So I've been playing for about a year now and am looking at getting a new guitar soon. I have an Epi G310 which is obviously pretty crap. The one I would be getting would be http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/gibson/Studio.html which is about $1800 US dollars. That's pretty much the cheapest deal around here. The only thing is that I can't test the guitar because it will be shipped.

I have a couple questions:

-Is it worth spending 2 grand. Will I be disappointed?
-Should I perhaps look at getting a second hand one?
-If I go into a music store and ask to test out the Gibsons they'll probably say no/I'll look like an idiot. What can I do?
-I do have a tube but it is an Epi Valve Junior. This be sufficient?
-Are the 2007 Studios still really heavy as the LPs are or are they weight reduced?

Cheers
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
lol im sitting here right now playing on my gibson lp studio 2006 model...

DONT GET IT!!!

buy something else, research a bit, dont be impulsive and just buy it like i did!
they dont feel like a real les paul to me for some reason...theyre alot harder to play although they are alot lighter

its an alright guitar but i couldve gotten so much better for my hard earned cash
im pretty sure the necks are like wider higher up..or something its so hard to play high things its not funny...i wish i got an ibanez lol
Personally, I wouldn't buy that expensive of a guitar as your second. Maybe look into an acoustic or an acoustic/electric if you really want a quality guitar cheaper. You can get a good acoustic for a hell of a lot cheaper than a good electric, so consider that if it suits your style. Definitely try to go to a music store and ask to test a few guitars out. If you aren't able to test some in a store, find friends or acquaintances that play the guitar and ask to try theirs. Maybe you'll find a different model or brand that appeals to you and your playing style. Personally, I would never buy a guitar without trying it first, or any instrument, for that matter. Before you make any sort of decision, ask yourself if you really need a new guitar, or its just a matter of jealousy or envy, because it would suck to blow $1800 on something that wasn't worth your hard earned money. If you want, I could suggest a guitar that would suit your playing style and what music you like to play.
...shun the nonbeliever...
if you go into a store they will let you try anything there. theyknow better than anyone how important it is to play something before you use it.
2 grand is too much for a guitar. unless you have your heart set on getting a gibson, take a look at the high end Epiphones or the ESP/LTD's (they have real good emg's or seymour duncans). studios usually are lighter and you might want to look at some used gibsons.
what country are you in? this will effect your choices a lot
My Gear

Guitars
Gibson faded Sg in cherry red
Squire bullet special

Amps
Palomino v8
Effects
Danelectro Fish and chips EQ
Boss DM-3 analog delay
Digitech Bad Monkey
Thanks for the replies.

Ok so I don't think I'll be getting it now, haha.

Yeah I'm not really looking for another acoustic scotty. My style is mainly classic rock but also blues. I dunno why but I don't like the look of strats/teles or Ibanez. I really like how the LPs look. It would have to sound good through a Valve Junior as well.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by let it play
what country are you in? this will effect your choices a lot

Australia.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Once you start playing more, you stop caring as much about what your guitar looks like, but rather caring about what it sounds like. If you play classic rock and blues, I would definitely recommend a Strat. You may also want to look into a Fender Mustang or Jag. They both give that tone that sounds great with blues.
...shun the nonbeliever...
yuou can tell by the website

um in sydney you can get lp studios for like $1k ive seen them...and they werent apparently second hand...

and theyre a pretty good guitar for blues..great to learn on cos theyre quite hard to play lol
its just if you want to shred on them that makes them harder to play.. so dont buy off that website, look around and youre bound to get something a hell of alot cheaper.
also, if you felt like it, try ebay or similar websites
Quote by scottydosntkno8
Once you start playing more, you stop caring as much about what your guitar looks like, but rather caring about what it sounds like. If you play classic rock and blues, I would definitely recommend a Strat. You may also want to look into a Fender Mustang or Jag. They both give that tone that sounds great with blues.

Well I'm open to anything. What model Strat would be good for a second guitar for say 1200 US which will last me and sound good through my amp?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Quote by daltoor
yuou can tell by the website

um in sydney you can get lp studios for like $1k ive seen them...and they werent apparently second hand...

and theyre a pretty good guitar for blues..great to learn on cos theyre quite hard to play lol
its just if you want to shred on them that makes them harder to play.. so dont buy off that website, look around and youre bound to get something a hell of alot cheaper.
also, if you felt like it, try ebay or similar websites

Sounds dodgy. There's a near new Studio on ebay for 1500.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
isn't Ornsby guitars in Aus? maybe you could get him to build you one?
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Come on fellas, recommend me a good strat for about 1k.

