ok so a few days ago there was a thread and sum1 mentioned boiling and baking ur old strings to make them sound new again... but i cant find it so if any1 could elaborate on this technique it would be great :]
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
DON'T BOIL YOUR STRINGS!!!!! ugh.. this is a horrible thing to do. use denatured alcohol. if you boil them they will be good-sounding for a few hours or a day at the most, then be even MORE dead sounding than before you boiled them. say no no no no to boiling strings. water oxidizes (rusts) nickel. it's simple redox chemistry.
Gear:

Basses:
2008 American Standard Fender Jazz
Ibanez SRX300
Amp(s):
Ashdown MAG 300 C410T + 1x15
Effects:
SansAmp 3-Channel Bass Driver D.I.
Last edited by -zj* at Jan 27, 2008,
What about Stainless Steel strings?

I have no interest in boiling my strings, I'd much rather buy new ones, worth the sound quality. I just thought some people would like to know.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by -zj*
DON'T BOIL YOUR STRINGS!!!!! ugh.. this is a horrible thing to do. use denatured alcohol. if you boil them they will be good-sounding for a few hours or a day at the most, then be even MORE dead sounding than before you boiled them. say no no no no to boiling strings. water oxidizes (rusts) nickel. it's simple redox chemistry.

Actually, water and air rusts metal, not just water. Boiling strings is safe, it's just not going to do much. Denatured alcohol is your best bet.
Quote by jimRH7
Yeah, I just read the FAQ. Can you re-use the meths?

Hell yeah you can. You just gotta make sure it doesn't evaporate.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
sounds like a plan. I won't need to for a while though, I bought these warwik red stings for like £8, about two months ago, and they still sound brand new, I'm impressed, but i kind of like the sound of older strings...
What about cleaning the neck and the fretboard? Mine tends to get pretty grungy from palm sweat and I usually just use a damp cloth to clean it off. I know they have instrument cleaner but I have none around me at this moment. Will alcohol work for that too or will it be bad for it?
Quote by moffshiggits
What about cleaning the neck and the fretboard? Mine tends to get pretty grungy from palm sweat and I usually just use a damp cloth to clean it off. I know they have instrument cleaner but I have none around me at this moment. Will alcohol work for that too or will it be bad for it?

Please read the FAQ--alcohol is an extremely bad idea here. Get yourself a good lint free cleaning cloth and stick it in your case and use it religiously. And depending on the type of wood and finish of your bass, Delerium has some great info in the FAQ under maintenance on what you should use to clean and polish your bass.

And wash your hands before you play--it will extend the life of your bass and your strings.