If I have a 4 ohm amp head and I want to hook it up to an 8 ohm cab can I use an active DI Box to match the impedance?

The DI box would have to take speaker level input like the Behringer Ultra G.
no, it won't work. because the di box takes a mono input whereas the head has a stereo line. and the impedance is only different between the quarter inch input and the xlr out. the quarter inch out is the same as the input
Ok I have another question then:

There is a Marshall 2x12 cab that runs 4 ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo, so this will work on my amp if I use mono.

But does mono mean that only 1 speaker will work?
Quote by viper_mike
no, it won't work. because the di box takes a mono input whereas the head has a stereo line. and the impedance is only different between the quarter inch input and the xlr out. the quarter inch out is the same as the input

using a crossover and a half xlr half hi-z cable would fix this problem.

if anything, use your amp's line out and send it into an 8 ohm power amplifier

EDIT: preamp line out
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Last edited by SeanHart213 at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by ixelion

There is a Marshall 2x12 cab that runs 4 ohms mono and 8 ohms stereo, so this will work on my amp if I use mono.

thats probly your best resort, all speakers will drive at once i'm pretty sure, and it will be louder. however, stereo effects won't work (chorus, delay, flanger) unless they are added to your signal chain from guitar---amp and not in the amp's effects loop.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666
Thanks for the info SeanHart213, I don't care if it's not stereo, as long as both speakers are working

Having to buy a power amp and an ext cab would be too pricey I would rather spend as little as possible.

Also will the Traynor YCX212 work well with Fender Champ 600? they are both rated 4 ohms.
Quote by ixelion
Having to buy a power amp and an ext cab would be too pricey I would rather spend as little as possible. I still wondering about how 2x12 mono operation works.

Also will the Traynor YCX212 work well with Fender Champ 600? they are both rated 4 ohms.

you could use your 8 ohm 4x12 if you have an 8 ohm power amp (priced at around $100 for a descent one like mosvalve or rocktron) and no external cabs would need to be purchased

the 2x12 mono operation is the way to go since you won't need to spend anything. the amp head has 2 speaker outputs, and mono just bridges the signal so that both are parellel, taking away the benfits of stereo dynamics/panning/direction but in turn its matching your impedance and adding quite a bit of volume.

Fender champion doesnt have any slave outs or dedicated ext. cab outputs so i don't think it would work. depending on your situation, if you're playing gigs i recommend micing it to the house PA
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666
you could use your 8 ohm 4x12 if you have an 8 ohm power amp (priced at around $100 for a descent one like mosvalve or rocktron) and no external cabs would need to be purchased

I think I understand but I don't want to spend $100 on a power amp if there are cheaper alternatives.

Fender champion doesnt have any slave outs or dedicated ext. cab outputs

Are you sure? I can see a 1/4" line out in the back where the combo's speaker is currently plugged in, cant I just unplug the speaker and plug in the cab?
Last edited by ixelion at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by ixelion
Are you sure? I can see a 1/4" line out in the back where the combo's speaker is currently plugged in, cant I just unplug the speaker and plug in the cab?

I didn't see that when i looked at images of it, but if it has one then yes it will work. the extension cab will also sound better than the speaker within the combo amp

EDIT: if its only 1 output, it won't drive both speakers in the extension cab unfortunately, so it would be the same as leaving the amp the way it is. but if the extension cab has an input that reads "mono" and a switch for mono, it will make that 1 cable's signal come out of both speakers in the 2x12
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish

Quote by jakekilgore666
Last edited by SeanHart213 at Jan 27, 2008,
EDIT: if its only 1 output, it won't drive both speakers in the extension cab unfortunately, so it would be the same as leaving the amp the way it is. but if the extension cab has an input that reads "mono" and a switch for mono, it will make that 1 cable's signal come out of both speakers in the 2x12

Ok this is fine buy me the MC212 does indeed have mono input as well as a switch for mono so hopefully it will drive both speakers.

Thanks SeanHart213 !!
Quote by ixelion

Both speakers will work. They are 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel when in mono mode. Two 8's in parallel = 4 ohms. The DI box will not do anything. It's a direct pass-thru that taps off the speaker line for the DI part.