Hey guys,

Well, I've started my first major modding project. I got an old Squier Stratocaster off of a friend who doesn't play guitar anymore. So I've decided I'll mod it.

Just a question for future reference, if I shoved a humbucker in a Fender and a humbucker in a Squier, they'd sound the same right? Even though its a cheaper guitar, it would still sound the same?

Anyway, on topic now, I was thinking of making it a relic guitar. I love the look of relic guitars, but poly will take FOREVER (literally) to relic well, so I'll speed up the process. I was thinking of dulling the finish with 1000-grit and then re-buffing it after I threw some keys at it, buried in the dirt for 2 days, heated it and threw it in the snow, etc. Afterwords, I wanted to replace the pickups to put some sort of humbucker in the bridge, a lipstick single coil in either middle or neck (Don't know whats best) and a lace sensor in either middle or neck. Then, buy a new neck, say off of Warmoth or something, and have it have a reversed Strat headstock. Afterwords, I'd relic the neck (how would I go about making the neck look like this?):

Afterwords, I'd do some other changing here and there, and maybe replace the bridge and tuners to gold, or just rust up the existing silver ones.

Any other ideas? Comments?

Here is a rough outline of what I'd like it to be:
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
That looks really good. As for the question about the humbucker, it would sound different in a Squire and a Fender as the build quality and the type of wood used.
About the sound of the humbucker., it wouldnt sound the same.
If the woods are the same and of the same quality, it'll sound smiliar, but otherwise no.
And different humbuckers have different sounds, and of course there are all the electronics to think about.

But it shouldn't sound bad if its an alder or ash squier. If its agathis, it'll sound darker than a regular strat
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i love the 'worn' look
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
What does he mean "poly will take forever to relic"?
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
I'm glad people like it, most people right now would have gone
ZOMG N0OOOZZ!!!11 DONT R3LIC T3H GUITAR! PLAYZ ITT!!!

But I don't want to relic, its more of a beat up look.

But yeah, this'll probably set me back $300 bucks, but I bet it'll sound awesome.

Btw, what kind of wood are Fender Strats made of?

Quote by Krist333111330
What does he mean "poly will take forever to relic"?

To answer your question, poly doesn't really relic whilst nitro does. They are both different types of paint. Nitro is oil based I believe, and poly is a plastic-esque substance.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
I am thinking about doing something really similar...I have an affinity squire im thinkin bout relicing..puttin a new bridge and pickups on it...What do you guys recommend....fixin up the squire...or buy a whole new fender...like a standard or HSS?
Depends... this project of mine might rack me up at $300, but a new Mexican Strat goes for around $399. It's really your choice.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda
I'm glad people like it, most people right now would have gone
ZOMG N0OOOZZ!!!11 DONT R3LIC T3H GUITAR! PLAYZ ITT!!!

But I don't want to relic, its more of a beat up look.

But yeah, this'll probably set me back $300 bucks, but I bet it'll sound awesome.

Btw, what kind of wood are Fender Strats made of?

To answer your question, poly doesn't really relic whilst nitro does. They are both different types of paint. Nitro is oil based I believe, and poly is a plastic-esque substance.

Fender strats are usualy made of alder and sometimes ash. Bright woods.
Squiers are usually made of alder and agathis. Alder in the squiers will probably be lower quality, but still sound similiar. Agathis is halfway between alder and mahogany. Not as dark and heavy as a mahogany guitar would be, but not as bright as alder. Agathis also has very low quality control, so while it's capable of making good guitars, it's your luck how good the quality is.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by purplestrat
could i get a squire to ever sound and feel as good as a standard?

Probably not... I own an American strat and an old Squier... the American blows it away even though the Squier has some new pickups.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by purplestrat
could i get a squire to ever sound and feel as good as a standard?

You could. The body is pretty much fine, but the necks on a fender strat are amazing.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
So is poly like the standard clear glossy finish,like on MIM strats? And the nitro is like on the highway 1 serise?
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
Its on http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp

Yes, poly is the standard coat although nitro is still used by Fender Custom Shop and on some American strats (last time I hit my local music store, there was an American Strat with nitro for about $900)
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Quote by djszkoda

Yes, poly is the standard coat although nitro is still used by Fender Custom Shop and on some American strats (last time I hit my local music store, there was an American Strat with nitro for about $900)

Thanks a lot,Im new to refinishing.
Hey no problem.

But if you were to refinish your guitar in nitro, you'd have to sand all of the stuff off, apply a nitro sealer, primer, than color, but I'm not sure if a clear coat is put on nitro guitars.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

How long do you think the whole thing would take?
Quote by djszkoda
Hey no problem.

But if you were to refinish your guitar in nitro, you'd have to sand all of the stuff off, apply a nitro sealer, primer, than color, but I'm not sure if a clear coat is put on nitro guitars.

isn't the nitro itself a clear coat?

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Dag, I'm not too sure =/

Well, I repainted my guitar w/ nitro a while ago, took about a month, but I'm very lenient.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Im looking to do a MIM strat with a nitro 2-tone sunburst,so i dont know if it will take longer than usual because of the burst...
I've done a handful of guitars in burst, but I haven't used nitro. Try checking some of the links in the sticky, but I recommend you go to www.projectguitar.com
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Hopefully, have to find one first.

Thanks!
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.