I'm a beginner and have bought/returned and tried out a few amps before settling on the MG 15DFX. I have never read so many reviews on the sites of people that liked it or completely thought it was crap. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and for the kind of music I like and want to play (Maiden, Priest, AC/DC, etc.), I'm really happy with it. At least for my ear, it sounds pretty good and close enough to keep me happy.

Hopefully at some point I'll be good enough to want something more expensive and better, but I really love this amp and think it's a great practice amp for a NWOBHM sound.
it's because you're new that you can't tell with the sound...no offense man, in a few months you'll be like omfg, what was i thinking.

but listening to an mg is like being aurally raped with a rusty fork, it's just that bad.
an MGs fine as a small practice amp.
just when it gets to loud band situations is when we start hating.

good for you TS
It saounds bad when you compare it to some equally priced but better amps, such as the Vox AD15VT or Roland Cube 30...

But its all fine and good when you dont end up with the 100 watt half stack..
Quote by beckyjc
It saounds bad when you compare it to some equally priced but better amps, such as the Vox AD15VT or Roland Cube 30...

+1
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Chad11491
it's because you're new that you can't tell with the sound...no offense man, in a few months you'll be like omfg, what was i thinking.

but listening to an mg is like being aurally raped with a rusty fork, it's just that bad.

you're actually an idiot.

MGs are not great amps. but they're perfectly adequate cheap practice amps. they have a clean channel which, whilst not life changingly good, is reasonable. it amplifies and doesn't sound terrible. if you're wanting crunch or distortion or overdrive or whatever, then obviously you ain't gonna get it with an MG. but if you want a fairly neutral clean tone for cheap, which can be altered with dirt boxes if you want those kinds of tones, then it does a perfectly acceptable job.

and no, i don't have one. i borrowed my brother's for a while though and found it to be a perfectly reasonable amp.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
you're actually an idiot.

MGs are not great amps. but they're perfectly adequate cheap practice amps. they have a clean channel which, whilst not life changingly good, is reasonable. it amplifies and doesn't sound terrible. if you're wanting crunch or distortion or overdrive or whatever, then obviously you ain't gonna get it with an MG. but if you want a fairly neutral clean tone for cheap, which can be altered with dirt boxes if you want those kinds of tones, then it does a perfectly acceptable job.

and no, i don't have one. i borrowed my brother's for a while though and found it to be a perfectly reasonable amp.

well when you actually get to know good tone, you realize it's bad, so yes, it is a sh*t amp, because you've just wasted about 200 that could be put towards a better amp, that isn't so bad, that would last you longer, thus saving a bit of money, i have played one, and i think it's a piece of crap, get off my case, if the TS likes it, that's awesome for him, i don't, so you sir, are an idiot as well. who wants an amp that you can't use the od channel because it's bad? i don't want to have to spend more money to get reasonable tone.
Quote by tim_mop
an MGs fine as a small practice amp.
just when it gets to loud band situations is when we start hating.

good for you TS

+1

Enjoy it! When it comes time to upgrade, though, play a lot of amps and make an educated choice. The MG's fine for a bedroom metalhead, but when it comes time to gig there's much better amps out there for the money.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
+1

Enjoy it! When it comes time to upgrade, though, play a lot of amps and make an educated choice. The MG's fine for a bedroom metalhead, but when it comes time to gig there's much better amps out there for the money.

Thanks. I'm almost 37 and starting to play. If I got in a band my wife would divorce me.
Yeah, that's a fine practice amp, but like Slats said try as many amps as possible when you plan on upgrading.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by Chad11491
well when you actually get to know good tone, you realize it's bad, so yes, it is a sh*t amp, because you've just wasted about 200 that could be put towards a better amp, that isn't so bad, that would last you longer, thus saving a bit of money, i have played one, and i think it's a piece of crap, get off my case, if the TS likes it, that's awesome for him, i don't, so you sir, are an idiot as well. who wants an amp that you can't use the od channel because it's bad? i don't want to have to spend more money to get reasonable tone.

i know good tone perfectly well thank you. i also recognise that what you're engaging in is hyperbole. your post depicts the sound of an MG as something which is painfully bad. this is just wrong. the bad thing about an MG is that it is bland. by definition, bland things don't sound bad. they just don't sound good either. if you don't expect it to give a life changingly good tone, then you won't be all that disappointed. it gives an adequate clean tone. if the sounds you produce with one are painful, then you need to learn either to eq your amp properly or to play guitar well.

your post was wrong. you claimed he liked it because he's new. this is not the case, at all. i am not new to playing guitar. i would still say that an MG gives an adequate tone. as should anyone with a functioning set of ears. it isnt a great amp, but the clean tone is perfectly adequate for practicing.

and personally, i would never rely on an amps distortion, because at so many gigs/practice rooms you'll end up using amps that aren't your own. its preferable to be able to achieve a good overdrive sound via effects.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.