I finished modding my '06 MIM Strat just a few days ago, and thought I would take pics to show UG.

^ That's the guitar that I started with. A MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in Arctic white with a maple fingerboard. The only thing non stock about it was I installed strap locks about a year ago when I bought it.

This was the final result:

^ I decided to change the pickguard and plastic parts to black. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Hot Rails copy (more on that later) and replaced the original vintage bent steel saddles with high mass Ferra-Tech saddles. I also replaced the string retainer with a roller model. The stock tuners are surprisingly high quality (I found out that the manufacturer "Ping" is owned by either Grover or Gotoh, I forget which one) so I decided to leave them. For better tuning stability I installed a Hipshot Trem-Setter. Finally, the wiring is custom.

^ That's the face of the guitar. Nevermind the fact that switch tip is still white. I'm still looking for a replacement. I've bought two black ones and they niether of them fit. Anyway, you'll notice that the bridge pickup is a single coil Hot Rails pickup. It's actually not made by Duncan, it's a copy that I bought off of eBay for $25. It was described as having output of about 12.4K, but I measured it as having output closer to 13K, which is fine with me. I really like the sound of it distorted. It has great dynamics and harmonics. With both coils it sounds a little muddy while clean, but with coil split turned on it has a great bell-like tone. The pickups are wired like this:

Pos. 1: Neck
Pos. 2: Neck + Middle, Out of phase
Pos. 3: Middle
Pos. 4: Middle + Single coil of bridge
Pos. 5: Bridge, complete humbucker

There was something weird about the pickup though: It didn't fit in the pickguard hole. At first I thought it was that the pickguard hole was too small but the pickup didn't fit into the stock pickguard either. It turns out they had used way too much insulation tape when isolating the coil from the shielding. The wires that attached to the coil were also sticking up too high and had to be glued down lower. After this pickup "surgery" it fit snugly, but still allowed for adjustment of the pickup height.

This is the back of the guitar. The tremolo cover is also black to match the front. I had to plug a few of the original holes and drill some new ones so it would fit:

I highly recomend the Trem-Setter. When your not using the bar the bridge behaves exactly like a hard-tail, even when setup floating. When your done using the bar the guitar is always in tune. If adjusted properly then the bar behaves really smooth, and it doesn't feel like there's a "friction point" where the Trem-Setter clicks into place.

Here's the headstock:

For good measure I added a sticker to it (it came with my brother's GH3, lol). I think it looks nice.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. It sounds great, plays great (super low action), and personally I think it looks great.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
that's a sweet lookin' guitar, and all of your mods make good sense and are useful...good job!
Quote by sashki
Awesome
Reminds me of Jake E. Lee's guitar

exactly what i thought.

i assume thats what he was going for...?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
Quote by FLNagle
exactly what i thought.

i assume thats what he was going for...?

Him, and Johnny Ramone.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
looks nice. that isn't a good way to string your guitar though. do less winds and anchor your strings around themselves.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I was told that the best way to wind strings is to do one winding above the piece that sticks out of the hole and the rest below it. In turn the piece is pinched and the tuning is more stable. Also, I've found the best way to get the optimal amount of windings (at least with these tuners) is to pull the string all the way through the tuners, measure 5cm (on the low E) and cut the rest off. That's the best length for the string. As the strings get higher, add a cm so that by the high E the length is about 10cm.

It's kind of hard to explain, but it works well.
Quote by TastyMooglePie

Quote by Prankster1990
Damn, it looks really nice but all of the this modding stuff sounds really complex, I don't even have an electric guitar lol.
It looks like my guitar (cream, sss, black pg) so it's automatically awesome. But seriously, good job.
DIO FOREVER