Hi

I know how to tap, but I'm not sure about making my own tapping riffs. So the question is how do i get awesome tapping riffs like eddie and vai?
Isn't tapping basicly just playing arpeggios?

-Any help is welcome, cheers.
鋼の錬金術師
Ive always tapped using arpegios. Scales will work as well tho. Its really just keep messing around until something sounds good and original
You can do scales and also arpeggios, Green tinted sixties mind by Paul Gilbert came about from him discovering a chord progression he'd come up with of E - Esus4 - D5 - E5 (which sounds pretty cool) was stolen from somewhere accidently, so he figured out how to tap it, and thats how the beginning of that song opens up
Here are the arpeggios of the tapping section of Eruption:
C#m-A-D#dim-B-E-C-D-E
The next part contains a bunch of chromaticism. Then, the repeating part that everyone knows is: B-Em.

What you should learn from this is that when you're coming up with a tapping lick, always have a progression in mind that your arpeggios and scales follow. Something else to keep in mind is that the style of tapping that Eddie Van Halen made famous was done basically to death in the 80s, so play around with other devices besides triads. Tapping based on pentatonic scales is definitely a cool way to break outside the norm, and lends itself well to multi-fingered tapping.

Good luck.
Quote by philipisabeast
You can do scales and also arpeggios, Green tinted sixties mind by Paul Gilbert came about from him discovering a chord progression he'd come up with of E - Esus4 - D5 - E5 (which sounds pretty cool) was stolen from somewhere accidently, so he figured out how to tap it, and thats how the beginning of that song opens up

I rate Gilbert - but he falls in to the trap of treating all notes as being equal which produces the homogenised guitar sound so popular in the 1980's. As synths and guitars get closer this becomes less needed - indeed you can now play one through the other. The hidden secret of great guitarists is phrasing and vibrato. So a standard scale can be made different by increasing or decreasing vibrato or string manipulation. A lot of clever solos use convention most of the way, but borrow a note from another scale (sometimes this is the hook or part of it) or go up on one scale and come down on another. You should also note the "heavy tease" scale it goes up a few notes a few before falling back to the start and then climbing again - like on a piece of elastic. Always practise both forwards and backwards anyway. So there you have my two hobby horses - trying to create more "drama" and "less notes more phrasing."
Stop showing off and play the music!