Quote by Guitarplaymetal
isn't Ornsby guitars in Aus? maybe you could get him to build you one?

Yeah but by the looks of it, it would cost about 5 grand.
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
And what about the high end Epi LPs like the Custom?
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Maybe Ormsby will make you a stripped down version of his guitars... Dont get fancy inlays and shark f-holes...

Man If I were in Aus I would get one of those FER SURE!!!

And Ormsby if you are reading this.. feel free to send me one to test out for you!!!
i have an lp studio and its awesome, mines also from 1993 though so i dont have much input on current ones
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
i have an lp studio and its awesome, mines also from 1993 though so i dont have much input on current ones
Note ont his: The mid-90's Studios were fantastic guitars, literally just the Standards but with slightly cheaper finishes.

The newer (1998 and up to now) Studios are utterly, incredibly horrible though. Chipboard body? Hardware from an even cheaper cast than Epiphone's production models? No thanks.

Quote by zapparage
And what about the high end Epi LPs like the Custom?
Epi Custom isn't 'high end'. Epi Custom is mid-range. A 'high end' Epi is the Tony Iommi and Joe Perry signatures, about half their archtop range, and the Ultra. Low end is the Studio/100/Special models and below (exception: archtop range).

Then there's the Elitist range, which is actually counted as a whole separate division (just like the Gibson Custom Shop models aren't counted alongside Gibson production models).

For the record though, an Epiphone Custom is in fact closer to a 'real' Gibson Les Paul, than a new Gibson Les Paul Studio, Faded or Vintage Mahogany is. Yes, really. The only downside to the Epis is their darker tone (thanks to the different method of finishing - though for ultra-clean blues and for the heaviest and darkest of metal, the Epi tone is generally preferred anyway), the fact that you can only get them with the one standard Epiphone neck profile (rather then the various options Gibson offer), and the pickups being slightly inferior on paper (though the Gibson Studio's pickups really aren't any better in reality). The Epi has advantages such as a better constructed body, a more durable finish, and of course they're easier and cheaper to get hold of. Additionally, most people change the pickups on both guitars anyway, so that's a moot point, the tonal difference could be a good thing depending on what you play, and the neck profile is of course down to personal preference too.

Generally speaking I say if you can't get a good Gibson (above the Standard), then get an Epiphone Elitist. Failing that, hunt out one of the rare good production-level Epis, and upgrade it; either way, you're looking at a better guitar than a Gibson Studio/Faded/Vintage
Dude, you could get a nice Paul Reed Smith for like 1000...lighter, and better in my mind than a lp studio.
Gear:
MIM Strat
Ovation Applause Shallow-Body Acoustic

-----> PAGE
-----> CLAPTON
Quote by zapparage
Australia.

guitars at b music, there you could get a good esp standard or ltd.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by bokuho
For the record though, an Epiphone Custom is in fact closer to a 'real' Gibson Les Paul, than a new Gibson Les Paul Studio, Faded or Vintage Mahogany is. Yes, really. The only downside to the Epis is their darker tone (thanks to the different method of finishing - though for ultra-clean blues and for the heaviest and darkest of metal, the Epi tone is generally preferred anyway)

I don't know how many times this needs to be said, aside from the Elitist the mid ranged Epis aren't closer to a "real" Gibson Les Paul. The bodies are thinner, the neck/headstock angles aren't the same, and the maple tops aren't as thick. The thinner maple top is why Epiphones are darker.

Go ahead argue this now. Anyone who wants to actually see this for themselves just pick up a Standard or Custom Epi and a Studio or Faded Gibson and hold them side by side, you'll see the differences.

Chipboard in the Studios by the way? What did you figure this out when you apparently cut them up. I'm not arguing they don't use lower grade mahogany in the Studios but it's not chipboard.
i dont think anyone said this but what about the gibson vintage mahogany lp..it says studio but dont let that fool you....i think it plays amazingly well for $800...just throwing that out there
if you have relatives in usa, you can wire them the money and they can buy a gibson les paul classic for around 1800, and thn spend 200 on the international shipping. but thats only one way, another way is ebay. some sellers ACTUALLY DO ship internationally.
Quote by kckyle
they dont ship internatinally except canada.
I just put that link there so you could check out the guitar and specs, but you can find some sites that ship internationally.
1982 Fender Bullet
2003 Epiphone SG
Dude, even down under you can get that Studio cheaper than 1800 US, that's like, 2200 Aussie dollars (rough estimate). For that kind of money, you could easily get something far better, like a Gibson LP Standard for one. Just go to a music store and ask to play them, they'll give them to you (they'll watch you like a hawk if you're under 30, but they'll let you play them). Play as many guitars as you can get your hands on, and eventually you'll find the one for you, that's the best advice I can give.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Dude, even down under you can get that Studio cheaper than 1800 US, that's like, 2200 Aussie dollars (rough estimate). For that kind of money, you could easily get something far better, like a Gibson LP Standard for one. Just go to a music store and ask to play them, they'll give them to you (they'll watch you like a hawk if you're under 30, but they'll let you play them). Play as many guitars as you can get your hands on, and eventually you'll find the one for you, that's the best advice I can give.

+1, or if they dont, go in with your parents(if your under 18) and they cant really say no to adults
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
The thinner maple top is why Epiphones are darker.

Christ you must be thick.

It's the difference in finish that causes the Epiphones to have a darker tone.

The Epiphones use a polyurethane, which inherently doesn't let the wood 'breathe' as well. They also use a thicker layer as well, causing the tone to darken even more.

Gibsons on the other hand use nitrocellulose lacquer. This inherently lets the wood breathe and resonate clearer, and they use a thinner layer (in addition to the fact that nitrocellulose lacquer is a naturally thinner substance to begin with).

The bodies are thinner,
Incorrect. At least, comparing the decent Epis to their Gibson counterparts. I won't speak for comparing say, an actual 1958 LP against something **** like an Epi Junior, because that'd just retarded.

the neck/headstock angles aren't the same,

We already went over this last time. Of course they're not the same. This 'point' is as useful as saying they come with different cases.

Go ahead argue this now. Anyone who wants to actually see this for themselves just pick up a Standard or Custom Epi and a Studio or Faded Gibson and hold them side by side, you'll see the differences.
For obvious reasons (read: they're long dead), I don't have either of my Studios or Faded to do a direct comparison right now. From memory though, and just from having handled enough of them, I can tell you this is bull****.

Chipboard in the Studios by the way? What did you figure this out when you apparently cut them up. I'm not arguing they don't use lower grade mahogany in the Studios but it's not chipboard.
I was referring to the construction of the bodies inside being akin to chipboard. Christ.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're a Studio/VM/Faded buyer who's too hell-bent on convincing himself he didn't waste his money to face up to the actual facts of the matter.

Quote by Venom5.0
i dont think anyone said this but what about the gibson vintage mahogany lp..it says studio but dont let that fool you....i think it plays amazingly well for $800...just throwing that out there
The VMs are just as bad as the Studio and Faded series.

When will people learn? There is no such thing as a good cheap Gibson. Those guitars are cheaper for a reason. Don't piss your money away, get a Standard or Classic at the least.
dude bokuho calm down.. studios are great guitars man, my friend has one it sounds amazing. You're the one who is hell bent against them, I don't see anybody else backing you up either...
Christ you must be thick.

It's the difference in finish that causes the Epiphones to have a darker tone.

The Epiphones use a polyurethane, which inherently doesn't let the wood 'breathe' as well. They also use a thicker layer as well, causing the tone to darken even more.

Gibsons on the other hand use nitrocellulose lacquer. This inherently lets the wood breathe and resonate clearer, and they use a thinner layer (in addition to the fact that nitrocellulose lacquer is a naturally thinner substance to begin with).

Obviously you've never been inside either guitar. The maple caps on Epiphones are clearly thinner than Gibsons which has much more of an impact of the brightness.

Incorrect. At least, comparing the decent Epis to their Gibson counterparts. I won't speak for comparing say, an actual 1958 LP against something **** like an Epi Junior, because that'd just retarded.

They are slighty thinner. Take a ruler to them. Or better yet anyone who wants to know the truth, look at them in person.

We already went over this last time. Of course they're not the same. This 'point' is as useful as saying they come with different cases.

Then don't say the Epiphone is closer than a Studio or Faded to a "real" Gibson Les Paul when they clearly aren't for reasons like the neck/headstock angles.

For obvious reasons (read: they're long dead), I don't have either of my Studios or Faded to do a direct comparison right now. From memory though, and just from having handled enough of them, I can tell you this is bull****.

No, what's bullshit are your novel length posts which are filled with loads of nonsense about guitars you've probably never even touched before. You claim you've cut Gibsons up before... post some pics, prove your points. I mean you seem to be out spreading the gospel on Gibson and Epiphone production why not post some actual proof.

I was referring to the construction of the bodies inside being akin to chipboard. Christ.

