I have been debating getting a guitar for a long time. I finally decided to get an acoustic. I have been listening to a lot of acoustic stuff on youtube like Alice in Chains, Johnny Cash, Nirvana, etc and thought it sounded great. In my opinion it just sounds more soulful than an electric. So I bought Yamaha FG700S. I feel like I got a real good deal. I paid $220 for all of this:

* Yamaha FG700S - Acoustic Guitar.
* Yamaha GS10 - Height Adjustable Guitar Stand .
* Yamaha Quickstart DVD - Basic Guitar Instruction DVD.
* Yamaha Gig Bag - Acoustic Guitar Bag.
* D'Addario EJ11 - Acoustic Guitar Strings.
* Planet Waves PWS100 - Adjustable Black Guitar Strap.
* Fender Guitar Picks - One Dozen Guitar Picks.
* Yamaha Guitar Care Kit
* Dunlop 100 Pegwinder
* Limited Lifetime Guitar Warranty
* FREE UPS Ground Shipping

Not to mention that I have $80 in credit card rewards from Discover that I plan to offset the costs. So my out of pocket costs will only be $140. I know some people may say it's not a great idea to order a guitar I have never played or seen in person, but frankly I was kind of embarrassed to go to a guitar shop and play because I know NOTHING. I could strum some "stuff" but I would really feel foolish doing it.

I was looking through the threads here and the Yamaha FG700S seemed to be one of the guitars consistently mentioned for beginners and even some more advanced players for it's price range.

So I am very pleased with what I got - great guitar for a beginner, bag, straps, stand, picks, etc. I can't wait until it arrives sometime this week (that's when it's scheduled to arrive at least.) I will definitely be hanging around here a lot more now.
Thanks guys. I have been reading reviews and almost all of them have been positive. I can't wait to get my fingers a little sore from playing. I definitely have no intention of ever playing seriously in a band or anything, but I still think it would be a great, positive stress reliever.
Quote by loctan
I paid $220 for all of this:

WOW that is an amazing price for all the things you got!!
any photos to share??
I haven't gotten it yet. UPS tracking says it will get here on the 1st (Friday). I will put up some pictures when I get it though.
congrats on getting it! You seem to have gotten an amazing deal on all that stuff. it looks like a great beginners set.

anyway, since you mentioned guitars as being a positive stress reliever... it really is. in fact, it's even a source of happiness at times for me. whenever i pickup a really good sounding guitar at the store(e.g. a nice and warm 16 series martin, haha) and play it, i just cant help but smile. the wonderful sound just makes me all fuzzy and warm inside, haha!
congrats on the new guitar! you made a great choice. can't wait to see the pictures and hear your review.
Thanks guys. I am really looking forward to getting it and taking some pictures. It will be exciting since I have so much to learn. I am hoping the DVD that comes along with it will give me a good enough start to get going with it a little bit.

It was kind of a big decision getting that first guitar. Because unless you really have experience, it's difficult to tell a "good" guitar from a "bad" one. Unless it was obviously physically constructed cheaply, I don't know that I could tell if it wasn't any good. I am sure that just like anything in time your ears will get in tune with it and you will be able to pick the bad from the good. But fortunately this community is here to help those of us like me with these kinds of decisions.
Last edited by loctan at Jan 30, 2008,
Quote by loctan
Thanks guys. I am really looking forward to getting it and taking some pictures. It will be exciting since I have so much to learn. I am hoping the DVD that comes along with it will give me a good enough start to get going with it a little bit.

It was kind of a big decision getting that first guitar. Because unless you really have experience, it's difficult to tell a "good" guitar from a "bad" one. Unless it was obviously physically constructed cheaply, I don't know that I could tell if it wasn't any good. I am sure that just like anything in time your ears will get in tune with it and you will be able to pick the bad from the good. But fortunately this community is here to help those of us like me with these kinds of decisions.

You made a great choice. The fg700s was the guitar I first bought around 6 months ago, and I never once regretted it. While deciding which one to buy I obsessed over finding the perfect value to quality ratio guitar, but in retrospect I don't think it would have mattered if it was crap or brilliant. The thrill I got of playing my first note, chord and song made me completely forget about how much I worried about getting a "good" guitar. If you love playing music enough, you'll learn to tough out learning how to play and have invaluable experience for when the fun really starts-buying that second guitar that you plan on keeping for the rest of your life. I knew from the moment I started playing I was hooked for life. Enjoy the rest of your journey.