I've wned a few high gain tube amps such as a Marshall DSL 100, a Mesa Dual and Single Rectifier, Randall V2, and some others. I played all these heads through a Behringer 4X12 400W Ultracab and I've gotten some pretty face ripping high gain tones off of it (and this is without any pedals. My philosophy is if I'm paying for a quality tube amp I shouldn't have to use distortion pedals.) Now I'm always hearing how Celestion V30 speakers are supposedly the best, and I know a lot of professional metal musicians use them, but I've played through Marshall and Mesa cabinets with the same amp heads and I'm lucky to get a classic rock distortion out of them. The V30s have nowhere near the low end my Behringer does, and seem to cut the gain from these high gain amps. They're the clearest sounding speakers I've ever heard, but why can't they handle high gain?
I prefer Eminence Legend's myself.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Nothing is ever "the best" for everyone, for everything, all the way around. It's all subjective for who is listening and what style, etc.

Some say V30 is the best. Some tone snobs say nothing but an alnico blue will do. Some love the g12h30, and some love the m/b C90 (celestion as well). Some love a combo of them both.

Is the avatar 2x12 with a g12h30 and a v30 any "better" or worse than my friend's genz benz with v30s, or his bogner with v30, or my other friend's d13 with custom alnico blues? No. they're all good for what they do and how their owners like them - even if it's the same style in the same playing situations.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
I like Eminence Shadows but its all personal prefferance, i think V30's are too trebly, and im a metal head. At the end it comes down to what you like, some people will prefer there line 6 spider over a tube amp, its all personal prefferance when it comes to your tone. Thats why its called YOUR TONE
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
v30s can be called the coca-cola of speakers. tons of people like and know 'em, they're popular, but there's different stuff out there that people like.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Remember that the construction of the cab really affect the tone as well. I've heard V30s sounding harsh and fizzy, as well as huge and fat, depending on the cab they're in.

I'm normally a Greenback fan, but I've found that in the right cab, V30s can sound great.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I prefer Eminence Legend's myself.

+1 pretty much anything eminence i like.
I find it odd that Vintage 30s can't handle high gain in your experience though, they are a very aggressive speaker perfect for it in my opinion.

I think I prefer G12H-30s though.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
V30 are great but personally i prefer Alnico Blues!!! I'd love a set of them so much but they're expensive as hell!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I dunno. I've demo'ed a lot of amps through only V30s. Then, I played a Framus Cobra through some Greenbacks. Boy, did THAT sound good.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

I'm going to be straight up, I don't like V30s. So calling them the best speaker ever is not right (I'm not the only one who doesn't like 'em). They have a pretty thin sound, the mids are very muddy and the treble is way too harsh IMO (my R30 used to have a V30).

If you want bottom end and good high gain speakers, maybe Celestion G12-75Ts?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I have G12t-75s in my cab, and I think they really sound amazing. When I am playin metal with my amp cranked I can really feel the bottom end thumping in my chest.
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
It's all personal preference. I say the G12M are the best speakers, but it depends on the sound you want. Some have good low end, but lack high end and vice versa. Each one will sound different. For my style the G12M are the ones that sound the best to me.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah