if i want to be in a band so i bother learning how to read music?
In most bands, the ability to read bass clef isn't that needed, unless it's a Jazz band, or something equally formal.

Although you should learn to, there really isn't a reason not to, it's a very important asset to have!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
I think reading has improved my ability so much. Then again, I've only known how to play with sheet music. Never done the whole "I think I'll pick up a bass to look cool, make a FoB cover band" thing.

Knowledge is the only way. otherwise you're generally a poser. MAke sure you know theory too.

Oh, and I suppose if you want to learn a song, buy a songbook and read the notes. You learn rhythms and you can actually play the piece properly, instead of using unreliable tabs.
as long as you are able to count. you can join a band. if you are in a band from poeple that are pro's with music theory... than learn
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
just learn to read anyays, it takes no time at all and is easyish
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Learning to read music is not a necessity, but reading tabs is like reading a book written in Spanish translated into English. You are going to get the jist but not the nuances.

I will always be glad I learned to read music--it has opened up a level of understanding and areas of music I would have never encountered otherwise.
well its not hard in the first place. spanish is much more harder than reading music. and you go from the a string to a Bb then a b then a c and flats are a half step down sharps are a half step up.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
It's completely worth it IMO. When we were recording some songs I needed some piano parts, but I don't play piano, so I wrote the sheet and handed it to a pianist I know and there, we have piano! Helped me a great deal to comunicate an idea.
It really depends on your aspiration as a musician, and your mode of operation. It is a really useful tool to have... and can open your doors to a world of contacts if you're a reader. Also, it can help you understand music as it is put in a context for you.

If music is more about having a quick jam with friends, then perhaps its use may not be so apparent and there are more skills which are more vital in any case. But say if you're in a jazz ensemble, it then becomes important.

Luckily for me I spend hours and upon hours slaving away at reading piano music, so I can read (but not particularly fast), and I must admit it has been very useful to me.