instead the future would be a whole new branch off that event.

SO lets map this out.

A----------B-------------------C

A is past, B is present, C is future.
If you travel from B to A and do nothing, your time line will look like this.

A---------B---------------------C

Now lets say you **** up and kill... Einstein.

A---------B--------------------C
|---------D---------------------E

You have created a paradox I believe its called. And you can create endless amounts of these.
In theory, both universes will still exist and will continue, one will not just end because you messed up the past. Or at least thats what I understand of it.

And how do you know this? Have you actually done it? I'm not saying it's possible or impossible, just incredibly implausible.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
The answer is no, its not possible and even if it was the world isnt ready and probably never will be for time travel
can anyone back me up on my wormhole theory?

but yea, the alternate reality thing is the correct solution, metallica rulz is right on that.

as far as going faster than the speed of light to go to the past, even if the speed of light becomes relative to you when you're going the speed of light, wouldn't you still be going faster than the speed of light relative to everything else in the universe, so you'd still be going back in time compared to everyone else? so that should still be possible.
Page 1 of 2