i just got the hd channels but they are only displayed at 480p. is this considered HD?
or i should i be able to get at least 720p? i jsut got the comcast hd channels and i dont know if im getting ripped off or what but 480p just made the image look a little nicer but not by alot

my tv should be able to handle 1080p

anybody in the same situation as me? any advice suggestions,experiences

any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
you should get up to either 720p or 1080i (forget which) with comcast, I get 1080i i think. you can change the settings on the HD box somehow, I think like hold menu and hit power or something to get to a special menu, I'll see if i can look it up.

Also, not all channels are in hd now that u have hd comcaast, only specific hd digital channels. ie, Discovery HD is 218, regular is 43.

EDIT: to get the settings menu, turn off the cable box, and hit the menu button on the box. A white screen with black text will come up, you can change settings there. Also, what I was saying about regular channels, the non-HD channels are probably in 480p so that might be what you're looking at.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Last edited by ironman45 at Jan 27, 2008,
1080i and 720p are essentially the same thing *in terms of resolution

currently there aren't any hd channels which offer a 1080p stream, but its great that you got one because it'll only be a matter of time. otherwise for now you can watch blu-ray, hd-dvd, or a game system capable of 1080p
Last edited by Guitar Eater at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by Guitar Eater
1080i and 720p are essentially the same thing.

No they aren't. The difference between i and p is how the picture refreshes (interlaced v. progressive). But 1080i still has more lines of resolution than 720.

480 is standard resolution. It's not hi-definition. Also, do you have a digital cable box or a hi-def box? I get a few hi-def channels just through my coaxial cable with no box.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jan 27, 2008,
Oh, you meant as far as cable goes.

You're right, from my observation. It also depends on the quality of the source. For example, watching sports on networks in hi-def can be disappointing because NBC, Fox, and CBS have poor hi-def sources, although Fox seems to be a bit better with football than NBC.
Hi, I'm Peter
granted you'd be hard pressed to find a difference between 720p and 1080p unless you're at extremely close viewing distances, however there is so small of a difference between 720p and 1080i it's pretty much negligable.
you should get up to either 720p or 1080i (forget which) with comcast, I get 1080i i think. you can change the settings on the HD box somehow, I think like hold menu and hit power or something to get to a special menu, I'll see if i can look it up.

Also, not all channels are in hd now that u have hd comcaast, only specific hd digital channels. ie, Discovery HD is 218, regular is 43.

EDIT: to get the settings menu, turn off the cable box, and hit the menu button on the box. A white screen with black text will come up, you can change settings there. Also, what I was saying about regular channels, the non-HD channels are probably in 480p so that might be what you're looking at.

thanks for advice that was it i managed to get the screen at 1080i it looks a little better than 480p.

but im still a little meh about the hd. until i get a ps3 i dont think i can squeeze full pontential of tv

thanks for advice guys
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash