Poll: Pick one...
Poll Options
View poll results: Pick one...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop
14 58%
Ibanez S470DXQM
10 42%
Voters: 24.
So I have narrowed my choice down to two guitars, similar price, and I am looking for info on the quality of both, and which I might be better chosing.

or
Ibanez S470DXQM

Basically I am going for a good solid rock tone, but still be able to do alot of blues. I throw the Ibanez in there because I like to play some Vai/Satch, and because I have heard good things about the trem. Is it hard to set up/ keep in tune? Bear in mind I have no double locking trem experience.

My strat handles all my single coil wants, so I need something with humbuckers. If anyone has any other suggestion around the $700 CAN range, let me know!!

Hawk
Quote by hawk5211
So I have narrowed my choice down to two guitars, similar price, and I am looking for info on the quality of both, and which I might be better chosing.

or
Ibanez S470DXQM

Basically I am going for a good solid rock tone, but still be able to do alot of blues. I throw the Ibanez in there because I like to play some Vai/Satch, and because I have heard good things about the trem. Is it hard to set up/ keep in tune? Bear in mind I have no double locking trem experience.

My strat handles all my single coil wants, so I need something with humbuckers. If anyone has any other suggestion around the $700 CAN range, let me know!!

Hawk

S470 is an excellent guitar.

Getting to grips with any FR system can be a bit tricky, but Ibanez supply a nice manual and there are plenty of tutorials online.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I think the idea behind Ibanez's locking tremelo is that it won't go out of tune. Hence why Vai or Satch don't end up with horrendously out-of-tune guitars with what they do. Fender don't use locking tremelos for example, and so nearly any amount of tremelo use tends to put it out of tune.
Quote by NovaLau
i almost had a threesome..i just needed 2 more people
Quote by Bonsaischaap
S470 is an excellent guitar.

Getting to grips with any FR system can be a bit tricky, but Ibanez supply a nice manual and there are plenty of tutorials online.

More importantly, does the ZR stay in tune better than an edge III? I really want to avoid getting a guitar with a crappy trem...hence I avoided the low end RG's.
Les Paul, it fits what you're looking for better. And the Trem is a pain to deal with IMO, but its up to you when dealing with the Tremolos, its hard to tune, but once its tuned, you're good for a while. But if you change tunings frequently, (E standard-Drop D, etc.) the trem is gonna be a pain in the ass.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Les Paul, it fits what you're looking for better. And the Trem is a pain to deal with IMO, but its up to you when dealing with the Tremolos, its hard to tune, but once its tuned, you're good for a while. But if you change tunings frequently, (E standard-Drop D, etc.) the trem is gonna be a pain in the ass.

+1,000

The Ibanez cannot play blues, and is more aimed at metal than rock.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
after about a month or so you should be able to change tuning on the trem easily, and if you take some time reading up on it, you will know exactly what to do mod wise to have it in and out of super low ot super high tunings

theyre actually easier than people make them out to be

and definatley go wiht the ibanez, i can get any tone rock, blues, metal out of mine

it all depends on your effects
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Quote by MakeItWitChu

that was my thinking, as I like the ability to grab the guitar out of the case right away and play, like my strat. That was more why I was leaning towards the LP. I thought of a hardtail RG, but all the ones I played had really awkward necks.
Quote by hawk5211
More importantly, does the ZR stay in tune better than an edge III? I really want to avoid getting a guitar with a crappy trem...hence I avoided the low end RG's.

It will.

The ZR is of much better quality than the Edge III.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
personally I think it's a no brainer, get the Ibanez for sure,

I really like that company, while they have some lower end crap models (as just about any company does) but they also have some great medium/higher level models for great prices, and they have it dialed in, its no longer the case where japanese made is going to mean that it is second hand in quality (consider the gretches made in japan...), unless of course you aim for a starter or lower model....

I own an S1625 (there's a picture of it on my profile page) and it is my favorite guitar hands down, not only from what I own but compared to anything I have ever played, based on feel, quality, looks, and also the fact that I was able to get the exact tone/sound I was looking for, I play indie/jazz/alt/classic rock. I threw a seymour duncan jazzbucker in the bridge, not because the stock ones were bad I was just looking for a specific sound, and I may throw one in the neck,

the wizard neck is awesome and the thin body is really cool, I havn't had any problems with it, although the FR system can be a bit tedious at times I don't think I would have it any other way

when you buy it try music123.com they challenge prices and beat musiciansfriend.com for me

also if you need to save a little bit more maybe check out some of the other S series, or if you've got the dough to go the other way the prestige ones are pretty sweet,

hope that helps and congrats on your new guitar whichever one it turns out to be