When i sometimes play xboxlive and have the internet on or even just plug in my computer to router it sometimes slows down the signal to the xbox without downloading anything. Why is this and how do i fix it without having to pull out the cable?
well, the computer is obviously downloading something you don't know about.

Virus scan?
if the computer is on and pluged in your probably running something like msn or someone is surfing the net causing you xbox live to slowdown
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
If you are using an internet hub your bandwidth is shared between your PC and xbox, meaning you get less bandwidth on your xbox even if your pc is not actively using the net.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Try running netstat from the command line to see if anything is using your connection without your knowledge.
Quote by HeliuM
If you are using an internet hub your bandwidth is shared between your PC and xbox, meaning you get less bandwidth on your xbox even if your pc is not actively using the net.

+1.

Especially considering how many PCs you may have running in your home. The more your internet connection is split, the slower it is....it's worse with DSL than Cable though.
Quote by JewMasatFlex
The more your internet connection is split, the slower it is....

There shouldn't be a problem if the other computers are not using any bandwidth. The connection doesn't automatically get split 50/50, or 33/33/33. If the XBox is the only system on the network using the connection, it will get to use 100% of the bandwidth available.