Hi there, im new here to the forums and i was wondering how you guys use your practice time? Also i was wondering if you guys take lessons. The thing is, i have been playing guitar for about a year now, i would play here and there, but i never saw my self progressing so i sorta stopped.

however, for the past 4 months, ive gotten into it again and i usually put in about an hour a day, sometimes more. the thing is i really cant see my self progressing. I would play some licks and riffs form different songs. Im interested in stuff like malmsteen and satrani, however i cannot play any of their songs. i practice so much but i still dont feel as if im getting better. i was wondering if this is normal and if you guys experienced this.

I have also taken lessons but i dont think they are helping me one bit. I go to a place called Arcadia Academy of Music, (u might have heard of it) and i dont see any betterment in my playing.

Is this because i am setting my sights too high, trying to play malmsteen and satriani? If so, can you guys give me some suggestions on what i should be trying at my level? If you take lessons, how are they and where do you go? Anything helps, Thank you so much!
If this makes any difference, i play a squier fat strat HSS lol. could that be holding me back somehow?
Yeah i have experienced that.

One day when your playing, It will "click" and you will feel your self progressing and it gets better and better. just keep at it man!

Good luck.

EDIT: Start off easy, work your way up.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
hey, thanks for the reply, how long have you been playing? Have you taken any formal lessons or are u self taught?
Play things you enjoy playing and try and find inspiration so you can play for longer periods of time. I i practice 5 hours each week night after work and 12 hours both saturday and sunday but only cuz i enjoy it! And i dont focus on my progression but rather focus on have a good time if you can learn to like playing heaps then there is the answer to how to improve! As you go along, say a month or two goes by and given that you havent primarily focused on your improvement you will suddenly notice that something you couldnt do is a hell of alot eaiser now!

Good luck dude
Quote by First_fret
hey, thanks for the reply, how long have you been playing? Have you taken any formal lessons or are u self taught?

2-3 years or something, I forget, lol.

I have lessons at school, but they're not world class, I'm getting lessons at a school of music soon though.

I'm mostly self taught.

Just don't give up, It's worth the practice.

Also, learn your chords, I didn't at first, but it helped when I got an equal balance of chords and riffs.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
You told us the problem -- you are measuring against the best. You are probably making the same mistakes over and over again because practise doesn't make perfect - only correct practise makes perfect. If you can strum the basic chords you can play a million songs. Can you do that? If not watch this video - because once you have this you are well over half way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcmb4RplClQ&feature=related
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
Yeah i have experienced that.

One day when your playing, It will "click" and you will feel your self progressing and it gets better and better. just keep at it man!

Good luck.

EDIT: Start off easy, work your way up.

I agree. I've been playing about 6 months, and I just try to learn songs for fun.

And then sometimes, when you find yourself being able to play a part, it does just click and you know that you've progressed.

And jamming with friends is a good way to keep your inspiration and enjoyment levels high.
Take it easy on the Satriani stuff.

If you really like their material, find some easier songs, or just start from the easiest of easy songs.

IE Smoke on the water; the solo is very fun but takes a while to learn for a first-timer, but it well equips you for what you're gonna do later. I'd just go for easier things now and worry about the hard stuff later while you can learn things on the way.
I´d bet that Malmsteen and Satriani wouldn´t have played their songs properly after a one year of playing so take it easy on those songs

That said, my advice is that you should probably learn whole songs that are both fun and easy to play (for example, even though I´m mostly a metal fan, I think that many Alice in Chains and Foo Fighters songs are fairly easy and good songs). I mean, you´ll feel better and more confident about your playing when you actually can play something note-for-note even if it only has 3 chords. And when you have a positive mindset, you can try playing some faster exercises, etudes etc. Believe me, I find Jason Becker´s Serrana much easier to play when I don´t approach it with an "I suck" attitude. And remember to warm up properly!

Every guitar player gets stuck in rut once in a while so don´t worry about it too much. Sometimes doing something completely else for an hour helps. And when you are practising, concentrate properly on the playing (duh). Try to make those scale exercises sound like living and breathing music, not just a bunch of...well, scales

Hope this helps (and makes sense)!
Aye, Pick out a song that ya like and try to learn the WHOLE song before passing on to another!
I did the same mistake after i had played for a year, so i knew like 10 half metallica songs ^^...
Now i've started to learn the whole songs when i like one, thats the best way that works for me!

And i try to practice like 5 hours a day, becouse i frikkin love to play guitar, but i guess its a taste thing ;P
Try picking a challenging song to you, like Hanger 18, and practice it day after day. If you challenge yourself and succeed, not only will you improve, but you will be motivated. Not to mention have a cool song to show off.
I've been playing for about 5 years, and I start off with practicing my speed with arpeggios, and then I spend several hours composing and writing songs trying to find out which words and syllabels go best with each riff I make, and I also try to invent solo techniques.
Once in a while I try to improve on other people's songs that I learned, but I usually only play those when other people are listening because just learning other people's work is boring once you knowit. I only learn other guitarist's music just so I can study how songwriting works and all about their techniques.
O yeah, and I'm completely self taught, like many famous guitarists.
Last edited by shadowtiger at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by furph
I i practice 5 hours each week night after work and 12 hours both saturday and sunday but only cuz i enjoy it!

You sir, have a ridiculouse amount of time to practice! I envy you!

EDIT:

On topic though, Satriani and Malmsteen are not the best thing for beginners. It's liketrying to run before you can crawl. Take it in small easy steps, learn some easier stuff first, there's lots out there that is easy to play but still sounds ace when you can do it!

As mentioned before, things just randomly click after a while. It's an awesome feeling when it does!

Finally, I've been playing for 4 years now, and am completely self taught. I would like to do lessons now to learn the theory behind music and to learn some new techniques and give me real direction with my guitaring and allow me to become a better writer / improvisor.
Last edited by saphrax at Jan 28, 2008,
Yeah, everybody goes through a guitarists patch where they don't feel like they're progressing at all but you are. You just don't realise it sometimes. Lessons are useful seeing as teachers can show you techniques and playing styles.
There was a point when I was really de-motivated to play because I didn't think I was getting any where but then I noticed a change and haven't looked back yet. .
Keep it up man, you won't regret it.
I've been playing for about a year too, try to learn simpler songs that you like, as well as song that are just that little bit out of your ability, and keep practising 'til you get it perfect.
I try to find a time to play the guitar whenever I'm free, I love to play it so much, just really started 2months ago, got myself a mentor to learn the theory and what's needed to be a guitarist, can't self-taught cuz I phailed at it.

Learnt the Good Riddance in a week after a month of having the finger in pain/blister/cuts blah whatever you called it.

Now trying to learn Linkin Park - Numb, trying to figuring out the strumming pattern! DAM! I SUX AT IT! Mostly watching youtube sitting infront of computer whole day after work with a guitar on my hand practising(playing) haha (probably 3 hrs a day on workday, and 3 - 6hrs a day on offday), even if I'm able to play a part of the song, I'm so happy!

Set myself a target to be able to play few songs that I liked, but it's still too hard for me right now. That's where my motivation is, I know I'll be able to play it someday.
If you cant see yoir progression, heres THE thing. Record short videos of you playing of about 3 to 5 minutes every 2 weeks of the best you can do, then, one month later, or when youre discouraged, watch them. you'll be surprised how better you are.
I hit the same wall at 18 had been playing for a year new basic riffs and intros to a butload of songs but nothuing but polly all the way through. I quit playing guitar for bout 10 years bought a taylor and got confidence learned barre chords and now can play most rythm guitar parts from chord tabs. It is all about repetitive motion and muscle memory but as said b4 you have to practice right, play sloooowwwwww but in rhythm then speed it up only after your accuracy improves. I know this is hard with hammerons and pull offs but long story short dont loose ten years of practice and growing in your playing becuase of discouragement like i did if i had just stuck with it a couple more months twelve years ago i would be so much better today and now i can play good enough that it teases me to learn more and that is a good place to be.
I remember when I first got my guitar, I was kind of confused on what to do. So I watched some random video where a guy did the smoke on the water riff. After playing that riff, getting lessons, and practicing the song, I really saw improvement. Now that I think of it, the verse was pretty difficult when I first learned it but today it seemed so boring because it's so easy >.> I've been playing for about 6-7 months. Someone mentioned before about the warming up thing. It really helps. Learn a scale called the pentatonic scale. Ex.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cJPh6nlm28) (If you haven't already) playing on all 12 frets but try to keep the same rhythm and continuity.After practicing this scale, jam with it. Learn the notes you're jamming with and just work from there. I think the best part of playing guitar is learning new scales and such to jam with and jamming with others and just alone. And if you can, get a drum beat from an amp, pedal, or just some other source.
Picked up my first guitar five-ish years ago but haven't really gotten serious until recently. I've been playing video games less on my free time in college and playing more guitar, this past week 4+ hours a day and growing. Just today i've spent nearly the whole day learning sweeping Thunderhorse by Dethklok. Such repetitive playing over and over and over again has proven to be a success as I've seen improvement.
Quote by Exaiphnes
Picked up my first guitar five-ish years ago but haven't really gotten serious until recently. I've been playing video games less on my free time in college and playing more guitar, this past week 4+ hours a day and growing. Just today i've spent nearly the whole day learning sweeping Thunderhorse by Dethklok. Such repetitive playing over and over and over again has proven to be a success as I've seen improvement.

Awesome stuff mate!! No **** u are gonna get real good, real quick. Good luck with it and keep enjoyin it
Quote by DanielQ
Play with music, then play with friends. Nothing beats jamming out with friends.

+1
This might not help, but if you're in to Nirvana and stuff, learn Smells Like Teen Spirit. IT'll help you with muting, power chords and a bit of soloing.
Quote by mafropetee

I brought my electric to school w/ no amp and started playing it, and some guy was like "I can barely hear it, and it doesn't sound all cool. I think it's a fake guitar"

g e a r//
Epi Futura Prophecy FX
Epi G-400
Boss DS-1
Vox AD15VT
Get the paul gilbert and John Petrucci dvds.They will help alot.also practice with a metronome it is the key to improving.
The first question I would ask is what aspect of your playing is dissappointing you? I think it important for a guitarists to know what their weaknesses are. Once you find your biggest problem, find lessons that work on it specifically. I wouldn't work on problem areas exclusively, but I would make it part of you daily routine, until you are satified with your progress. Then you move on to the next most troublesome area. This kind of targeted practice yields results, it just takes time.