Hi guys,

SO recently I decided to get serious about this music career business and went out and bought a peavey XXX half stack and a bunch of interesting pedals. The XXX has a buffered effects loop on the back with a send and return level (which I don't know much about but am assuming that it's basically like a noise gate, just you select how much signal you send and return and that usually those 2 should be opposing [at least according to peavey]).

So anyways, the pedals I have running on the effects loop are (in order from signal sent from amp to signal sent back to amp): Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler, Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler, Digitech Whammy Wah XP 100.

Now that you know everything you need to know, I'm experiencing some problems with this. If I bypass the loop entirely via the amp footswitch, everything sounds fine, if I don't bypass the loop, the guitar is slightly quieter, and then anytime I actually go to use an effect instead of also having it bypassed (especially the whammy wah), alot of times I can't even hear the guitar without cranking the amp which seems unnecessary since 120W all tube is enough to make a baby's head explode.

Anybody got any ideas? The send level is at about 8 and return about 3, and one other important facet is I'm using a shoddy cable for the return part of the loop from the last pedal, but I really don't think that's what is causing the unwanted noise.

Thanks for the help.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
the whammy especially can produce a lot of noise. I suggest you try a noise suppressor at the end of your effects loop. Also, the send and return is not a noise gate, it is an input/output level. I tend to keep both of these around 50% on my amp. The XXX is already a pretty noisy amp.
WTLTL 2011
haha not really unless you play the ultra channel with the gain cranked all the way at low volumes. but yea, I definitely need to add a supressor, but even when I have the whammy bypassed I've noticed some of the filters on the MM4 and FM4 are entirely inaudible (like I can't hear the guitar or the effects really whatsoever), which is weird...

EDIT: oh, and regardless I'm going to replace that crap cable, but any other advice would be nice seeing as this is the first time I've dealt with an effects loop.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Try to isolate what exactly is causing all the hum. It might just be a defective unit...I still think a noise suppressor would do wonders for you.
WTLTL 2011