I need a louder, better amp, to put it bluntly. I have about 300-350 to spend but I can probably scrounge up about 400. I dig Crates and Peaveys, but both are freaking expensive for half-stacks. Can anyone guide my little lost soul to a nice-sounding, but loudenoughtobeheardoverafreakingdrummer amp that won't kill my bank account?

If it matters at all, I play metal.
Quote by Maj. Tom
Your skin will grow tough and you will soon have a mighty pimp hand to smite stupid bitches with.

Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX2 with EMG 81 and EMG 60a
Crate G-40 or something
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.
Last edited by Holocaust Angel at Jan 27, 2008,
That's just a head, right?

What kind of cab should I be looking at?
Quote by Maj. Tom
Your skin will grow tough and you will soon have a mighty pimp hand to smite stupid bitches with.

Gear:
Crate G-40 or something
Quote by Azgirio
Quote by Holocaust Angel
That's just a head, right?

What kind of cab should I be looking at?

bro, you dont have enough for a tube head the valveking head alone starts at(correct me if im wrong)569 for the head it self the valveking combo 112 is 400-450 with taxes and all and you dont need a head and cab bro a combo tube is more then enough tube is 2.5 TIMES louder then a soild state amp so say if the amp is 15 watt tube times that by 2.5 = 37watts if not 40-45 watts of power. the valveking 112 is 50 watts tube so times that by 2.5...you get 125 watts more then enough for a gig my man so trust me all you need is a combo you'll save alot more money like that...or unless you get a used valveking head for 400-500
i think you should stick to the combo
JP
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by Holocaust Angel
I need a louder, better amp, to put it bluntly. I have about 300-350 to spend but I can probably scrounge up about 400. I dig Crates and Peaveys, but both are freaking expensive for half-stacks. Can anyone guide my little lost soul to a nice-sounding, but loudenoughtobeheardoverafreakingdrummer amp that won't kill my bank account?

If it matters at all, I play metal.

Uhhh....is this thread a joke? 400$ are you kidding? if the VK is out of your price range then you know your a cheapass. So you dont mind sounding like absolute crap as long as your louder than the drummer? You're a joke.
why halfstack? if u say its cos they look cool, imma slap u.

a combo will do u fine. u'll be able to get a peavey valveking combo with that kind of money.
and as the other guys said, tube combos are heaps louder than ss combos with the same wattage.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
save a little more and get a randall rg50tc
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by gnr_axeman74
Uhhh....is this thread a joke? 400$ are you kidding? if the VK is out of your price range then you know your a cheapass. So you dont mind sounding like absolute crap as long as your louder than the drummer? You're a joke.

There's a difference between being cheap and not having any more cash to spend. Stop being a douche.

Anyway, first, i advise you look used. Maybe you can find a randall combo or something of that nature? Used is always the best way to spend your money on a tight budget.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by gnr_axeman74

Calm the **** down dude.

Get a crate palomino. They are well under 400 if you get the 15 w
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
I'd reccomend a Peavey Valveking 112, or a Randall RG50TC. Try 'em both. I think they'll have enough gain for you, if used with with humbuckers.
Quote by gnr_axeman74

As previously stated by someone else, I'm not a cheapass, you douchebag, I just don't have the money to spend. Sorry mommy and daddy don't fund their little boy like you.

Macaroni: No, haha, not at all. I just figured I'd either run with a half-stack or a decent tube.
Again with the n00b question, though, is a 50 watt tube gonna get me over a full band?

And thank you, everyone else who took the time to give me real advice instead of straight bashing me.
Quote by Maj. Tom

Gear:
Crate G-40 or something
Quote by Azgirio
^50 watts all tube can easily keep up with, if not overpower, a full band.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
It really depends on the band. Our bassist is using a 1000 watt GK rig and our drummer regularly breaks stands. 100 watts (tube) requires a PA.

But as a more general rule unless you're dealing with adverse circumstances, a 50 watt tube combo will be all you ever need, if it's not then look into PA equipment.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Tell the bass to turn it down lol
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory