31 58%
i hate it no matter what
3 6%
its only good with fingers and certain settings
10 19%
only good with a pick and certain settings
9 17%
Voters: 53.
so there was always something that i jsut didnt like about my schools 72' precision bass
and i figured out how to get it jsut right for me....

How many people like the tone how many dont...and with what conditions....

like me i just really dont like it with fingers... turn the highs up a little and use a pick i think it has the perfect punk sound

what about you guys

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Last edited by Narcotics at Jan 27, 2008,
'72 precision ass?
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Flatwounds and an Ashdown amp, and you have the best sound ever. Not just with basses, the best sound it's possible to create in the universe.
I read the ts's post, then read it again, then read it a third time, and it still doesn't make any sense.

What?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Clarification please--

Are you asking whether we like or dislike Pbasses?

Are you saying that there are certain times they sound good and asking whether we agree or disagree?

Are you saying that every bass player in the 60s and 70s that played a Pbass with their fingers (i.e. James Jamerson, Duck Dunn..etc etc) was a tone deaf idiot who didn't know a good bass tone from a hole in the wall?

I agree with Nutter, I'm scratching my head here...
I think Narc is trying to ask the ways to play that we find the P-bass performs well in. If that is the case then your poll is just offencive. There is no it's ONLY good when this happens, it just depends what the situation calls for. Personally one of the best tones ever is P bass with flats played with some kind of thinnish pick, ala Average White Band. There's just something about that that just grooves. But really, I don't think you can dislike the tone of a P-bass. I just don't think it's possible. Feel? Go ahead, hate it. Versatility, or lack thereof? Go ahead, hate it. But the tone fits well in all situations and is really just there. If you like any bass tone you like the p-bass tone. All other basses sound like a variation on the P-bass, because that's really what they are I guess.
uhhh.. I like when the tone sounds awesome.

I don't understand what the hell you are asking. All I know is I "like that tone."
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
I <3 my Precision, it is still my favourite bass I have ever played and will probably stay that way (unless it kills my wife or something), one thing I do know is that this bass will not leave my possession until I am dead and buried, hell, maybe even longer!

The only thing that I think about from time to time is the lack of bite, sometimes I just want that little extra bite in my sound that can only be achieved with a bridge pickup. This is by no means a complaint though, it's a fantastic bass, bridge pickup or no.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Well, that unmistakeable Precision tone has so, so many different flavours. Like many basses, the type of string really impacts the sound of the bass. On the Precision, this seems to be even moreso. Have you ever heard a Precision bass with brand-new Rotosounds before? Some of the best fingerstyle tone-age ever. Pickstyle, like a piano. With flatwounds, it's a whole new world. 100% thump. Jazz basses still have these traits, but I think the J-bass tone is more prevalant than the string tone (i.e. bridge pickup solo'd sounds like a bridge pickup solo'd, no matter what string you use). On the P-Bass, it's the strings you hear first. That 'un mistakeable precision tone' probably comes from nickel/NPS strings.

And let's not forget the '51-'56 Precision Basses. That single coil pickup is a brighter, clearer version of the split-coil pickup that's now standard (I don't care what you say - when you start using multiple coils that aren't dummy, you start to lose clarity - split P-Bass, Jazzes with both pickups, humbuckers...). The string changing has the same traits as on the split-coil Precision, but with a greater effect.

And I didn't even mention the tone knob - but to be fair, it's pretty much the same across the board.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Pbass>Ampeg SVT CL>810 (Preferably Bergantino NV610, but yeah)

THE rock tone, in my eyes (ears).

I really want a P-Bass, but I need a great modern bass (Spector or Warwick) and a Jazz first.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by indie-bassist
I <3 my Precision, it is still my favourite bass I have ever played and will probably stay that way (unless it kills my wife or something), one thing I do know is that this bass will not leave my possession until I am dead and buried, hell, maybe even longer!

The only thing that I think about from time to time is the lack of bite, sometimes I just want that little extra bite in my sound that can only be achieved with a bridge pickup. This is by no means a complaint though, it's a fantastic bass, bridge pickup or no.

I agree, there have been times I've been playing and wanted a bridge pickup but I love the overall P sound.
The P-bass with a QP gives a great pickstyle tone. I played a Mark Hoppus bass (Hate the bass player,band,bass color). Felt great and sounded great with a nice thick pick. I have a Yamaha P/J in my sights to buy and tune lower. Get some EMGs in it and perfect. Same goes for my Jazz. The QPs are good but jusy not crisp enough.

Also in my opinion when you have a P/J bass and put both pickups on that is the fingerstyle tone. Just ask Frank Bello from Anthrax.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
All your poll options are wrong.
I love it no matter what
Of course not - it sounds **** through a Behringer for example, and it wouldn't be my first choice for slap.
i hate it no matter what
Obviously not - if you hate the sound of the P bass then try throwing out all your records with one on...you'll soon miss that sound!
its only good with fingers and certain settings
Hell no - some of my favourite songs are with a P and a pick. That's not to say they aren't great with fingers
only good with a pick and certain settings
Obviously not since so many great bass sounds came from plucked Ps.

So what am I supposed to vote for?
Im with smb

In fact I agree with everything smb just said

I do like P-basses, but they don't sound right for everything,and if I had to choose a single bass design,it'd be Jazz bass 10 times out of 10, but that's personal preference, in particular with necks and slap tone and versatilty maybe....Im a jazz bass fiend, who doesnt actually own a fender jazz

sadly I'll probabaly never get to play around with a P-bass because I just cannot deal with their necks, I dont know, no P-bass I've played has had a comfortable neck for me, it saddens me a lot, my first ever bass was a sh*tty P-bass copy,almost put me off for life becuase of the neck....closest I'll own is probabaly the Mustang I'm getting next month....yes a Mustang,flame away
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Last edited by skippy_moogoose at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by Nutter_101
I read the ts's post, then read it again, then read it a third time, and it still doesn't make any sense.

What?

least im not the only one. and with the tone why didnt you say its only good wihth the certain settings finger AND pick/ pick AND finger.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I love the Precision tone. Those pickups make the best tone in my opinion. I have an Aerodyne Jazz which has a P/J combo, and whilst using a pick I always have the J's volume down all the way. It has such an incredible rock sound. But if I ever need to get sexy, I ditch the pick, roll the J volume back up (with the P still up all the way), and roll down the tone to halfway or so.
rotosound jazz bass 77 flatwound strings

that is what makes the perfect p bass tone
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.