I've been playing bass for about 5 months and I've become really good at playing finger-style, but I'd like to learn how to use a pick as a second skill. The only reason I've considered it is so that I can "cut-through" my band easier and sometimes, when used correctly, a pick can sound prettty good. The picks I'm using are here. I'm using the Medium version but also have some Heavy ones, but I prefer the Mediums. I really have no issue of playing with a pick while sitting down but I have trouble doing it standing up, especially on the thicker strings. What's some advice about using a pick? For example, how do I hold it, where(on a Jazz bass) do I strike the string and at what angle. Your advice would be much apreciated!
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
you play the pick in wherever place sounds best for you
near the bridge there is more atack and treble
near the neck the sound is more punchy
also most bassist use heavy picks
i prefer ultra light picks beacuse i like that sounds
and soume bassist that use pick play only donwstrokes so the sound is more repetitive but the correct way to use a pick i the way you like and feel comfortable with
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
you play the pick in wherever place sounds best for you
near the bridge there is more atack and treble
near the neck the sound is more punchy
also most bassist use heavy picks
i prefer ultra light picks beacuse i like that sounds
and soume bassist that use pick play only donwstrokes so the sound is more repetitive but the correct way to use a pick i the way you like and feel comfortable with
Thanks for the advice! Does anybody else have advice?
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Remember to alternate pick when you can as it will be easier and improve your playing the long run. For alternate picking you want the pick on an angle slightly towards you rather than vertical so it's easier to go up and down on the string.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Remember to alternate pick when you can as it will be easier and improve your playing the long run. For alternate picking you want the pick on an angle slightly towards you rather than vertical so it's easier to go up and down on the string.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Squier VM TB Bass
Well, i whould say it's harder to play with your hand nearer the bridge to begin with, 'cos you have to use more force. but it's also more accurate, cos the strings aren't moving around as much closer to the bridge, making them easier to strike with the pick.
First of all, I think playing bass with picks that have a lot of give yields horrible results. I think the strings are too thick to have pick-give yield desirable results. It results in slow reaction time and your strings "sticking" to the pick, which kinda sounds like the problems you're having with picks while standing. First of all, I'd recommend either 2mm torex/gator grip Dunlops, or 2/3mm Big Stubbies. No give, no problem.

Also, the closest sound to piano tone I ever got was with a thick pick, played favouring the neck pickup, played between the neck pickup and neck joint. Playing at the bridge is really cutty and buzz-saw-like, but it lacks a lot of thickness. When you play near the neck, it sounds quite hammer like and more pleasing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
First of all, I think playing bass with picks that have a lot of give yields horrible results. I think the strings are too thick to have pick-give yield desirable results. It results in slow reaction time and your strings "sticking" to the pick, which kinda sounds like the problems you're having with picks while standing. First of all, I'd recommend either 2mm torex/gator grip Dunlops, or 2/3mm Big Stubbies. No give, no problem.

I remember when I first picked up the bass, I tried to play with some paltry .50mm pick. It bent so much that it eventually folded, cracked, and cut my finger.
Picks with a lot of give eh?

Ive started using a pick recently to play fast metal basslines, as i find it more punchier on each individual note rather than if i finger it, which for me is a lot quieter as well. When i use the pick i have to hold it at completely perpindicular to the string as otherwise it is really hard to pluck at speed due to my arm being at an akward angle and it scratches the string giving a rasping noise; would a thicker pick be easier to use in this situation?
i use fender Mediums and i pretty much always play with a pick (yes, i can play with fingers just as well. my bass has 2 humbukers, and i pretty pick the string right above the the first humbucker. i like the tone by striking it there. i get a really awesome tone.
Quote by thefitz

Also, the closest sound to piano tone I ever got was with a thick pick, played favouring the neck pickup, played between the neck pickup and neck joint. Playing at the bridge is really cutty and buzz-saw-like, but it lacks a lot of thickness. When you play near the neck, it sounds quite hammer like and more pleasing.
Thanks for the tip dude! I tried using my Fender Heavy picks at the place that gives a piano tone and it sounds so beautiful!
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Thanks for the tip dude! I tried using my Fender Heavy picks at the place that gives a piano tone and it sounds so beautiful!

Keep goin' man! Fender doesn't make a pick thick enough! Try 2mm or 3mm Dunlops and see how you like them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Keep goin' man! Fender doesn't make a pick thick enough! Try 2mm or 3mm Dunlops and see how you like them.

he should also try thin pick
maybe is just me but fat picks stuck in strings and have a too fat tone
thin pick are a bit harder to control but the sound is just awesome
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
he should also try thin pick
maybe is just me but fat picks stuck in strings and have a too fat tone
thin pick are a bit harder to control but the sound is just awesome

See, that's the thing - I find thin picks to be way too "ticky". Like teeth chattering, or snapping a toothpick.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I use these orange Brain Picks. I believe the company name is Snarling Dogs. Anyways, I'm much faster and more consistent using a pick than I am on fingerstyle. If you're playing any modern metal that has a good amount of speed on it, I would suggest finding a good pick. I find it easiest to hold your bass as perpendicular as possible to your body, that way your pick goes through the strings straight on. If you have too much angle on your picking, the results sound sloppy. You'll notice a lot of Punk bands hold their bass this way for that exact reason.
I use 1.14 mm dunlop tortex's and i love them cuz they dont get so slick that I lose grip on them and drop them. I've tried other thinner ones and they didnt do the trick for me.
This is an informative thread for me, I just started using a pick and I love the tone and cut. I have been using .60mm Dunlops. If I didn't have good grip, I'd lose a lot of picks. Thanks all.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert