I have got my ebow, and while I can make some very ambient east-asian music on the normal mode, when I use the harmonic mode, the low E string doesn't seems to change the pitch at all (such as fretting 5th fret, then fret the 8th fret). Can someone elaborate on the usage of harmonic mode, and how come it does not work as well on the low E?
Last edited by Jestersage at Jan 27, 2008,
Bump

BTW, Lesson 7 from their website seems to say something along the line that the harmonics can be carried over from lower frets. Is that what they are talking about?
Okay, I finally found the answer. Sorry for all the bump, but I got the feeling that people are ignoring me because of my previous comments.

Anyway, from the website http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/EbowTech.htm
The inventor of the Ebow, Gregory S. Heet, also discovered that when the current thru the output coil is reversed, the fundamental frequency of the string is damped and the harmonics are accentuated and and are driven more. This appears to be the "Harmonic Mode" in the current incarnation of the Ebow, called the PlusEbow, which is the model that I have.

So i guess what happen is that due to the fact that ebow provides harmonic notes to all the available notes, what is normally not achieveable becomes possible; thus, for example both 5th and 8th fret produce the 3rd harmonic (E), which I had confirmed with my tuner, along with other normally occur harmonics.

The reason I have not found this out for a while is that I use the harmonic mode mainly to play Lilium, which is used mainly on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string, where harmonic mode only produce a note with slightly different timbre.

My only request is someone verify what I had found with my conclusion as to the effect of the harmonic mode.
you're right that the harmonic mode produces the most interesting effects on the higher strings. honestly though, i've never put much thought into it. sorry.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.