Well I have been thinking about this for quite some time now, and I've realised that great guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, Dimebag Darrell, Jimmy Page, John Frusciante, Stevie Ray Vaughan and such never really set out to be the 'best' in their field, they just ended up being recognized as some of the greatest guitarists of all time.

While at the same time guys like Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio and others already had their mind set on being THE BEST so to speak, and now they are recognised as some of the greatest guitarists of all time.

What I was wondering was weather that drive to be the best helps to achieving that goal or just the love of playing the music in your heart.

What'd you think Pit?
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
If you're playing only to be better than everyone else, you're doing it wrong.

Play because of your love for music.
It's probably both but i think that every guitarist listed wanted to play to the bet of their ability, and it turns out that their was IS the best so...
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
totally off topic but i always wondered who produced the greatest guitarist, the east or west?
The way I see it is that players who play for the love of music and from their heart like Jimi Hendrix, SRV, John Frusciante etc, will always be better than those who play to be the best. Theres something that comes from inside that gets expressed in their playing that makes it so much better than those who play fast or really technically. I always think that those who play from the heart will always be better than those who play for a title. That's my two cents...
Quote by guitarkid2113
The way I see it is that players who play for the love of music and from their heart like Jimi Hendrix, SRV, John Frusciante etc, will always be better than those who play to be the best. Theres something that comes from inside that gets expressed in their playing that makes it so much better than those who play fast or really technically. I always think that those who play from the heart will always be better than those who play for a title. That's my two cents...

agreed
Those guitarists were just the lucky ones. There are PLENTY of better and more talented bedroom guitarists out there, but just haven't gotten famous like that.
But I'm not saying those guitarists weren't great.
Quote by guitarkid2113

Right on, that's basically what I was going to say.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by swordsrkewl
It's probably both but i think that every guitarist listed wanted to play to the bet of their ability, and it turns out that their was IS the best so...

Quote by maca-venagas
yea, play with your heart dude, and love of the instrument. play to be the best YOU can. not to be better than someone else.

Yeah I guess you guys are right. There has to be a drive to do the best you can and just personal achievement, but after that comes music from the heart and all the techniques are just tools to achieve that lick that's been playing in your mind. But I can still get why guys like Vai and Batio STILL practise more than any of us ever will. Both worlds are right in their own ways I guess.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
I don't like to hear too technical of guitar playing...

So, people who haven't set out to be the best are better.
In my opinion..
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Bair
totally off topic but i always wondered who produced the greatest guitarist, the east or west?

Would I be right in saying America, because they produced Fender and Gibson, and had a big Rhythm and Blues scene?
Woah, woah, woah. Hold up. Who said EVH, Vai, and Batio are trying to be the best?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
if you set out to be the best i suppose you would get good technically, but you would probably not enjoy it so much than if you actually played how you felt.

i think a lot of guitarists starting out want to get to a stage where they can impress everybody -- that's how i started -- but with the right circumstances and experiences, some players grow out of that phase and play what they like. i'm quite sure i got past that and i am less concerned with what people think about my playing. if they don't like it, its not my problem - tastes differ - if they do like it, then you know that, at the very least, you do not suck.

i think the main reason that the guitarists you mentioned are so revered is that they were the ones to break the barriers and give music many new avenues to pursue. they built the roads; we just live in the houses by the side.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by Bair

Texas has Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, and Dimebag so texas itself seems to be pretty good with this sorta thing. The East has Steve Vai, BB King, John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Satriani etc. American has quite alot of the so called virtuosos, and some great blues guitarist.
Quote by spider666
Well I have been thinking about this for quite some time now, and I've realised that great guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, Dimebag Darrell, Jimmy Page, John Frusciante, Stevie Ray Vaughan and such never really set out to be the 'best' in their field, they just ended up being recognized as some of the greatest guitarists of all time.

While at the same time guys like Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio and others already had their mind set on being THE BEST so to speak, and now they are recognised as some of the greatest guitarists of all time.

