i got some money to spend on guitar gear and stuff... i'm planning to get a valveking 112 and a pedal... but now my question is... will an overdrive pedal (like the maxon od808) give me enough distortion combined with the vk? or should i buy a distortion pedal and run it through the clean channel?

i mostly play metal and metalcore
get a krank dist for metal and metalcore...or boss metal zone
My Stuff:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson straps
Dunlop straplok
Planet wave cables
Zoom multi effects
Quote by acdcrocks0323
A good overdrive will be fine. You might also want to invest in an EQ pedal to shape your sound even more, but without one you should be fine.

ehh.. have you tried this setting or something? its just that i really want to be sure about what to buy since im gonna fly to the us and buy it there... no single store here has VK's...
Quote by Scum-bag Carrol
get a krank dist for metal and metalcore...or boss metal zone

No.

As for knowing if an OD will be fine, I have played one at the store extensively becuase I was about to buy it. It has plenty of gain for metal and modern rock, but maybe not enough for Metalcore or Death Metal or whatever it is called these days. Im pretty certain than an overdrive would be all you need and would sound better than a low end metal pedal IMO.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
No.

As for knowing if an OD will be fine, I have played one at the store extensively becuase I was about to buy it. It has plenty of gain for metal and modern rock, but maybe not enough for Metalcore or Death Metal or whatever it is called these days. Im pretty certain than an overdrive would be all you need and would sound better than a low end metal pedal IMO.

ok thanks... its just metalcore xD im not playing any death metal xD
What I do is run an ibanez tube screamer (with the knobs dialed back a good bit) in front of my peavey XXX. Combined with a noise supressor i get a real tight slightly saturated tone. Pretty similar to decapitateds tone actually. But ya dude never been a fan of distortion pedals through the clean channel, I guess I never could find the right tone. But I'd say the maxon OD808 would sound excellent in front of the valve king.
I'm a riddle so strong you can't break me...
Quote by jheath513
What I do is run an ibanez tube screamer (with the knobs dialed back a good bit) in front of my peavey XXX. Combined with a noise supressor i get a real tight slightly saturated tone. Pretty similar to decapitateds tone actually. But ya dude never been a fan of distortion pedals through the clean channel, I guess I never could find the right tone. But I'd say the maxon OD808 would sound excellent in front of the valve king.

yeah but a XXX is not the same as a valve king...