I started playing at church the other day. I connected my electric guitar to some sound system they control at the back. People said they could hear me playing fine, but I couldnt hear what I was playing due to the drums and piano. I was wondering if there is anything I could get, to be able to hear myself, like some headphones or something that splits the sound to the speakers and headphones at the same time. I dont really know much about this sort of electrical stuff.
You need a monitor. Or if you use an amp direct it so yo ucan hear yourself.
sigh...
yeah at my church the have everything hooked up to the main speakers, but all the instruments have their own little amp facing towards them
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Yeah i think we have those monitors on stage but i still couldnt hear it. Ill try pointing it towards me next time. Still im still curios if theres anything i could get to get a clear sound of my playing. Ive seen guitar players using headphones while playing live, i dont know if they actually used them to hear themselves playing or not.
Quote by sando015
Yeah i think we have those monitors on stage but i still couldnt hear it. Ill try pointing it towards me next time. Still im still curios if theres anything i could get to get a clear sound of my playing. Ive seen guitar players using headphones while playing live, i dont know if they actually used them to hear themselves playing or not.

On stage some guitarists wear them so they can get the balance of sound that they want. You have to remember that a band member doesn't want to hear what the audience does - he wants to hear what he is doing. So a bass player will hear his music with the bass at the forefront of the music - not what the audience hears. Was a big fashion in the 70's before foot monitor came in. They also protect your ears because the db levels can be quite high.

If the church has a PA - there maybe a way of attaching a second (foot) monitor just for your benefit. If you wanted a cheap way of working (that would work come what may) would be to get an ultra cheap portable practise amp and mic from the speaker or from an audience position. This is the only solution if you wanted to, for example, hear a choir better while playing - or anything that isn't electronic by nature.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by sando015
Yeah i think we have those monitors on stage but i still couldnt hear it. Ill try pointing it towards me next time.

If you still can't hear yourself then, just ask the guy doing the PA to turn it up.