I was wondering if there is such thing as Music Philosophy. I am really interested to see if there is and if there are any good books on it.

Thanks.
"My strength is my determination" - Randy Rhoads (1956-1982)

Quote by LedZeppelin
Life is not an isolated moment, so don't live it as such.

Quote by bendystraw
art rock? isn't all rock art?
The term is psychoacoustics, I think. Basically, how the mind percieves music. Why a natural minor sounds sad while major sounds happy, and why dominant chords want to resolve to their tonics.
yes. Music, afterall, was one of the main things behind the Pythagoreans and their philosophy/rein of power. Don't know any books, but I'm pretty sure google/wikipedia would help you out there. It's probably a subcategory of aesthetics or something nowadays.
A book on music therapy may interest you.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
There are plenty of philosophy of art classes at my school, including at least one specifically on music. I'm pretty sure they aren't at all the same as the "why does minor sound sad" and such though...if that's what you're looking for. I haven't taken the class so I can't give you specifics, but I'd assume it deals with more philosophical rather than psychological questions (e.g. questions of originality/plagiarism in art).
Quote by seljer
I own that, though I have yet to read it.

For those who don't know, Oliver Sacks is a brilliant Neurologist, but he also likes music.
i have pondered over studying music therapy (or philosophy as you dub it) in the past
it's quite interesting, and leads you into the minimal harmonies (ones you can't hear, cuz the difference is below 10 hertz) .. and well, all sounded very interesting..

google helps yo uout on this one:
http://books.google.com/books?q=music+therapy&btnG=Boeken+zoeken&hl=nl

now, your brain on music (wasn't that a very known book on the subject, if tis, it's bound to be somewhere here: http://books.google.com/books?hl=nl&q=brain+on+music&btnG=Boeken+zoeken )

n you can try every other query ofcourse.. life´s so simple these days
so i'll leave the searching up to you, or maybe i'm even to lazy to click my own links, who knows
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Funkicker
i have pondered over studying music therapy (or philosophy as you dub it) in the past
it's quite interesting, and leads you into the minimal harmonies (ones you can't hear, cuz the difference is below 10 hertz) .. and well, all sounded very interesting..

Just a bone to pick here, we can hear below 10hz I think, on that online ear test thing I managed to differentiate 2 notes at 0.5hz, 0.125hz was past me Admitadly a harmony at this level would be quite limited though

I actually know a music therapist, never asked her to try it on me though but she claims that it can really relax and help with various problems. I think it would be an interesting career choice, I dunno how much it would pay though? Dutch im looking at you for an answer to this one?
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by Peanut1614
Just a bone to pick here, we can hear below 10hz I think, on that online ear test thing I managed to differentiate 2 notes at 0.5hz, 0.125hz was past me Admitadly a harmony at this level would be quite limited though

The smallest difference between notes that somebody could discern would probably have to do with what pitch the notes are. If you're hearing an A 440, and then that same pitch, but up 10 hz, it would be a lot easier to tell the difference than if you were hearing an A 3 octaves higher (3520 hz, according to my calculations) and they increased it by the same number.

But since I don't know in what range they were talking about regarding their 10 hz, or you with your 0.5, I can't really speculate any further.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Also an important fact are computer speakers don't always play sounds accurately(unless your speakers and soundcard is fairly good), and younger people have a better hearing then older people(if the 10hz is an average).
Wait, I'm lost now... Are we talking about the difference between the notes' frequencies being below 10 hz, or the frequency of a given note being below 10 hz?
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112