Page 1 of 2
hey guys well my bass player in our band is new at with playing so he's not really good using his fingers so i thought he should use a pick. the only thing was which kind? do you guys use regular medium picks (.50 mm) or the XL picks when playing bass? any help would be great
i use .88mm dunlop tortex picks. I guess its just personal preference.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
I like to use 2 mil. And I refuse to use anything under 1.5 mil, or your tone goes to hell.

thats what i was thinking. i figured if he used .50 mm he would mess up a lot of the notes
When I play with a pick, I usually use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm. Sometimes I'll use a 2mm. Your standard Fender pick, even if its a heavy gauge, WILL get torn to shreds by bass strings.
I use the yellow tortex picks which are .73 I believe. I like my picks to have a little bit of give in them.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I do quite well with the green tortexes.

But I have been known to use a .27 before.[/QUOTE]

wow .27?
I like using 1.14 - 2 mm picks, any thinner and they bend out of shape.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
I use 3mm Dunlop Big Stubbys. They are shaped in such a way that they are less likey to slip than flat picks. The shape of the tip allows for greater variety in attack and tone, yet they're plenty thick enough to keep, whatever tone you use, consistant.
dunolp gel, the green ones(0.60 i think)
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Mmmm .27's

I usually use about .50 to 1mm. Maybe 1.2mm. Nothing higher.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I use a 2p coin occasionally, but that's a very specific tone that you probably don't want all the time. It's great for pickscraping, though. :p
In general, good thick picks are the way to go, but it's all personal preference.
I use the purple Tortex picks 1.14mm.

But I just want to comment on your original post. Picks shouldn't be a fall back because someone hasn't built the skill to do finger style. Both styles have their applicability, and using a pick should be done to get a specific sound, not as potential training wheel until you build skill. Your bassist needs to do some woodshedding on building both sets of skills, IMHO.
Quote by FbSa
I just want to comment on how nicely this threads going. It has yet to turn into a Pick Vs. Fingers threads. Good job guys, you all deserve a pat on the back.

Erm.. erm... OH GOD!

Fingers rule. lolz
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
When I use a pick (which isn't all that often), I like the 2mm dunlop big stubbies, but I'm starting to like 1.14mm tortexes quite a bit. There really isn't a set rule on pick sizes for bass, but I prefer picks that either don't give at all, or just give a little when you pick.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Man, I've been always changing picks, but every gig I've played I've used a 3mm Big Stubby. I've found them to actually wear out really quick, especially when compared to torex or gator grip dunlops, but I usually throw my pick into the crowd when I'm done with it. I guess I could have just looked for my pick on the floor after my set...

I started with 2.0 torex, then moved on to 2.0 triangle Big Stubbies (ugh), flirted with 2.0 gator grips, before caving in and using 3mm Big Stubbies.

I'd be curious to try a 3mm torex/gator grip if it existed, a 3mm triangle Big Stubby, and a 3mm nylon Big Stubby (I've never seen this in-store or online, but on the dunlop site last time I checked they were there).

Oh, and on guitar, I use regular gauge strings and a regular gauge pick (10-46 and .76mm). Quite boring.

And mandolins are perfect with 3mm Big Stubbies. 2mm torex/grips are fine too.

Anything less than 2mm gives a 'thh - thh - thh' tone, whereas 2mm+ gives a 'ta - ta - ta' with a much quicker attack.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah, I find that Big Stubbies wear quick too, which is a shame.
I use 'em for Guitar and Banjo too, when I'm not using finger picks.
I prefer the 2.0mm Big Stubby but I also use .7mm tortex and some .6mm grey dunlop with some rigid grip thing that I stole from my bands guitarist.
Quote by KingBollock
I use 3mm Dunlop Big Stubbys. They are shaped in such a way that they are less likey to slip than flat picks. The shape of the tip allows for greater variety in attack and tone, yet they're plenty thick enough to keep, whatever tone you use, consistant.

I find that picks that fat slip more!
I use The blue dunlops, I find big stubbies, cos thier like, solid, don't bend at all, so you can't tell when you're hit the strings, but big stubbies are alright, just not my favourite.

Oh, i also have the same problem with them as above, they can slide about between my fingers till they're upside down!
I use the purple tortex's i think its a 1.14mm pick, and i love them. I've tried the big stubbies as well (3mm) and it took some gettin used to.
IMHO go with the tortex's.
I use those "polished" Dunlop 500's, about 1.14 or something gauge. The gauge being fairly thin lets me keep a smooth picking action, but they're still pretty firm and the smooth finish means you don't get any unwanted scratchy pick noise, just a solid attack.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
dunlop big stubby 3.0
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
I use either a quarter or the blue tortex (1.0 mil)
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I use a 1.14mm Tortex, Ultex, Planet Waves or Peavey Picks alot, sometimes Fender Heavy Gauge. I'm using them alot more in my new band, I like the 1.14's, there's not much give at all and you retain your punch and attack.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I was using .88 Dunlop Tortex picks for a long time but I wore them out really fast. I've been using 1mm picks and I like having more attack from a thicker pick. I find picks that are thicker than that slow me down and make me more fatigued. I play fast and hard so I need something that doesn't hold me back.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I do quite well with the green tortexes.

But I have been known to use a .27 before.

the green ones are my favorite, also. i buy 5 or 6 of those, and a box of Fender Mediums. usually lasts me all year.
Quote by KingBollock

I use these as well, I really like them and, needless to say, there's no give in them.
i play ernie ball heavy....i got a pack of 24 for $6
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Page 1 of 2