I've been playing for a bit over a year now and am looking for a guitar to replace my crappy Epi G310. I mainly listen to and play classic rock and blues. I need something that sounds good through my Valve Junior.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
get the gibson sg faded and with the left over money buy a better amp, to have a great tone u need a good amp and a good guitar.
If you want a Strat... I'd try and save up for/get a good deal on a Deluxe American Strat... Fender of course.
the new 08 american standard
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
used american standard HSS strat, or a new highway one hss strat. american standard is noticably better though
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
How different is the American to the Mexican? The Americans here are all like 1500-2000 dollars.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Get an american one, you should have some money left, with that you can just trade in your sg and put the money in and get a g-400 ever better
Quote by kckyle
get the gibson sg faded and with the left over money buy a better amp, to have a great tone u need a good amp and a good guitar.

IMO, if one is playing at home it doesn't get that much better than an Epi VJ for classic rock. Although, I've never tried an Orange TT.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
IMO, if one is playing at home it doesn't get that much better than an Epi VJ for classic rock. Although, I've never tried an Orange TT.

dosent matter if is home or a gig. u still want the best tone u can get for the price. is the volume of the amp and the shinniness of the guitar that counts if you are gigging or just playing at home
Quote by kckyle
dosent matter if is home or a gig. u still want the best tone u can get for the price. is the volume of the amp and the shinniness of the guitar that counts if you are gigging or just playing at home

Personally, I'm using my VJ forever, and if I'm in a band, I'm going to just buy a PA and mic up, but each to his own
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
if u got a grand get a les paul studio

Which really wouldn't sound a thing like a Strat no matter what you do with it. I'm not saying it's not good to look around but this is the answer to a question that wasn't really asked.

As for the original question, my two cents are: if someone is thinking of burning $1000 on a Strat then they should consider getting a good American Standard and they'll likely have a guitar good enough to last the rest of their life.
Fender American Highway one mind you in aus they for for like 1700 its a rip off over here

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by kckyle

+10 to that
Hello
Could always build one yourself exactly the way you want it. Depending on what you get it could actually be a bit cheaper.