I want to customize my (US 11-hole lefty) black strat with a shiny new pickguard, I'm thinking either Red Perloid or Tortoise shell (Recommendation, anyone?). However, everything I've looked at is made of white vinyl, and I'm thinking that having a white edge against the black guitar is going to look pretty messed up. Is there anywhere you can get them with a black bevel? The other problem is, of course, finding it with the lefty design.

Any help?

Also, before I get into this, how hard is it to replace the guard and the pickup covers? (I'm going to need to get some black ones, since they're currently white) I might decide not to go through with this if I run the risk of harming my guitar.
Aperture Science: For the good of all of us, except the ones who are dead.
[quote="'[RedStorm"]']I want to customize my (US 11-hole lefty) black strat with a shiny new pickguard, I'm thinking either Red Perloid or Tortoise shell (Recommendation, anyone?). However, everything I've looked at is made of white vinyl, and I'm thinking that having a white edge against the black guitar is going to look pretty messed up. Is there anywhere you can get them with a black bevel? The other problem is, of course, finding it with the lefty design.

Any help?

Also, before I get into this, how hard is it to replace the guard and the pickup covers? (I'm going to need to get some black ones, since they're currently white) I might decide not to go through with this if I run the risk of harming my guitar.
It is always prudent to buy the PG from the guitar manufacturer itself; for example, if it's a Fender, go with the Fender PG. The reason is obvious, you want the holes to line up perfectly so you don't have to re-drill and patch the old holes.

A lot of the after-market ones don't line up perfectly; for some, this is a non-issue but for others, it's a big deal.

Replacing the PG is pretty straightforward and has 2 main requirements: opposable thumbs (monkeys and higher qualify) and a Phillips or regular screwdriver.

1. Remove the 11 screws that you already know hold the PG in place.
2. Remove the screws holding the PUs in place. Make sure the little screws or rubber PU thingies don't fly off or get dropped.
3. Re-install the PUs to the new PG.
4. Install the PG with the re-installed PUs.

I personally like white on black bodies, but it's up to you. Sounds like it'll be cool when its done, please post some pictures!
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Ippon
It is always prudent to buy the PG from the guitar manufacturer itself; for example, if it's a Fender, go with the Fender PG. The reason is obvious, you want the holes to line up perfectly so you don't have to re-drill and patch the old holes.

A lot of the after-market ones don't line up perfectly; for some, this is a non-issue but for others, it's a big deal.

Replacing the PG is pretty straightforward and has 2 main requirements: opposable thumbs (monkeys and higher qualify) and a Phillips or regular screwdriver.

1. Remove the 11 screws that you already know hold the PG in place.
2. Remove the screws holding the PUs in place. Make sure the little screws or rubber PU thingies don't fly off or get dropped.
3. Re-install the PUs to the new PG.
4. Install the PG with the re-installed PUs.

Just be careful, after re-screwing in the pickups, you have to remember to readjust them so that equal volume is maintained through all of them. The volume of the pickups changes when they are further/closer to the strings, so you may have to do some experimenting to make sure that there is no change in volume across all 3 pickups.
Hmmm... I'm not sure about readjusting the pickups... is it easy to do, or will I spend minutes upon minutes wishing I had just left my guitar alone?
It's easy enough. The Fender manual gives measurements on how high to set each pickup. If you follow those measurements then it'll take 10 minutes, max even if you have no clue what you are doing.

Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
^ Agreed!
[quote="'[RedStorm"]']Hmmm... I'm not sure about readjusting the pickups... is it easy to do, or will I spend minutes upon minutes wishing I had just left my guitar alone?Since you play guitar, it's safe to assume you have opposable thumbs ... it will be easy.

Its super easy, you just tighten the screw to bring it closer (louder I believe) and loosen to bring it farther (softer I believe). It should take you like 2-5 min max, the idea is just to make sure that when you switch pickups it all of a sudden doesn't sound louder or really soft.
Okay, seems simple enough. Now, off to Guitar Center...