Page 1 of 2
So I will be purchasing equipment from www.musiciansfriend.com, and I was wondering...my dad will be putting it on his credit card...the monthly payments start right away or do I need a big downpayment first? And do I receive my instrument in a couple of weeks, or after it's paid off?
u get it right away and can make minimum payments forever if u want but should pay it off fast or 3k turns into 50k
If your dad is putting it on his credit card, then why don't you let him sort out the balance? I'm sure he's well aware of how credit cards work.

The guitar is yours as soon as the Submit Order button is hit, that's all you really need to worry about.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I know, but I have to pay for it. I have to give him the cash in return for an easier payment method, lol.
Well, he's your dad, I'm sure he'll give you fair repayment terms way below the average 18% purchase interest.

Might just give him the whole amount right away and impress your folks with budding financial responsibility.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, the guitar I would like kind of is...like...probably gonna cost between 700-900 bucks. I do not have that much on hand, but hey, that's what a job is for.

A good motto for life is

If you cant afford it, Don't buy it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
It's going to cost more if you buy it is small payments, it might go from costing $800 to costing $1000 because of interest.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
WELL then I will up the payments to 75 a month.

Save the cash then buy the guitar. Trust me.
Too lazy to come down to the steve's or L&M eh?

What guitar are you getting bud?

75 sounds good though
Quote by the_negro_puppy
Save the cash then buy the guitar. Trust me.

QFT

+(a very large number)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
If you're like me and can't wait to get your hands on your next guitar then you should go for it, but pay as high as [reasonably, you know, so you don't go broke instantly] possible to get the payments off quickly.

I already have money for my next guitar but I don't have money for an amp so I'm just gonna wait until I get the cash for the amp, either that or put some out of my savings.
MY GEAR
Bella
Ibanez Gio
Cube-20X
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Adz2706
the worst ive seen is a guy kick this other guy in the head repeatedly and had to be taken to hospital in a helicopter

Who the hell would build a Hospital inside of a Helicopter?
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Too lazy to come down to the steve's or L&M eh?

What guitar are you getting bud?

75 sounds good though

Hah, I went to L&M to pick a guitar but I could not find one there, and alot of the models I was going to order did not come left handed, suprisingly. So now I narrow it down to...Brian May Red Special, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, some form of Ibanez...not really narrowed, but still...
Meh, look around a bit more, also if you need to know about ibanezes ask pifty, he's the master
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX

Oh, and keep in mind, that if you buy from MF, then $999 will become CAD1070, because VISA will give you an unfavourable exchange rate, which will become CAD1200 on the border when GST and PST will get factored in, then you'd pay $70 shipping on top of it, and since it's FedEx, they'll charge about thirty bucks as a handling fee, and then slam you with a brokerage fee for clearing customs for you.

In the end, it'll be something in the area of CAD1450, and you'd probably be able to buy one in a store near you for that money.
Oh sweet God...I have a new idea. Buy the Peavey Valveking 112 (or another tupe amp for that range), keep the guitar I have now, and then swap the pups for good ones, instead of the stock ones.

NOW, good humbuckers for classic rock, metal (Sabbath, Maiden, etc) ???
Quote by kool98769
A good motto for life is

If you cant afford it, Don't buy it.

No.
A good motto is; It's not how much money you make, but how much you spend.

In other words, SAVE!!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Oh sweet God...I have a new idea. Buy the Peavey Valveking 112 (or another tupe amp for that range), keep the guitar I have now, and then swap the pups for good ones, instead of the stock ones.

NOW, good humbuckers for classic rock, metal (Sabbath, Maiden, etc) ???

Yeah the valveking sounds nice. But maybe you can sell/trade in both of the guitars you have now + add the money you have and get that RG prestige that you liked?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
That's true, but...I have a SpiderII Line 6 modelling amp...I think you might now agree that the Valveking sounds like a good idea. :P

yeah but line6s aren't that bad you know? go to my profile and listen to the tracks

"teh brootalz" and "roots of life-your essence" I kind of like the cleans I get from my strat copy through my digitech rp80 through the line6, but they could be 100 times better. But when I gig, I usually play something else(depends). its a good amp for bedroom practice. And if you are getting one that is more than 15 watts, that's a pretty bad idea, cause 15 is all you need in your bedroom
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well I do basement jams and stuff with my friends sometimes, plus, I find my Spider too digital sounding...

you find? IT IS!!!

is it a 15 watt one? If so, and if you do sell it to a store or something, tell me how much it goes for
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
It's a 30w one actually. I bought it second hand for 180 CDN, and I feel ripped off. :|

I got my 15 for free. My friend needed to get rid of it
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
WELL LA DEE DA. My friend tricked me, saying the amp was $450 in stores.

LOL, There was this guy in my school who wanted to get a line6, he OFFERED me 250 for my line6 spider III 15 watts. I was going to sell it to him, but then he said "I think I need a 100 watts, I can't hear myself play in my basement". I tried to convince him that 100 was way too much. But he's stubborn so I said "You know what? You're right, I'm a dumbass you obviously know better".

He hasn't gigged once in his life, plays in his basement, no jamming, just himself.
Well, you certainly showed that person, whoever he may be. LOL. Is the valveking my best bet then? I was looking to spend exactly what it costs on MF, and I have tried it before at a music store, and I liked it...
As others have said, you'll get lots of little fees on top of the $999 price from shipping/customs/etc. Long & Mcquade and Steve's Music can be haggled down to cheaper than Musiciansfriends+fees usually.

On top of that, Musiciansfriends' financing option is only available if you apply for their credit card. You can't finance it with your dad's credit card by having like $50 charged to his credit card each month.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Does their card cost anything to sign up for?

Not sure, but click on the "Finance Now" link right beside the $30/mo price for information. If you're still a teenager or have no credit, it might be hard to get approved for the card. Your dad probably will have no problem, but he might not want another credit card just for the purpose of helping you buy a guitar.

You're much much better off saving up to buy a guitar. Financing a purchase is almost never a good idea because you pay a lot more in the long run. Before you even think about buying the guitar, get the numbers down first. Figure out how much you can pay per month and figure out the financing to see how many monthly payments you'd have to make. Chances are they'll charge you at some ridiculous interest rate.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Hah, I went to L&M to pick a guitar but I could not find one there, and alot of the models I was going to order did not come left handed, suprisingly. So now I narrow it down to...Brian May Red Special, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, some form of Ibanez...not really narrowed, but still...

Being a lefty I am feeling your pain... I have been scouting guitars to purchase when my tax refund comes in. Not enough models are offered as left-handed for my liking. I hit several stores locally and they rarely have much to choose from and try out. Makes it tuff to know what is going to be a good fit for you.
Page 1 of 2