i realize this asking alot from one amp, but hope fully you guys can help me out.

as the title sugests i need a new amp, but i'd likeit to be an upgrade on both my guitar amp and bass amp (obviously the bass amp takes more presidence)

i need enough power for small gigs, at around 4-500 dollars

what styles do i play?
bass: jazz, funk, not much else, maybe rock?

guitar: ska( the biggie), and alternative rock

now it doesnt have to have onboard distortion, but if it doesnt then id like it to be able to handle pedals well, other wise fire away
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
i think laney make things like that
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
You could just buy a good bass amp and use it for both your guitar and bass. It'll sound a bit more bassy, but you prob won't have any onboard effects (pedals are better anyway).

And I don't know any amps that can't "handle pedals well"
Bass amps double as guitar amps perfectly. Bass speakers handle more power and bass cabinets always have both higher and lower frequency responses. However, you'll want one with a graphic EQ - EQing basses and guitars are quite different, and the bass/mid/treble knobs on a bass amp might not sound right with guitar.

That said, for that price, you should order direct from Carvin.

For your limit/a bit over, you can get a 600W combo:
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR610
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR615

You know you want it.

Also, for much cheaper, you can get a 120W version, which IMO is not enough for gigging, but a good deal at the price (especially considering it's all made in the States):
https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BR15
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
fitz, youve got me GASing for one of those carvin combos now.

i wish i would have known about them before i bought my Line6...
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by ryenzio1

It happens! I even somewhat regret getting that Peavey cab when I could have bought a blemished Carvin 18' for a little bit cheaper.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by ryenzio1

Me to. I dig that 2 x 10 one.
well i know this is going to sound lame, but since the security of mycomputer has been compromised i dont make online purchases, and also carvin doesnt make it easy to try out their amps before hand (on top of going used, id have to search around for one)

while i dont doubt the quality of their amps, are there any alternatives that migt be easier to find? with included graphic eq?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Not at that price level for that quality, no. The invest in your faith and pass the savings onto you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^Yeah. The fact is, Carvin makes the best gear out there at their price range. Look at the other amps in the ~$500 price range. Ampeg BA115? ****. Fender Rumble 100? ****. Ashdown MAG300? ****. There's nothing that compares to a Carvin. No, you can't try it out, but you're in the states! It's free shipping to you with a 10 day satisfaction guaranteed return policy. The only thing you have to lose is the few dollars for shipping it back. (Okay, it's heavy, so it might be around $80 for shipping it back. Or, what an excuse to take a road trip to CALIFORNIA!!!
i can stretch to 600 if need be... and by small gig, i mean cafe's, auditoriums, and house parties, and small bars

so if i were to get a solely guitar amp- around 20-30 watts tube
and like wise solely a bass amp- around 100 watts

i just want to kill twobirds with one stone, the two sounds i need above all are jazz (for the schools jazz band), and ska (for my own band)

truth is, i dont need that much wattage, so i figure by going after less volume the quality of the lesser volume should indeed make up for the fact that it is not as loud, no?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Last edited by latinosuperstud at Jan 27, 2008,
^ yes, but to my knowledge, more wattage needs a higher rated cab, which tend to be bigger, and i need something that isn't a hassle to trasport...

i know im being difficult, and im not completely barring the carvins, they are a valid choice, but id like to have more than one option
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Yeah, but those combos I pointed out are... combos.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^ yes the br15 looks very attractive to me, but im also asking if there is anything of similar wattage/ features for the same price or maybe more, just so i do not buy the first thing i see, and i can have something to compare it to
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Quote by latinosuperstud
^ yes the br15 looks very attractive to me, but im also asking if there is anything of similar wattage/ features for the same price or maybe more, just so i do not buy the first thing i see, and i can have something to compare it to

In the same price range... you're gonna get stuff like jazz_rock pointed out: 100W Ampegs and Fenders, a 300W Ashdown (which isn't even 300W)... not that great.

For the same amount of wattage (plus a tube preamp) there's a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse Venture, but it's like $1000 or something ridiculous.

I understand that you want to compare stuff, but really, Carvin is probably the best bang for you buck there is. I wish I knew about them before.