This is what I'm wondering about.

He has an Ashdown FA60-something head with a matching cab. He told me that he was going to record something today, and I asked him how (as I know he has no decent mic). He told me that he has his cab hooked up to one of the outputs, and runs another output directly into his soundcard.

Doesn't this mess up ohms and stuff badly, potentially frying his head? I haven't heard anything he has recorded this way yet, but he tells me it sounds great. If this isn't dangerous at all, I want to try it with my amp...

Anyone who knows if this is dangerous, or how to be on the safe side and still do it?
i would think it'd be safe it if were a headphone output rather then the main out
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
Depends if the head has a dedicated Line-Out (Mixer-Out) or Pwr-Amp jack, I've seen a few heads that do that.

I don't have too much experience with amp-heads, but I have the feeling that Pwr-Amp is a signal for sending through a PA power amplifier which is probably the best way to send out to a recording box. Another way to do it is if he has a Mixer Out jack on his head and use that instead.

Something tell's me not to use the standard 'power-out' jacks that you use for your cabs to do it though :P .
The FA has an emulated line out for recording purposes but he still needs the cab to be connected otherwise there's nowhere for the power to go and amp goes *boom!*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ In that case sounds like what he's doing is ok. If he was plugging the speaker output into his soundcard he'd very quickly end up with no amp and no soundcard.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Messing up OHMs? XD.

Ohms are just the unit that resistance/impedance is measured in. Named after George Ohm. Never heard of Ohm's Law?

Oh well:

Here's a graph. >_<

He probably ment, that since the resistance of the soundcard is now known, the ohms probably wouldn't match, thus frying something.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
If he is going from the head speaker output into the soundcard, he'll fry his amp head because the power isnt going anywhere, but also probably make his computer explode. You cant just pump a couple watts into a computer
Quote by outerlimit501
If he is going from the head speaker output into the soundcard, he'll fry his amp head because the power isnt going anywhere, but also probably make his computer explode. You cant just pump a couple watts into a computer

You can, it's just not safe or practical.
That or, we link a load of heads up via inputs and speaker outs... Switch them all on and watch the fireworks.
wait wait...I think it's safe...I could obviously be very wrong, so please tell me if I am...

Head has 2 outputs... one is hooked up to the cab, which is perfectly safe as that's how you hook up a halfstack...
Then you have the other output going to the soundcard- the sound is going to the cab, thus making it safe, and some is also going to the computer...

That right? or completely wrong? haha.
...Man I want recording gear...
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yeah that would save the head by sending the power somewhere, but you would also be sending 50-150 watts into a computer. that would be very, very bad. Probably not a spectacular explosion, but the computer definitely would not work anymore.

EDIT: This is assuming that the head has no recording out. If it does, hook one cab up to one of the outputs, and hook the computer to the RECORDING/PA out, not the other SPEAKER out.