Hi guys. Was quite som time since I was on here, but here goes.

Im currently deciding on my new bass, and I have been looking two six-strings.

The peavey grind;
http://www.thomann.de/se/peavey_grind_bass_ntb6.htm

The esp B six, with spalted maple top, it's totally sexy
http://www.thomann.de/se/espltd_b206.htm

The Peavey specs seem fine, but the price makes me a tad suspicious, as companies don't tend to just pull prices out of their asses.
Also, I've heard people saying that it's heavy to play hand wise.

The ESP however. I tend to think that they're overpriced, but this one looks reasonably tagged (with an ash body, that's a plus) and it looks darn sexy with that spalted maple.
However, the bridge seems the same as the one on my bass, which is a tad dodgy, with the screws re-adjusting themselves when I play.
Also, the playability on my b-155 is ok, but it could be better.

I really dunno, need second opinions.
Maruszczyk Jake X Redburst
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl
Ashdown MAG300H + Ashdown 1x15 (Eminence Delta 15)

Believing Carlos!
Anyone else, with more specific comments?
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
+1 to the Grind, I normally don't play sixes, but the other day I was at GC and picked one up to mess around, and I loved it, great price too almost bought it on the spot but I really want a fiver not a six because I don't need that sixth string.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Ok, sounds nice. It's a pity noone deals in the Grinds here in Sweden, so I'm rather unsure whether to buy it or not. Pig in the sack u know?

EDIT: No comments on the ESP?
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Jan 27, 2008,
I am thinking abou a 6 streing grind or an 8 string myself!

Te 8-string is some $200 rouge though...so im iffy. (Rouge...ew)
Quote by benttwig33
I am thinking abou a 6 streing grind or an 8 string myself!

Te 8-string is some $200 rouge though...so im iffy. (Rouge...ew)

Yeah, The Rogues aren't supposed to be the instruments with the best of reputations

Still, no comments on the ESP
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
I think it's laughable how some people post here about what 6 string bass THEY want to get instead of helping the TS.

I've heard mixed things about the Grind, mainly that it's pretty good for the price, but the sound is a bit on the thin side. Peaveys are generally a good bang for your buck, though.

ESPs on the other hand tend to be fairly overpriced and shoddy unless you get to their x-400+ models
Quote by Charlatan_001
I think it's laughable how some people post here about what 6 string bass THEY want to get instead of helping the TS.

I've heard mixed things about the Grind, mainly that it's pretty good for the price, but the sound is a bit on the thin side. Peaveys are generally a good bang for your buck, though.

ESPs on the other hand tend to be fairly overpriced and shoddy unless you get to their x-400+ models

Yeah, but the overpricing is often due to the lack of tonewood in their lower series, but seeing as this bass has Ash and a Spalted Maple top, it makes me pretty interested.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
I don't really know about ESP's bridges and electronics, but you could get an Ibanez SR506 with Bartolini hardware for just $100 more.
Quote by Charlatan_001
I don't really know about ESP's bridges and electronics, but you could get an Ibanez SR506 with Bartolini hardware for just $100 more.

Hm. Yeah, so it seems. Also, they've got a SR505 at a local store in the city where I go to school, so I guess I could go play it. It's just that I thought they were like $1,4k or so? I dunno, but the tag in the store said 9000skr, which is 1400 USD.

EDIT: Checking the price of the SR506, it's 9,800skr, which is 1500 USD, way out of my budget I'm afraid.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by Charlatan_001

How bout that. Man, I love Sweden, overpricing is the thing here.
So, the next time I'll go to a store in Sweden it'll be to set up my gear.
I'll check these babies out, chances are that if I like the SR505, I'll buy the 506.

Still, more comments on the ESP, pros and cons.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
I cant really say Ive tried the ESP but the Peavy is worth the money.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by neo_evil
yamaha :P

Nah, no Yamaha, unless the JM2.

EDIT: Still, give me opinions on the ESP.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
Last edited by Lilldjuret at Jan 28, 2008,
i have a peavey grind 5 string bass, and im constantly finding out new tones i can get out of it. it feels wonderful, sounds really great. for slapping, the sound is incredible. and im not going to comment on the 6 string idea, because thats up to you, and it just means more notes and more musical opportunities at your disposal. however the grind is my first proper electric bass, so im probably going to be biased.
i need to get a better signature.
The SR506 is a real nice guitar

thee was one in the music store I frequent for about £600

I dossed on it, 6 stringers dont suit me (hands cant cope) but damn it was a nice bass

sounded good, felt nice, really comfortable to play and gorgeous

Peaveys tend to be great for the price, so the Grind could be good

I know nout about the ESP though,sorry

If I were you, it'd be the Ibanez all the way though
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Seems I'm gonna go with the Ibanez. I tried it out, and it was really sexy, and as it had those sweet bartolinis on it, I thought it was probably worth the extra money.

Thanks everyone.
Woodo B5x Aboyna Burl

Believing Carlos!
I've had the ESP for a while now and its got great playability although the tone is pretty average. To me the feel of the bass has never been high quality but for the price you can't really complain, especially when it looks so damn good. The bridge has been a bit of a problem for me too, the intonation on the low B is terrible despite repeatedly fixing it. Its not my main bass but its a great back up.
Jesus is my airbag
Quote by mr barbecue
To me the feel of the bass has never been high quality but for the price you can't really complain, especially when it looks so damn good. The bridge has been a bit of a problem for me too, the intonation on the low B is terrible despite repeatedly fixing it. Its not my main bass but its a great back up.

Great backup? Doesn't sound like it.