Okay, I just got my guitar re-stringed with nylon strings instead of steel. And as I was tuning the strings, they kept untuning (going back to the low of-tune key) while I was tuning it. What does that mean? The strings are the proper type? I just want it to stay correctly tuned for 5 bloody seconds.
Did you put nylon strings on a standard acoustic meant for steel strings? That's not good, as the tension of the nylon strings is too low for the acoustic's neck and it will eventually start warping.

The strings going out of tune is normal for new nylon strings, as they stretch more at first than steel strings. They will settle in a day or two.
Either the guitar isnt designed for nylon strings, or the tuning pegs need tightening, there should be a screw on them that you cna tighten them up. But if they've all gone at once, and its only after you've put the strings on, its probly something to do with the strings
----
If the guitar is a cheaper one, you probably just have bad tuning heads, which slowly lose their hold under tension. You can replace them for less than $40 installed for nice ones. Also, you may not be winding the strings properly. There are a bunch of different ways to tie off a string, try some that hold it better. To answer your question, its not the strings. If they are new, they should stay in tune.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']Did you put nylon strings on a standard acoustic meant for steel strings? That's not good, as the tension of the nylon strings is too low for the acoustic's neck and it will eventually start warping.

The strings going out of tune is normal for new nylon strings, as they stretch more at first than steel strings. They will settle in a day or two.

yeah what this guy said
Okay. Thanks everyone. The old strings before these were also nylon and are the proper strings for a classical guitar. I tightened the screws and now I'm gonna take your advise and wait a day or two to see what happens. it's strange because only the last three strings kept untuning while the metallic coated strings weren't.
Last edited by Caren H at Jan 27, 2008,
Hi Caren, it is a bit unclear to me from your messages, but I figure you have a classical (spanish type) guitar which you put new nylon strings on. I hope you never put steel strings on it as it looks like you said in your original post.
Assuming you looked at the way the original strings were knotted/ looped and copied it on the new strings the problems is likely at the pegs. Ill quote myself here from a different post as someone else had exactly the same problems (rapid detuning of the clear high sounding strings, didn't stop after a couple of hours while having the knots/ ties correctly at the bridge):
"My first guess would be that the nylon unwound string are slipping at the tuning peg. These nylon strings are really slippery and need to be looped under themselves properly to avoid this.
Here is a good site that shows how to do this:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Mus...lassicstr1.html

Also, nylon strings are notoriously stretchy the first couple of hours, so even properly stringed classicals tend to lose their tuning fast the first day you play on it."
blah blah blah ^_^
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by Dylan_IE
Hi Caren, it is a bit unclear to me from your messages, but I figure you have a classical (spanish type) guitar which you put new nylon strings on. I hope you never put steel strings on it as it looks like you said in your original post.
Assuming you looked at the way the original strings were knotted/ looped and copied it on the new strings the problems is likely at the pegs. Ill quote myself here from a different post as someone else had exactly the same problems (rapid detuning of the clear high sounding strings, didn't stop after a couple of hours while having the knots/ ties correctly at the bridge):
"My first guess would be that the nylon unwound string are slipping at the tuning peg. These nylon strings are really slippery and need to be looped under themselves properly to avoid this.
Here is a good site that shows how to do this:
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPAGES/Mus...lassicstr1.html

Also, nylon strings are notoriously stretchy the first couple of hours, so even properly stringed classicals tend to lose their tuning fast the first day you play on it."

Sorry for this extremely late reply. Once again, thanks to all of you for you're advice. They really helped. And yes Dylan, I do have a spanish guitar. I also checked out that site in January. I did the strings over, with the proper loops, waited two days and now my guitar is great.
Good stuff!
Nylon strings can be a pretty big pain when you first re string.