When I say "how" I mean to ask when/where/what. This came to my mind when I realized I cannot listen to music when surfing the internet or watching TV etc etc. I feel like I just turn it into elevator music and that I'm not really listening to it.

So UG metal forumers, how do you listen to metal? Do you simply put your computer on shuffle and turn on the speakers? Take out your mp3 player, pick an album, and plug in your headphones? Do you find your self a nice quiet room, find a nice seat, and let the music play?

Another thing I have noticed, certain genres due better in certain methods. Thrash and Death feel perfect coming from insane speakers while Atmospheric Black seems to lend it self well to headphones.

As for me I have a few ways. When I am trying out a new album I make sure no one is around to bother me, turn off my phone, and try it on my iPod. I find that using headphones rather then my ****ty speakers lets me hear everything and not miss a note.

If its one of my favorites I'll put the CD into my home entertainment system, much better then my computer, and blast it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I can't just listen to metal. I gotta be in that hyper/insane/headbanging mood.
I normally listen to it when I'm home alone and I can have my speakers on full blast =D
It sounds awesome with DFX WMP plug in too :P
Also when I'm travelling I enjoy listning to metal more then anything.
Sometimes it'll just be me on the computer listening to it on Itunes...here it tends to be something heavy, but other times I'll be reading and I'll keep something softer, like sum ambient black methulz or whatever.

Car speakers are fun with grindcoar or goargrind or brutal death though.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
i listen to it all the time, usually pumpin weights in the gym, its a good motavator, for the heavy weights.
regardless of the genre, to listen to music you should make sure it has your full attention. I guess the setting would be anywhere there are no/minimal distractions.
well i both listen to it and play it.....and i listen to it 24/7. its just my life......metal, metal, metal!!!!! lol.....death metal to be exact......
Band that grabs my full attention is The Blackout
Usually I have "I'm A Riot? Your A F**king Riot!" on repeat
And I also listen to alot of SlipKnoT
-tilts head- what an odd question...how do you listen anything? but anyway...I like it in the car...and during sex. Lamb of God and Tool (not really metal but w/e) are some of best sex music i've tried...
Listen to it on the PC will doing pretty much anything. I also have it on semi-quiet at ngiht and fall asleep to it. \m/
-J
Quote by dayzofdesire
-tilts head- what an odd question...how do you listen anything? but anyway...I like it in the car...and during sex. Lamb of God and Tool (not really metal but w/e) are some of best sex music i've tried...

Abstract questions are the best questions.

Funny you should mention sex songs, a while ago I had sex while listening to Moonsorrows V: Havitetty album.

Why must I mention that? Well the album is made of two 30 minute songs. So as you can imagine, it was quite a workout.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I need really good headphones
Listening to a whole album, instead of shuffle
And I always listen to music when on the computer but not TV.
I listen in a few situations. I always play music when I'm doing my homework, or when I'm reading or something (usually metal mags). When I get a new album or feel like just listening to some music, I get my good cans and and listen in my room. I also listen to black metal before I go to sleep a lot. I usually don't listen to albums at my computer, I generally just sample new bands on the internet.
Going to sleep.
Working out.
Eating.
On drugs.
Writing papers.
Drawing.

You know. Any time of day basically.

But mainly on drugs.

Everything is better on drugs.

I do too many.
24/7. my neck has gotten really sore over the past 2 years. and the music is not as exciting as it usto be.. i take a break with some opeth here and there.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Usually when I'm bed, trying to get to sleep, and whole albums usually. Full albums are better IMO for metal.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I never know what to do when I'm listening to music. I mean, when I'm on the computer it's another story, but I can never find anything to entertain myself with whilst listening to metalz. Usually I do a rubix cube haha.

But yea:
Itunes (on the computer, new music, etc.)
Headphones (in school, walking around, etc.)
Car (almost never, but once I'm old enough to drive........bwahaha)
Quote by raise_the_dead
Usually when I'm bed, trying to get to sleep, and whole albums usually. Full albums are better IMO for metal.

Sorry for doubling but +10. I hate the fad where you have to buy one song because it's the only good song! Since the moment I started listening to metal, 90% of what I've bought has been cd's.
walks in the woods.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
When im killing dragons, sacrificing virgins, slaying unbelievers, burning churches, preaching to the masses and other such tr00 gr1m br00tal necro phat kvlt activities.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
When I'm going to school, coming home from school, sacrificing virgins, sleeping, anytime of the day.
In the dark, on the recliner, with my Grado headphones. Sometimes I crash out on my bed or on the floor, instead. That's how I listen to most music, although I reach for the AKG headphones if I'm in the mood for some Brahms or Schnittke.
Last edited by Naturschützer at Jan 27, 2008,
I listen to it all the time, whenever I have the opportunity. I've got a surround sound system with a great sub in my room so when Im in there I have it cranked. I dont mind the "background music" thing if im reading or whatever.

On the train to and from work I listen to my mp3 player, and then I listen to it more at work.

The 6 hours a day I sleep is about the only time I dont listen to or play metal.
I'm just the opposite. I listen to 4-5 albums a day, normally about half of them metal. I don't like background music, and have other things to do: when I go for a run, I prefer to enjoy my surroundings. When I read, I prefer total concentration... et cetera.
When I do homework, driving or play video games. But I only listen to metal if the metal bands come in rotation (just my way of listening to my cds).
really f<u>u</u>cking loud..
Wenn die Nack einfällt
bedeckt sie die Welt
mit undurchdringlicher Dunkelheit.
Kälte steigt vom boden auf
und verpestet die Luft
plötzlich...
hat das Leben neue
Bedeutung

Burzum "Dunkelheit"
i listen to it anytime im on a computer, drivin, drinkin, or chillin... if im not doin any of that im playing it in my room on my guitar.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by beyondthegrave
i listen to it all the time. ive got 3 inches of blood going now. i dont tune the music out when im doing other things. i usually tune everything else out and forget what the hell im doing sometimes.

Same here, I'll listen to it anywhere, but if I'm doing homework or something, it always takes a long time to finish because I pay more attention to the music.
Usually when I'm on the computer, doesn't really matter what I'm doing. Although, If I'm just surfing the net, I'll manually pick each track to listen to, as opposed to games, where I make a setlist.

Also listen to it when I work. I just let my Ipod play, and when an artist folder is done, I pick another.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
From winamp but when i am home alone and its not early morning or late night night i turn on the cd-player, it is a heavy sound from those speakers even tho they are like 15 years old. I prefer the cd-player too, feels better to listen to a cd then a ****ty mp3.
Depends...

The atmospheric stuff - usually best without any distractions, loud,.. or good for when going to sleep and other situations where background is important.

Thrash and typical death metal - for most general situations

Black Metal - again best for me without any distractions, so you can fully concentrate on what's being played

Doom Metal good to play loud, because then you absorb the atmosphere more, and the crushing feel affects you a lot more,..

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM