1 8%
MXR-GT-0D
0 0%
Ibanez TS-9
3 23%
Other
3 23%
Voters: 13.
What do you think is the best tube amp gain booster to put in front of an amp that needs a tad bit more of gain?
The maxon.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
none of these can be praised as "The Best".
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
none of these can be praised as "The Best".

well which one would perform well, I take that id doesn't really matter between them all as they are similar things
they'll all perform well. but only one can be the best, and in my books, those pedals are far from being the best.

are you looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal? or a straight volume boost pedal?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
they'll all perform well. but only one can be the best, and in my books, those pedals are far from being the best.

are you looking for an overdrive/distortion pedal? or a straight volume boost pedal?

Gain Booster not volume booster. just need overdrive type to boost tubes and get more gain, Valveking needs more gain for some of the genres I play that range from Drop-A to EADGBE tuning, which is a big range eh?
I've used the TS-9 reissue, Boss SD-1 and Digitech Bad Monkey and owned the Zakk Wylde MXR, and can safely say, the MXR sucks ass.
I like the Bad Monkey the most, personally.
It does colour your tone slightly, but it's a good colouring.
It really does boost it.
And adds a ****load of gain.
Quote by ozzy578
I've used the TS-9 reissue, Boss SD-1 and Digitech Bad Monkey and owned the Zakk Wylde MXR, and can safely say, the MXR sucks ass.
I like the Bad Monkey the most, personally.
It does colour your tone slightly, but it's a good colouring.
It really does boost it.
And adds a ****load of gain.

use to have bad monkey, need step up from that
Quote by xWhitechapelx
Gain Booster not volume booster. just need overdrive type to boost tubes and get more gain, Valveking needs more gain for some of the genres I play that range from Drop-A to EADGBE tuning, which is a big range eh?

lol you seem like you don't get how tube amps and getting gain out of tube amps work...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
lol you seem like you don't get how tube amps and getting gain out of tube amps work...

meh, just need little more gain thats all for a Valveking 112
Ah Bad Monkey wasn't for you?
In that case I'd try out either the 808 or the TS9.
I like the tone of the Bad Monkey personally, but it took me ages to get it to sound right.
I've heard good things about using a TS-9 with a Valveking...actually I hear good things about the TS-9 full stop.
Might hop on ebay myself actually :P
Quote by ozzy578
Ah Bad Monkey wasn't for you?
In that case I'd try out either the 808 or the TS9.
I like the tone of the Bad Monkey personally, but it took me ages to get it to sound right.
I've heard good things about using a TS-9 with a Valveking...actually I hear good things about the TS-9 full stop.
Might hop on ebay myself actually :P

well the Maxon made those pedals for Ibanez, and the OD-808 supposedly has same chip as the original Maxon just different body or something to that nature
Quote by xWhitechapelx
meh, just need little more gain thats all for a Valveking 112

then you should turn the amp up. with more input volume, tubes saturate more. turning down the volume knobs on ur guitar and amp cuts down teh signal going into the tubes, making it less distorted.

so a volume booster is the best to get more natural gain from tube amps. tubescreamers and others IMO messes with the harmonic contents and such and they don't sound as brilliant as they do in front of clean amps.

tubescreamers in front of tube amps aren't that bad tho. some cheaper distortion pedals are worse.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Though I agree with EC that you want a booster, not necessarily added distortion, I kinda dissagree on the messing up the sound of the amp, to an extent. I really don't like the sound of a tubescreamer driving a lower-gain distortion amp into a bit more gain, I agree, it just doesn't sound quite right, however, with something like a high gain amp, I really like what it does in terms of tightening up the sound and adding a bit more definition to the sound of the amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ECistheBest
then you should turn the amp up. with more input volume, tubes saturate more. turning down the volume knobs on ur guitar and amp cuts down teh signal going into the tubes, making it less distorted.

so a volume booster is the best to get more natural gain from tube amps. tubescreamers and others IMO messes with the harmonic contents and such and they don't sound as brilliant as they do in front of clean amps.

tubescreamers in front of tube amps aren't that bad tho. some cheaper distortion pedals are worse.

well, can't turn it up to loud now haha (college apartment)

the OD's would give little gain and grit for lower volumes on the tubes, least that is what I have heard
u can turn up the preamp volume knob and push it more with a volume boost pedal, and turn down the master volume.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard