Page 1 of 2
Me and a few friends have finally started getting good enough to start a band. We've learned a few covers, and will only be doing them until we find out our style.

Anyway, I really need your opinions. If you look at my gear, I'm really not all that ready for a gig. Please help me decide a new gig-worthy guitar and amp so i can start saving up

I play rhythm and a little bit of lead. We are playing everything from Metallica to Weezer.

Amp wise, I don't know what i need. preferably a half-stack, but I don't know how to go about finding whats good (obviously, since I have a spider lol)

Guitar wise, I have a MIM Fat Strat with a SD JB humbucker and stock single coils. Idk if I should just put 2 hot rails in for the stocks, a hot rail and cold rail, or just get a new guitar, (like the epi LP custom)

Please help me, Im still a little in the dark when it comes to whats good. Thank You!
well your sig says your fund is $120 so i'd say you're a little ways away from a $600 dollar guitar.

but if you have more money somewhere else, the epi lp custom is a great guitar.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Pedophilia all the way man. Go for it.

Quote by deathbat831
hahaha i thought you wrote Philidelphia all the way, i was like yeah philidelphias cool i spose

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I'm always too embarrassed to buy condoms. Saran wrap is cheaper, anyway.
An epi may be a good choice, But I donno you decide.

you do NOT need a halfstack, 50 watts will be more than enough for gigging, and if at bigger venues, they'll probably mic it up.

I'll check with you tomorrow, have to get some sleep
You don't need a new guitar that bad, the fender should hold up nicely, however you do need a new amp, peavey 112 valveking maybe?
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
Your guitar is pretty good, you should save up for a used jcm series amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
you're betting getting off a new amp. that's all you need. you're guitar is decent enough why change it?
and i think a tube combo like a VK would be better for your back than gigging around with a half-stack.
you don't really need a half stack, but you do need a new amp. maybe a roland cube. the cube 60 is loud enough alone to cause some ear damage

edit* and guitar-wise. don't worry your fine there
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
Yeah, your guitar should be fine. As for an amp, you don't NEED a halfstack. But it won't be any better than a good 50 or 100 watt combo. I gig with a 100 watt Peavey ValveKing 2x12 and it's more than enough power.
dont guitar a cube, get a nice tube combo, like a fender hot rod deluxe or peavey classic 30 or valveking
So keep the guitar, worry about amp? gotcha. So i take it from these posts that for now i'm better off getting a combo tube amp. What is the best one that will handle Clear clean chords to heavily distorted rhythms to very good leads?

Thanks for your help
your 2 fenders are good enough to gig with

like a poster above said, you probably wanna check out some tube combos like a valveking, hot rod, or palomino, but your gear fund is a little low for that
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
i just recommended a cube cause the best thing he can get around his price range is a cube. but even the 60 a lot more expensive than his fund.
(>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')> (>'.')>
Yeah I agree with all of these cats, your guitar is fine. Pickup upgrades never hurt but I would worry about the amp first. I to would suggest getting a combo tube amp. If you ever need anything bigger it will be miced anyways. Try some out and see what you like the best. If you want something that has a really nice clean I really like Vox. You might want to check out the vox ac15 or ac30, then get a good distortion pedal. For the peda l Iwould suggest the visual sound Jekyll & Hyde. You can use it for distortion and overdrive. I run one through my JCM 800 and i LOVE it! Ultimatly its your desicion though so go try some stuff out and see what you like best.
Last edited by Alex88 at Jan 27, 2008,
Well money wise, i can always save up. so around 400-800 is where im looking to spend. Im seeing a lot of support for a 100 watt Valveking, and i might save up for that. Is that the absolute best for its price range?
If thats the kind of amp you want I would just go for the 50 watt 112 valveking. It will have more than enough power plus it will save you $200. They are good amps but really you just need to go and try some different ones out somewhere to see what YOU like the best.
Quote by cccasey14
Well money wise, i can always save up. so around 400-800 is where im looking to spend. Im seeing a lot of support for a 100 watt Valveking, and i might save up for that. Is that the absolute best for its price range?

you could swing a 5150 for that price range, assuming you dont need cleans

or like another dude said, you could get an ac30 in that price range, assuming that you dont need a lot of gain
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by the boogieman
you could swing a 5150 for that price range, assuming you dont need cleans

or like another dude said, you could get an ac30 in that price range, assuming that you dont need a lot of gain

I want a good mixture of both. I want the best versatile tube combo amp

I would like to try some out, but there isnt a good guitar store around here
Quote by cccasey14

You don't need the 100w version, just get the 50w(1x12) version, it'll be plently...All this talk about tube amps makes me want one
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
I ebayed a JCM 800 combo for $700. It's not big, but it's pretty damn loud!
I want very high quality, too.

what do you guys think about a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410?
The Hot Rod (I have the deluxe 1x12 version) will have more than enough power for the job and the cleans will be rather good. You'll need a pedal to get anything towards metal though.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
go to a guitar center and try stuff out.
Up the Punx!
Just become a rent boy for a few weeks to get some decent money together.

Then buy a Line 6 Spider Valve 112. Sick amp.
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Quote by cccasey14
No GC around here.

Whats a rent boy lol

Basically you rent your body out to willing individuals. You can actually charge around £15-£20 if you are a pretty boy and give a good suck or wank. Double that money if you have a tight arsehole.
Quote by Chinfrim
Sadly we have not shotguns and go around saying "Get Out of Mah Propertay!!"
Quote by scottp_15
Basically you rent your body out to willing individuals. You can actually charge around £15-£20 if you are a pretty boy and give a good suck or wank. Double that money if you have a tight arsehole.

Quote by cccasey14

So you are actually considering it? nice job, one advice, don't work for michael jackson, bad things happen.

Anyways, just play any amp, Doesn't HAVE to be GC, you might try any store that's nearby
Don't have any nearby, thats the problem. Thats why i ask you guys so many questions
IMO the Hotrod's are not worth it. The overdrive channel is pretty crap honestly, and the cleans are just meh for the price. You could get a much nicer Fender for the same price used. Fender Super Reverbs go for about 700 if your lucky on ebay. Honestly it's not awful, but you could get a much nicer amp for that price escpecially if you went used.

People who own it may come in and say that it is great, and you can get good tones out of it, but its really not worth the price, you will hear the difference if you play some higher end amps.
Last edited by FendermanOC at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by cccasey14
Don't have any nearby, thats the problem. Thats why i ask you guys so many questions

Never buy an amp or anything for that matter, just by some good reviews and Ugers telling you. I know that some of the Ugers are experienced and have tried/owned that item. But still you might feel differently.

UGLY EDIT:The Traynor YCV50 is kind of between marshall and fenders. I tried one with different tubes and it was really really good. And MY friend has showed me a hundred thousand clips of him playing when he had the stock tubes in it, The cleans are pretty glassy like fender, and the overdrive is kind of punchy, like some marshalls
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by cccasey14
I like the thought of that Traynor. Is one speaker still good?

Yeah, its more than enough IMHO, You are not playing at Rock AM Ring, and even if you were, they would mic it up. 100 watts and 50 watts are pretty much the same, the noticeable difference is very slight. But the 100 has slightly more clean headroom. But yeah the ycv50 will do the trick. And if you wanna go completely deaf then you can always spend 300 and get an external cabinet
just to throw it out there... you could gig right now if you wanted to with your current rig. your spider doesn't give the best tone but it's loud and your audience won't be able to tell that it's only mediocre tone
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
either get the 50 watt vk and get a speaker upgrade with the leftover money (green backs, or vintage 30's) or just go used and look for a marshall jcm 800 combo
Quote by GdayArmstrong
either get the 50 watt vk and get a speaker upgrade with the leftover money (green backs, or vintage 30's) or just go used and look for a marshall jcm 800 combo

I was seriously considering doing that. What would the best new speaker be?
Page 1 of 2