I noticed the other day during band practice that when my mate who plays virtually the same guitar, a fender 60s (I have a 50s series), his guitar doesn't jerk around like mine does when I change (barre) chordes. Is this due to me having bad technique? Here's a pic of me just in case you can spot anything...
Btw I 've been playing for about a year now, mostly sitting down so I've never had this problem which is why I probably never noticed. Also bear in mind my hands get pretty damn sweaty..

I'm on the left...

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
naw dude, maybe that could coax a little more "emotion" out of your guitar.....if you can play it and it sounds good, there really isnt a problem with it jerking...
It's a long way to the top, If you wanna rock and roll
imo

you're probably pushing down too hard on your strings so that when you release to change position theres more of a change in your muscle tension and the weight placed on the guitar, so it moves around

hold your chords more softly, or if you cant make them without pressing hard, try and find new positions and shapes
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap

Put this in your sig if you realise this is because rock has become stale and unoriginal, while hip hop is continually evolving and truer to it's roots
it just means that your arm is moving more than his is...not necessarily bad technique
it sounds good, there really isnt a problem with it jerking...

thats what she said.

but no, its probly ok if it really matters to you move your arm a tad less
Quote by nt1440
ur technique looks pretty good judging from ur grip right there

+1 but how are you going to sweep pick like that you idiot. Im just kidding looks good, nothing wrong, maybe ask your band mate what he does if you want to change it
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Have you thought about the position of your guitar? I mean you could strap it higher and see if that improves it. If you wear it lower you may push it with your leg. Guitar playing is like surgery - a mm the wrong way can kill the patient. We all have to learn that. If you are better sitting down - sit down. Who cares at this stage?

By the way you have big hands and that'll come in handy if you want to pull the strings about later ...
Stop showing off and play the music!
Okay thanks, it's not something I'm particularly worried about to be honest, it's just I'm always looking for ways of improving, from improvisation to simple chord changes.

I do tend to hold down the strings quite hard as I find the hurt quite a lot after a song. I'll try improving my grip so that I don't have to push down so hard.

Thanks for the feedback!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.