i assume its just another string added onto a standard tuned guitar but i may be wrong.
You're right. it gives you 5 extra notes(or more depending on your tuning for the extra string) everywhere on the fretboard so you can go much lower without going down on the fretboard
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
So you can easily play 7string guitar when you can play the 6stringed? If yes, i'm gonna buy one
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
the thinnest string is a b i think. but yeah it gives u 5 notes on the upper frets.
Quote by HeartRaz0r
So you can easily play 7string guitar when you can play the 6stringed? If yes, i'm gonna buy one

Depends if you have the skills and hands for i.
One the neck ill be wider so it might be more/less comfortable than a 6 string neck. I love the wide neck on them.
Secondly, you need to relearn how tor ead tabs.
Naturally most people read tabs as 3 from the bottom, 3 from the top. You have to learn to read it as 7 from the top instead otherwise you'll keep hitting the low string instead of the E.

but that takes about a day tog et used to. After that its simple. I can switch effortlessly between them now and I've only had a 7 string for a few months
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by jimzer
the thinnest string is a b i think. but yeah it gives u 5 notes on the upper frets.

Thickest and it gives you 5 notes everywhere.

COnventional standard tunings for a 7 string:
Metal/Rock: BEADGBE - you add a low B string
Jazz: EADGBEA - you add a high A string

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Ok well, thanks, : )
Quote by _-=Ali C=-_
i do it a lot. ill be playin somethin and i forget to close my mouth... sometimes its really bad, slobber everywhere. i goes mostly over the neck, on the higher frets, and its really hard to get out from under the strings.
Quote by Fl0ydR0se
Where do you need 7string guitar? They pay alot more than normal.

wha?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
oh i was just wondering and by the way, is it a lower string added of higher string?? (is the 7th the top or botttom)
Quote by BlackCross
oh i was just wondering and by the way, is it a lower string added of higher string?? (is the 7th the top or botttom)

You can do it either way.
Look at my post above.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
yeah, though 7 strings i have seen usually use the extra string to go lower towards bass territory

makes you wonder why there arent more baritone guitars around
Quote by Snapple
yeah, though 7 strings i have seen usually use the extra string to go lower towards bass territory

makes you wonder why there arent more baritone guitars around

because 7 strings arent about the low end, they are about range. different concept to a baritone

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
thats what i mean, there arent many people that play any form of 6 stringed bass
espically since people whine that bass is such as easy instrument
it's really simple, an extra LOW B string there for extra range. it's not just for metal, that's a massive stereotype. ask any guitarist who plays them, they'll say more notes = more possibilities which give you a greater range of everything for making songs.