What I was wondering was weather that drive to be the best helps to achieving that goal or just the love of playing the music in your heart.

What'd you think Pit?

sorry to quote the whole post, but my heads not working right today.

it seems to me that the first ones who do it because they love their music are bluesy rock guitarists, while the ones who wanted to be the best are shreaders.

dont get me wrong im not saying that halen and vai dont love their music, or SRV couldnt shread, but yeah.

and i totally agree with the person who made the point about bedroom guitarists.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Texas has Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, and Dimebag. The East has Steve Vai, BB King, John Petrucci, Zakk Wylde, Satriani etc.

i meant like East= Britian, UK sorta stuff and West= US, Canada, Mexico, south america
Quote by SupremeACL
Woah, woah, woah. Hold up. Who said EVH, Vai, and Batio are trying to be the best?

Of course Batio's trying to be the best. Who else would play with two ****ing guitars if they weren't? He only does that to try and impress people it's not because it takes two guitars for him to be considered good... By some.
It's all about writing good songs and getting them published. Sure, there are plenty of YouTube Azns who can shred, but can they compose original material that will appeal to a large number of listeners?

After all, that's what musical success is: appealing to a wide audience. If your band has 3 fans, you're not succesful.
Quote by sashki
It's all about writing good songs and getting them published. Sure, there are plenty of YouTube Azns who can shred, but can they compose original material that will appeal to a large number of listeners?

After all, that's what musical success is: appealing to a wide audience. If your band has 3 fans, you're not succesful.

But you don't have to be successful to be considered the best guitarist.
I think making music should be fun and once the fun is taken away then you'll only make yourself mad.
Quote by chillrock
if you set out to be the best i suppose you would get good technically, but you would probably not enjoy it so much than if you actually played how you felt.

i think a lot of guitarists starting out want to get to a stage where they can impress everybody -- that's how i started -- but with the right circumstances and experiences, some players grow out of that phase and play what they like. i'm quite sure i got past that and i am less concerned with what people think about my playing. if they don't like it, its not my problem - tastes differ - if they do like it, then you know that, at the very least, you do not suck.

i think the main reason that the guitarists you mentioned are so revered is that they were the ones to break the barriers and give music many new avenues to pursue. they built the roads; we just live in the houses by the side.

Dude I totally agree with you, when your still learning, it's all about playing fast and all that stuff, but after a while, you just sit back and actually start enjoying what your playing. And I'm not saying that these players who want to be the best don't have emotion in their playing, look at Vai when he solos and then tell me he doesn't have any emotions, so let's not wander away from the topic here.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Last edited by spider666 at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by Broken_Drum
But you don't have to be successful to be considered the best guitarist.

well u kinda do.....

if ur not succesful, people wont know who you are.

you need to be known be a large audience, to be judged by a large audience.
I personally think the people who dont play all fast and flashy are more exciting to listen to. I would rather listen to David Gilmour Or Hendrix do an improvised solo than Kirk Hammett and Batio.
Quote by Rooster666
I personally think the people who dont play all fast and flashy are more exciting to listen to. I would rather listen to David Gilmour Or Hendrix do an improvised solo than Kirk Hammett and Batio.

In the end it's all about using speed creatively.

Don't be biased against it. When used properly, fast licks can be the most amazing thing in the world.

For reference: Another Day by Dream Theater.

My perfect solo would have a balance between melodic and shreddy lines, using, but not OVERusing several techniques. It seems that a lot of guitarists only sweep. That's all they ever do. Quite sad, really.
Quote by sashki

if by "Azns" you mean asians, then JerryC. he composed canon rock, and it appeals to a whole lot of people.
Quote by Sound Mind
if by "Azns" you mean asians, then JerryC. he composed canon rock, and it appeals to a whole lot of people.

JerryC is great. I just couldn't help but notice that almost all the best YouTube guitarists are either azn or brazillian.
Quote by Mutant Corn
*picture of Slash wannabe*

Is is just me or does Yngwie look like an ugly Yeti??
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Last edited by spider666 at Jan 27, 2008,