Is wanting to buy either a Marshall MG halfstack, or that one crate halfstack.
I keep talking to him to get a tube combo (Like, used peavey classics, palominos, other nice combos like that), and he doesn't want them because they're not a stack.
He hasn't tried a tube amp before, and thinks that amps with higher wattages are automatically better than lower wattage amps. He also said that a 100w marshall MG will sound better than a budda superdrive 18 watt just on the fact that the marshall is bigger, higher wattage, and Marshall.
Can you help me reason with him? He's getting ready to buy one, and I want to stop him from buying something that he'll end up regretting.
Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Is this the dude that was in your vid?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Nope.
But the guy in the video wants to get the Line6 spider 150 watt stack. But, he likes to spend his cash on gay stuff like ipods and stuff like that, so he only has a budget of like 150 bucks, increasing very slowly.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
the spiders sound fun, at .5 volume.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Just get him to try a tube combo and an mg side by side in a store.
If he doesn't hear the difference, then let him spend his money and regret it later.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Just let him do it. But warn him about $600 wasted that he won't get back....
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
All right.
I wouldn't want him to regret it or anything like that though.
Plus, we hang out alot and play guitar, so for the sake of my ears, it'd be nice if he had decent tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i completely agree w/ Miggy, if he doesn't notice the difference in tone...then he'll realize a few weeks down the road!!

but to the TS, i COMPLETELY know how it feels to see a friend eager for something that i know for a fact is a terrible decision....but if you go around telling him he's wrong he might just think you're being conceited and that you're a know-it-all.

friends don't let friends make dip**** purposes....

play some MCR or some band he can't stand the tone of and tell him that they all use MGs, and that MGs are known for that one and only tone.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
tell him to get the peavey windsor half stack
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
I showed him some SRV songs, and he loved his tone, and I told him that he liked to use fenders and marshalls and stuff. Then he started fighting with me, here's our conversation:

Friend: I like this guy's tone.
Me: Yeah, he used fender and marshall amps alot.
Friend: So, if I get the marshall halfstack, i'll sound like that?
Me: No, the marshall you're wanting won't sound like that at all.
Friend: Why not? You said he used marshalls, so why won't the one I want sound like him?
Me: He used nice valve marshalls, and nice overdrives too. The MG won't sound like him because it's solid state so it doesn't have the same dynamics and voicing, and it just sounds fake because it's a bad solid state (told him that some solid states were good)
Friend: But it's marshall, so it has to be good. Jimi hendrix and everyone like that used marshalls.
Me: Not MG's
Friend: But, marshall MG's are solid state, so they're cheaper and more reliable, and the MG has more wattage and effects BUILT IN.
Me: Well, you'll realize after a couple weeks after you buy the MG/Crate that you made a mistake.
Friend: No I won't, you'll see.

So, this kid is stubborn. If he wants to, i'll just let him get it, but I may just laugh on the inside when he wants to return it, and he finds out that the return policy is over. Oh well, it happens.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yeah, let him keep it until the return policy's finished.

A severe case of 'I told you so'.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
jesus. tell him the peavey windsor is designed to be a hot rodded marshall. and make him shut up.

or you shut up for a month, and tell him, "you still like it? i hope not."
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Oh yeah, almost forgot about the windsor.
I told him about that too, but he said that he won't play a peavey. He claims they're stupid.
And I told him that it's quite nice, and showed him a pic, and he said that it looked "gay".
I even told him that it'll sound more marshally than the mg. He just replied and said "what'll sound more marshally than a marshall? Only a marshall can sound marshally, not a peavey".
I had a desire to slap him.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
just deny him the rights to play any marshall halfstack in your house.

Quote by darkarbiter7
Oh yeah, almost forgot about the windsor.
I told him about that too, but he said that he won't play a peavey. He claims they're stupid.
And I told him that it's quite nice, and showed him a pic, and he said that it looked "gay".
I even told him that it'll sound more marshally than the mg. He just replied and said "what'll sound more marshally than a marshall? Only a marshall can sound marshally, not a peavey".
I had a desire to slap him.

Take him to a guitar store so he can play both amps. If doesn't change his mind, let him take the MG home. When he tells you why does the MG have bad tone, use the 'I told you so'.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
ur explaining it to him wrong.

marshall gets the marshall sound. of course. they make it.

but waht everyone wants is the vintage marshall sound. not the ones in production now. ones in current production is ****ty as horse dump. (i hate mine too. but i'll see if a powertube swap would help) tell him that marshall changed their sound over the years (most notably '93 or so when JCM900 was introduced). the tone before that is the good tone. after, imo is crappy. JCM900 was only mediocre. JCM2000 just fell over.

so JCM800 is as far as i go. and up to that point, it was nothing bad. the tone stayed similar with more gain available. and a windsor is a hairy JCM800.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
whenever you jam with him, buy some earplugs, don't tell him you're wearing them, and crank your classic 50. and tell him you won't turn it down til he returns the mg.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
hahahaha, wow your friend is funny, just tell him to buy it. maybe he just wants to get the oposite op what you tell him...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Allright, i'll try explaining it to him like that EC.
Not sure if it'll help, it'll just make him want the crate more lol.
I'll try though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^go into the circuits. the peavey is better for the same price.

although u might want a different cab... or the peavey windsor studio.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I feel your pain man. While I have the same MG I know it is a pile of crap, whereas the other guitarist in my band has one aswell and can't hear how bad they both sound (thought i'd also add he has been playing for 6 years, me 3 years ). Then the other day I got me a JCM900 but at band practice yesterday the main fuse blew (need to get this sh*t sorted) before I got to show him the awesome difference in tone. He said "see, I told you valve amps are more trouble than they are worth", I wasn't in the mood so jokes so promptly told him to f-off and commented on the fact that he didn't even know how to plug in his volume boost pedal properly. Like your friend, he is too stubborn/bone-idle to realise he sounds like someone who licks windows.
The worst part is that I bought my MG because he said it was good and I trusted him because I had no tone ear back then.

/rant.

So anyway my advice. There is no getting through to people like this so I say just steal his money from him, buy a tube combo, hide it from his until the return date has passed then give it to him. Tough love.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
or just tell him this:

Quote by Gutch220

If you decide to get the MG anyway, I will do you a favor. Just give me half the money and I'll kick you in the balls. At the end of the day you would still have 1/2 your money.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I feel your pain. I have a friend who I FINALLY after a few months convinced to get a Windsor stack instead of an MG. I also have another friend who INSISTS on this SS Ibanez head http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX150H-Tone-Blaster-Xtreme-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=480946 that he has never tried because he thinks that Ibanez is the ONLY company that makes good guitars so they must make the best amps. His ignorance annoys me but I really don't care. He can buy it but I know he'll be looking for a new amp in a couple years.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.