Ah now there chipboard. Yesterday they were lower grade hacked off pieces of mahogany glued together. Wonder what we'll have in there tomorrow?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you're a Studio/VM/Faded buyer who's too hell-bent on convincing himself he didn't waste his money to face up to the actual facts of the matter.

Nope. I own an Epiphone.
dude imfrom australia, buy something off ebay, u can get a gibson lp standard YES standard off ebay for 2 grand... maybe a little over but the studio is junk from what ive heard. if ur gonna spend 2 grand get an epiphone elitist, heard good things about them
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Obviously you've never been inside either guitar. The maple caps on Epiphones are clearly thinner than Gibsons which has much more of an impact of the brightness.
The maple caps used to be thinner, before the production change over. Take a look in a new Epi.

Additionally, if you'd ever bothered to really inspect them, you'd know the maple cap makes ****-all difference with Epiphone anyway, at least on stock production guitars. The basic bridges are so badly made and attached on most Epis, the top third-inch of the guitar's body makes no sodding difference to the tone. It's not until you change the bridge (or have lucked out) that it starts to make a difference, and even then - see above.

They are slighty thinner. Take a ruler to them. Or better yet anyone who wants to know the truth, look at them in person.

See above, pretty much.

Then don't say the Epiphone is closer than a Studio or Faded to a "real" Gibson Les Paul when they clearly aren't for reasons like the neck/headstock angles.
Considering that Gibson currently produce seven different neck profiles, three of which are commonly found on their Les Pauls, and that the angle of the headstock has changed more times than I care to remember over the years, this is completely and utterly irrelevant.

No, what's bullshit are your novel length posts which are filled with loads of nonsense about guitars you've probably never even touched before. You claim you've cut Gibsons up before... post some pics, prove your points. I mean you seem to be out spreading the gospel on Gibson and Epiphone production why not post some actual proof.
I already covered all this last time. Jesus.

And novel-length? Posts like this take all of forty seconds to read, and you're replying with just as much.

Ah now there chipboard. Yesterday they were lower grade hacked off pieces of mahogany glued together. Wonder what we'll have in there tomorrow?
You seem to be suffering from selective heari... well, selective reading. Learn what 'akin' means. In fact, just learn how to read properly, it'll save us both time.

Nope. I own an Epiphone.
In that case, I'd like to know where you get your 'undeniable' information on Gibsons then.

It seems either you're an unhappy [brand] owner wanting to justify themselves, or you're a brainless eejit with nothing helpful to contribute and a pointless vendetta against me for no apparent reason other than to be a time-wasting arse. Take your pick.

Quote by Grimpenguin
studios are great guitars man, my friend has one it sounds amazing.
if it's an older (mid-90's) Studio then fair enough.

If it's a newer one, then sorry, but no. New Studios only sound good if your previous experiences only consist of even crapper guitars like Epi Special-IIs or *50 LTD guitars. Play a Gibson Supreme with a BB #1 and #2, then you'll see what an 'amazing' guitar tone is.
Quote by bokuho
Chipboard body?

I thought it was hacked up plywood bokuho? It was, according to you just last week. Make up your mind dude... jeez.

You make me split my fcuking sides with your dribble. I used to get wound up by your nonsensical remarks because of the misleading nature to those who are here looking for real advise and factual information, but not any more.... You're a joke.

It's just a shame that you insist on this anti-studio crusade and continue to insult others, be it directly or indirectly, with your absolute bollocks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Im gonna stick my head in and say Dean Hardtail!

I think its safe to say that an LP studio is way too expensive for what it is...

I have no idea how hard it is to get your hands on a Dean in aus tho..
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
you guys are nuts lol. stop arguing and just help this kid out.

i was, however, quite entertained by your posts, lol.

The only gibson ive ever really liked at all was the explorer...so yeh, I dont have much advice as far as LPs go.

I have, however, heard that the new LP studios arent as good as the older ones...but...thats only hearsay as far as im concerned.

go judge them for yourself bud. Just dont limit yourself to gibson, check out some ESPs Jacksons and Ibanez too, all of these brands have some great things to offer.

Oh, and how can I forget strats!! I dont like their feel much, but man oh man do some of those strats get a nice sound.

From what style youve described as being your focus, id say go for a strat. Fender is making some great strats these days, and you can get them for an affordable price. To get a truly good Gibson it has to be the TOP of the TOP, and that means $$$.

do yourself a favor and check out some other guitars other than LPs
edwards/MIJ Tokai. I think you can get those pretty easily in australia.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bottom line, dont get the studio unless is 1995 or something, and for 2 grand you can get a gibson les paul classic antique ebony brand new from ebay sellers who ship internationally