How can i get the sound Allan uses for chords? And also for his solos that sound like a saxophone?
Use volume swells, and become incredibly good at improvising and legato.

In short... Don't bother
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by torturer6067
whats a volume swell?

Exactly what it sounds like: the volume 'swells' or increases.

Also you'll want to master 4 note per string stuff and jazzy scales and their uses.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
jazz aint that hard once you understand the chords! alot of new fusion jazz comes from the modes!
Quote by torturer6067
jazz aint that hard once you understand the chords! alot of new fusion jazz comes from the modes!

Sure, jazz ain't that hard... Once you understand and intrinsically know all the chords and thus voicings, arpeggios, and chord scales associated with them. Then there's the art of outside playing and the importance of ear training in that (and everything else, of course) as well.

I'd like to make a remark on your remark that fusion comes from the modes though... Jazz (and thus fusion) is approached a lot more from an arpeggio standpoint than a modes standpoint. From this point of view, modes are just chord tones with passing notes, unless we're talking about modal jazz/fusion.

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^ No, but a guy my dad works with---a massive Holdsworth fan---has and apparently its rather nice.
Im listening to Metal Fatigue right now.
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by Axegrinder#9
yea apparently it's really good stout beer, similar to Guinness but Holdsworth figured out something by which he gets the head to be creamier with more body!

Yes, its a very 'Northern' ale=english posters here will know what i mean.
Thank God im an atheist
How much more jazz can you get than inventing your own beer....
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
How about inventing your own beer and wearing a polo neck sweater?
Niiiiccce...
Thank God im an atheist
Quote by public property
How much more jazz can you get than inventing your own beer....

By being Allan Holdsworth...or Ronnie Scott.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Regarding his lead tone, I would suggest turning down the trebles. Overall, this gives a smoother sound, although the sound might get a little muddy. Needless to say, this type of tone is ineffective unless one can control it with legato chops, and even then, one cannot copy Holdsworth's sound.
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
Regarding his lead tone, I would suggest turning down the trebles. Overall, this gives a smoother sound, although the sound might get a little muddy. Needless to say, this type of tone is ineffective unless one can control it with legato chops, and even then, one cannot copy Holdsworth's sound.

No matter how hard anyone tries, they will not be able to get Holdsworth's tone. Its has been physically proven impossible. Scientist are baffled at the fact that any time any one gets close to sound like AH, they immediately become nuns and give up the guitar. Why?
Because of the 18th commandment. "Thou shalt not replicate AH, because thou will phail among biblical proportions."

ps
Allan's phrasing is ridiculously tasty.
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
anyone got any recommendations for a good album? i have already heard metal fatigue and road games and love them both.
Quote by lobster624
anyone got any recommendations for a good album? i have already heard metal fatigue and road games and love them both.

You really want an answer to that?

Get.Every.Single.One.

The Things You See/Sunbird (with jazz pianist Gordon Beck)
I.O.U.
Road Games
Metal Fatigue
Atavachron
Sand
Secrets
Wardenclyffe Tower
Hard Hat Area!!
Heavy Machinery (collaboration with Jens and Anders Johansson – might have to search them)
None Too Soon (with Gordon Beck again)
The Sixteen Men Of Tain
Flat Tire: Music For A Non-Existent Movie

As for his phrasing, I can definitely nod in agreement and fear to that. I was, after all, standing but 5 feet away from him when I saw him live. Then I got to shake his hand afterwards! I tell you something – if anyone wonders why he can do those insane legato stretches and make a guitar look small... he's got HUGE HANDS!
Last edited by DaFjory at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by DaFjory
You really want an answer to that?

Get.Every.Single.One.

The Thing You See/Sunbird (with jazz pianist Gordon Beck)
I.O.U.
Road Games
Metal Fatigue
Atavachron
Sand
Secrets
Wardenclyffe Tower
Hard Hat Area!!
Heavy Machinery (collaboration with Jens and Anders Johansson – might have to search them)
None Too Soon (with Gordon Beck again)
The Sixteen Men Of Tain
Flat Tire: Music For A Non-Existent Movie

As for his phrasing, I can definitely nod in agreement and fear to that. I was, after all, standing but 5 feet away from him when I saw him live. Then I got to shake his hand afterwards! I tell you something – if anyone wonders why he can do those insane legato stretches and make a guitar look small... he's got HUGE HANDS!

You know what they say about guys with big hands

there legato technique is flawless...
And you can't spell funeral
without fun
hope you had a good time
cuz now your life is done
Holdsworth is innovative and technically great, but I hate his style. I love fusion, but i just can't stand Holdsworth.
*INSERT EGOTYSTICAL QUOTATION HERE*