i did it i finally figured out the modes!

well sort of any ways i figured out that dorian is just the major scale starting on the second note, phyrgian is the 3rd and so on, but the box is annoying the hell outta me

aeolian

|-7-|---|-1-|---|
|-5-|---|-6-|---|
|-2-|--|-3-|-4-|
|-6-|---|-7-|-1-|
|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|
|-1-|---|-2-|---|

aeolian box the numbers represent what number note it is (for those who didn't get it)

so i move onto the dorian but i get stuck what do i do when note 3 is a string below?
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Forget the box, learn the notes and the pattern of intervals - if you're looking for a note that you can't find or reach on a particular string just play it somewhere else.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by aradine
i did it i finally figured out the modes!

well sort of any ways i figured out that dorian is just the major scale starting on the second note, phyrgian is the 3rd and so on, but the box is annoying the hell outta me

aeolian

|-7-|---|-1-|---|
|-5-|---|-6-|---|
|-2-|--|-3-|-4-|
|-6-|---|-7-|-1-|
|-3-|-4-|---|-5-|
|-1-|---|-2-|---|

aeolian box the numbers represent what number note it is (for those who didn't get it)

so i move onto the dorian but i get stuck what do i do when note 3 is a string below?

Thats not a scale you posted. If you moved the two notes on the E string up 1 fret, and moved the highest note down one fret, then it would be Ionian.
Quote by steven seagull
Forget the box, learn the notes and the pattern of intervals - if you're looking for a note that you can't find or reach on a particular string just play it somewhere else.

+1

And congrats on the promotion, steven-who-isn't-actually-called-steven seagull-who-actually-isn't-a-seagull.

although it's a double-edged sword ot be honest, now I HAVE to read through all those comments that follow a Fall Out Boy article
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Modes are not boxes, shapes, patterns, or fingerings. They are a collection of notes with one of them as the tonal center.

However, learning some fingering patterns can be useful, as your fingers will remember where to go to make certain sounds. Use the scale finder on www.wholenote.com. It is under "basics."
You should learn the intervals to them

Ionian: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7
Dorian: 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7
Phyrgian:1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7
Lydian:1-2-3-#4-5-6-7
Mixolydian:1-2-3-4-5-6-b7
Aoelian:1-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7 (99% sure, if someone could clarify please)
Lochrian:1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7

So if it was C dorian you wanted to play

C Ionian: C-D-E-F-G-A-B
C Dorian: C-D-Eb-F-G-A-Bb

So you'd just flatten the 3rd and flattend The 5th
yeah, major +1 to anyone suggesting that you think in intervals. you only need note names when you are talking with other musicians about how to play it... and even then you can easily just say... let's play dorian starting on G... a minor scale with a major 6th
Then, when you have memorised the scale degrees for these modes of the major scale... try the modes for the melodic and harmonic minor.... there mostly just alterations of these modes e.g lydian #2 (which i think is for the harmonic minor) is just a normal lydian mode (1-2-3-#4-5-6-7) but with a sharpend second (1-#2-3-#4-5-6-7)

This will then give you more modes to play around with
^^Adding to your thoughts, learn the harmonic minor from its third degree (ionian #5) as this will make sense to the Ionian mode, and each subsequent mode will be the next mode of ionian, with one altered note.