i just got a fender highway 1 for christmas and i really like it and such but its got a cruddy sound to it in that when i just play a drop B open like:
------
------
------
------
0~--
0~--
it sounds very out of tune and dissonant even tho the strings are tuned correctly. a friend said its probably my strings and/or pickups. help a brotha out what should i do?
Er, you tuned the low e to a b?

Jesus, what happened to real music?

Anyway, if you're tuning that low you'll need really heavy strings.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
make sure you opnly have like 2 springs in a / \
pattern in the trem system

it should help
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Yeah you're gonna need something like 11's for drop B, but remember to get the truss rod adjusted
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah you're gonna need something like 11's for drop B, but remember to get the truss rod adjusted

If you go up in guage, but down in tuning, there's a good chance the tension will be roughly the same; so you might not need to adjust the trussrod.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Personally I don't think a Fender Strat is meant for drop B, really. But yeah, heavier string gauge.

I happen to keep my Strat in B standard as a baritone and it works fine.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
yeah a friend actually came over and told me to get some heavier strings. and i do agree that fender strats aren't really made for drop B but what can i say my parents got it for me for x-mas as a surprise. i mean the only stuff i listen to is like low tuned hardcore and stuff so thats what i play once i get money ill be able to upgrade my gear to something more appropriate. thx for the help tho