READ FIRST: this is just based on a thought i've had for a week now, i'm not necessarily in need of any contructive help, im jus throwin this out there so no one says this post is pointless.

it's a common thought amongst a number of UGers who believe using effects disguises ur lack of ability to play well PERIOD.

but to the more open minded ones, they believe as long as used tastefully it isn't a bad thing.

so my thought pretty much, IMHO i don't think taste should be measured in HOW MUCH an effect is used, just whether or not it is pleasing to hear to the listener. and i believe Tom Morello uses his whammy tastefully ( well on Original Fire it's not so, but that's only one i can think of right now) on all his work, but many UGers will bash him for using it "too much" and i don't understand why it's bad that he uses it on a lot of his songs? he might be a whammy ***** but he definitely uses the whammy like it's supposed to be, he gets his damn money's worth for it that's obvious...

i dont think anyone would really bash David Gilmour for using a delay effect or chorus too much, so why on Tom and his whammy?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
There are 2 ways to use a whammy: A good one and a bad one.

To state the difference:

Good: Not using it too much, and when using it, it's used to put an accent somewhere.
Example: Dimebag

Bad: Used throughout the whole solo, sounds like goat getting raped with chainsaw
Example: Kerry King.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

For me I think he does use it too much. I feel he should use it, but sometimes he overkills it. To me, he's a great guitar player who really doesn't need it that much. The solos from Rage and Audioslave are radically different in someways. If you compare Bulls On Parade with say Like A Stone, you have a seal-being-electrocuted solo compared to a nice reverb-esque solo. Sure, the Whammy is cool at many parts, but sometimes he overkills it's novelty.
Gear

Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Ibanez RG370DX
BC Rich Warlock SE
BC Rich Warlock NJ Series (Kahler trem)
BC Rich Mockingbird Acrylic Ice Series
BC Rich Mockingbird Spiro Light
Line6 Bogner 1X12 Tube Amp
Bad is like Herman Ri who will play passages with it in each and every solo to the point where it serves no real musical purpose
i don't think he overuses it at all. he uses it to make interesting guitar parts to rap over. it works well, imo
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
If you use it too much, there's a risk you'll go blind.
MARK ALL THAT APPLY:

[_] [_] [_] [_] [x]

Quote by cagnius
Shut up. Actually, higher mods...can we ban him for being a cunt?
i hear ya on the herman li part...

and i agree w/ DiveRight also, i listen to Rage half b/c of the Metal sound and half b/c of the funk/rap. it's that whammy that makes it so damn funkafied but at the same time hardcore (not talkin gain-wise, just attitude-wise) and it's just perfect.

well i wouldn't compare B.O.P. and L.A.K. b/c one solo is killswithing DJ effect and the other is all octave up whammy....

i think B.O.P. solo fits it perfectly, no doubt.

RATM is what i blast through my cd player when i'm tired of all this pop rock bein played everywhere else
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by nedthehead
Bad is like Herman Ri who will play passages with it in each and every solo to the point where it serves no real musical purpose

Herman Ri?

Is that supposed to be a racist joke for bad english, or a typo? I really can't tell.

Anyway to the TS, if it sounds good I don't care.
G-man: Ive heard him speak fine without his accent. If he continues to use his accent for no reason, I will continue to call him Herman Ri for no reason
Quote by G-man05
Herman Ri?

Is that supposed to be a racist joke for bad english, or a typo? I really can't tell.

Anyway to the TS, if it sounds good I don't care.

You've never seen the video?

EDIT: Because I'm nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSNLfa1VPwo
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
You've never seen the video?

:wtf

um... what video?
Quote by nedthehead

His main use is to make his guitar sound 1 octave above what he's playing. I personally like the way he uses it.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by G-man05
um... what video?

Check out the edit.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Tom doesn't over use it because he is being original.

I think if you were to use the wammy as much as him and not sound original, then you'd be overusing it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Yah, 'cause all Asian-wannabe-shredders talk like that.

RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I find Morello uses the harmonizer on the whammy more than anything, he will have the 1/2 oct up here and there even the 1oct down is a few but he uses it for the harmonies.

And to me Harmonizer+kill switch= BADASS

Billy Corgan Stratocaster

ADA MP-1 Pre-amp
Marshall JMP-1 Pre-amp
Mesa Strategy 500 power amp
Mesa oversized cab(v30s)

Digitech Whammy (WH-4)
Original CryBaby Wah
Custom WH Red Llama
Custom EHX Big Muff pi
TCe Polytune
Quote by daheck1210
... The solos from Rage and Audioslave are radically different in someways. If you compare Bulls On Parade with say Like A Stone, you have a seal-being-electrocuted solo compared to a nice reverb-esque solo. Sure, the Whammy is cool at many parts, but sometimes he overkills it's novelty.

For the record, in the Bulls On Parade solo, he doesn't use the whammy, he uses a wah while rubbing the strings. He only uses the whammy to harmonize down an octave.

I don't think Tom Morello overuses the Whammy at all

Quote by CORT noob
Tom doesn't over use it because he is being original.

I think if you were to use the wammy as much as him and not sound original, then you'd be overusing it.

Exactly how i see it
Quote by ItWillDo
Bad: Used throughout the whole solo, sounds like goat getting raped with chainsaw
Example: Kerry King.

hahahahahahahaha!!!