How do I get a synth sound like in http://youtube.com/watch?v=C5V5g0kdWqs thanks in advance guys.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
For as long as I could watch I could only hear chorus. Sorry, but I can't stand emo/screamo music.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Dude y did you even respond then? Not trying to be mean or anything and its after a little bit there's a techno part where the bass and guitar are playing it how do they get that sound?
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

yeah I couldnt hear any synth either, but if you want a synth sound I believe digitech and boss make bass synth pedals.
A T-bird and a Big Muff in your GAS list!? Egad man, are you trying to kill me!?
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Line6 LD150Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
There were a couple of completely different synth sounds going on in that brief section that featured them.

Regardless, unless you buy an Akai deep impact or korg G5 processor on ebay for stupid amounts of money, then the only way to replicate them is to buy a synthesizer, sorry.

You might get vaguely near with an EH bass microsynth, but I know from experience that it could only really do the percussive bass synth part, and then not very well IMO.

Edit: The boss Syb-5 could possibly do it, but the thing tracks so badly that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone really. Try it and see if you like it.

Also for anyone else, the synth section begins at 1:22 and lasts about 15 seconds.
Last edited by Jateca at Jan 27, 2008,
Quote by pagiatis
Sorry, but I can't stand emo/screamo music.

Same.

But yeah, as above said, they make synth pedals, but that didn't sound like a full fledge synth. Maybe just more treble? I'm not sure.
^Thank you and I take it you've attempted to copy those sounds too?
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

i have a boss syb-5, which sounds pretty good. the tracking can get a little wonky sometimes, but it makes simple parts sound funky and good, so it's no big deal.

i got it for $60 on ebay, but there are more expensive ones by roland that probably track much better and sound better but will cost $500 or so.
Quote by PunkRocker33133
^Thank you and I take it you've attempted to copy those sounds too?

If that was to me, then yes. I quite like industrial type sounds (NiN, Rammstein, ministry etc.) so bass synth is something that I really want to get right one of these days.

Another potential way is to use a midi bass/guitar setup, which is even more expensive. You'd need a pickup like the roland GK-3b and a processor like the one made by roland or axon, plus some kind of synth or sound module to be driven by it. Overall a pretty pricey package.
OK, so I take it for a guy in high school with no job to speak of who just moved and who's parents are in the middle of a divorce this is not happening for a while
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

Quote by PunkRocker33133
OK, so I take it for a guy in high school with no job to speak of who just moved and who's parents are in the middle of a divorce this is not happening for a while

Well, for those specific sounds I'd say probably not, but it's worth giving the various pedals like the boss and the digitech synth wah a go to see if there's anything you'd like from them.

Also, you can get some very cool sounds from a combination of a bass fuzz pedal and an envelope follower of some kind. That's basically what the EHX bass microsynth does, with a few other features thrown in.

You could also look at an inexpensive synthesizer, like the Korg Microkorg.

Good luck finding your sounds
Thank you very much Jateca, and everyone else who helped and I'll look at the synth pedals until I can afford better.
Quote by thefitz

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

AFI is hardly screamo - they were punk/hardcore punk and then they turned towards a more emo phase with their latest album.

Synth pedals will almost definitely not get you the synth sounds in Death of Seasons, but they're still fun to play with. I don't recommend any synth pedal but the EHX MicroSynth or (if you're lucky and have a lot of cash to burn) an Akai Deep Impact.

You'll definitely need something like a Korg MicroKorg or Alesis Micron AT LEAST to get decent synth sounds and beats.

I'm looking into investing in one, but even a MicroKorg - the "affordable" one - is like $400 or $500.
I'm fairly certain that Hunter doesn't use effects on his bass. I can't hear the link you posted (no sound on this computer) but on the studio track and the three times I've seen them play Death of Seasons the effects were played in addition to his playing. If that was confusing, I'll rephrase it. Though Hunter is playing at that time, there are also effects being played through the PA.

And please, people. Moog. /thread
Oh, without a doubt. They are ridiculously expensive. But I didn't see a price range, so figured that I would name-drop the big bad Moog.
Maybe just get a synthesizer? you know the keyboard kind.
It will have MUCH MUCH more to do on it than one synth pedal.
[img]http://www.fan2band.com/DynamicImages/97465_906_49_1997.gif[/img]
Quote by Charlatan_001
I'm looking into investing in one, but even a MicroKorg - the "affordable" one - is like $400 or $500.

You can get MicroKorgs for £100 ($200) on Ebay here.