When I'm on Ebay looking at alder it says it isn't kiln dried. Does wood need to be kiln dried to build the guitar body?? And what type of glue to use when gluing 2 pieces of Alder together???
Thanks in advance.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
I think It does have to be kiln dried soo it sucks all the oil and such from the wood....But idk..saw it on discovery channel lolz.
their are two types of preparing wood for guitar building one is kiln dried wood which as the name says is where the wood is put in a kiln at a relatively low temperature and left for a certain amount of time the other type is seasoned wood which is where the wood is just left alone untill its relieved of its moisture the reason you have to get the moisture out of the wood is if u didnt the wood would warp before u even finished building the guitar anyway seaoned wood is credited as being better then kiln dried wood much like nitrocellulose paints are considered to be better then polyeurathene paints however like nitrocellulose paints the how much of a improvement on the end result is debateable
seasoned wood is more expensive due to the time and cost taken to warehouse the wood
if your not jumping at the thought of finding/buying a kiln or leaving the wood for a long period of time by itself my recommendation is to try guitarmill.com as they aparrently have both seasoned and kiln dried wood in stock they can also make the body and neck for you if you want howerver they mostly do fender style designs
Quote by /\/ / ( /<
their are two types of preparing wood for guitar building one is kiln dried wood which as the name says is where the wood is put in a kiln at a relatively low temperature and left for a certain amount of time the other type is seasoned wood which is where the wood is just left alone untill its relieved of its moisture the reason you have to get the moisture out of the wood is if u didnt the wood would warp before u even finished building the guitar anyway seaoned wood is credited as being better then kiln dried wood much like nitrocellulose paints are considered to be better then polyeurathene paints however like nitrocellulose paints the how much of a improvement on the end result is debateable
seasoned wood is more expensive due to the time and cost taken to warehouse the wood
if your not jumping at the thought of finding/buying a kiln or leaving the wood for a long period of time by itself my recommendation is to try guitarmill.com as they aparrently have both seasoned and kiln dried wood in stock they can also make the body and neck for you if you want howerver they mostly do fender style designs

ok that makes a lot of sense. How long on average does would need to season??
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Wood will dry on its own. Its just faster in a kiln. Wood used for heating dries in one year.
daaaaaaaaaaaamnnnnn well, ... uh..daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnn.
Now I just gotta find a kiln!!
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
yeah i plan on traveling 3 minutes down the road to a lumber yard
ive got it real rough right?
Gear

98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112