ok i know this is long but i want to give you guys an accurate description of where i am..

so i have been playing for about 7 or 8 ish years maybe 9 but i cant remember. i am 17 years old. and for the 8 years ive been playing i suck. i play like its been 3 or 4 years probably idk. i know this is mostly because i am lazy and never practice but i have recently found new motivation and im going to dedicate a hell of a lot of time to playing guitar. another reason i probably suck is because my old guitar teacher never taught me scales or anything like that we basiclly went through mel bays easy way to guitar a and started just tabbing out parts of songs during sessions. i know all of the barre chords and power chords and all that and the open chords. i know a bunch of intros and stuff from when tabbed songs with my guitar teacher so id say im a decent rythym guitarist. i can play rythym great but id like to be a lead guitarist. when i said i was lazy i meant that and i have a short attention spam so i know like one or two songs all the way through and the solos are dead simple. the one i can think of right now is living after midnight. ive recently been working on the first solo to beyond the realms of death and its taken me a while to get the first measure up to speed and after that i can basically play it all(not that ive finished learning it yet due to my attention span but im working on it) i can just barely get that first measure up to speed and its not very clean. i can also play the intro to scarified but ts not up to full speed yet and ive been playing it for a while. its like i can play things and i can play them good its just i need to get my fingers moving faster and cleaner for leads basically. im not even entirely sure.

i hope thats enough to describe my skill level/situation so here is my queston to you all is how can i get back on track and what do i need to practice and all that?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

if ur lazy ur never going to be a good guitar player
ever
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
My music teacher often said "If you can play scales, you can play anything." This was in a school band, so he was implying it to every instrument, and it's true. Learn the scales, play them till you can absolutely shred them, and some music theory never hurts.

Also, pick out some songs you like that are complicated. Learn them slowly, then get progressively faster.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975
ok well i got the gig bag book of scales for all guitarists for christmas and it has 180 scales in it. which ones do i learn? just like go through the book from the first scale? also i think learning scales will help alot but i think its not all just practice scales right?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
dude

get a book that teaches you which oens to learn and how to APPLY them...not a whole glossary of them
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
ohh.. i understand you.. that's happenin to me too.. you just have to practice.. like i do!
now i can do solos and all of that stuff.. you'll be a great lead guitar soon if you practice! but don't forget the theory... (sorry if a wrote something bad.. i'm spanish.. soo..)
Start of with the pentatonics and learn all of the modes. Maybe throw in some major scales. Then begin writing solos from them. It takes practice, because I at first had problems applying scales. Just listen to other guitarists (like Dave Gilmour or any other great lead guitarists) and how they use scales. Scales mean nothing if you don't know how to use them. So stick with the pentatonics to begin with. Maybe dabble with arpeggios a little bit.

Also, keep playing chords. Try to switch between them as fast as possible.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975